PDA

View Full Version : Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

floskate
11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Edited because I cannot read apparently!

I agree with her top 3 pairs just not necessarily in that order. ;)

Octoberopals
11-15-2011, 09:05 PM
OK......where's the Dance List????:)

Iceman
11-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Pj should have titled her pieces PJ's my-time (instead of all-time) top ten. A serious undertaking of this would require hours of reviewing exisitng vids and reading of history.

It would, indeed, be a fantasy competition if Sarah competed and managed other than a last place finish. And what would this fantasy competition be like---would it include figures, short and long and would it be judged under 6.0 or whatever came before that or cop. Figures defeated quite a few of the skaters we now laud.

Personally, her highest scores not withstanding, I don't think Yu-na is among the greats and she doesn't seem headed in that direction either.

riveredge
11-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Pj should have titled her pieces PJ's my-time (instead of all-time) top ten. A serious undertaking of this would require hours of reviewing exisitng vids and reading of history.

It would, indeed, be a fantasy competition if Sarah competed and managed other than a last place finish. And what would this fantasy competition be like---would it include figures, short and long and would it be judged under 6.0 or whatever came before that or cop. Figures defeated quite a few of the skaters we now laud.

Personally, her highest scores not withstanding, I don't think Yu-na is among the greats and she doesn't seem headed in that direction either.

And why? I agree Yuna is not the greatest. I think she needs more world titles. But I'm curious to why she's not among? :confused:

KatieC
11-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I clicked on the link for Underhill and Martini, haven't watched that in a long, long time. They were good. I always thought it was a shame they weren't able to hang around the eligible ranks a little longer.

judgejudy27
11-17-2011, 02:41 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-pairs.html

PJ's pairs picks!

I have to agree with her on the majority of the list (especially the top 3).

What are your thoughts?

Mostly a good list. Valova & Vasiliev and Totmianina & Marinin both deserve to be in the top 10 though. Shen & Zhou also should be much lower than #4.

essence_of_soy
11-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I clicked on the link for Underhill and Martini, haven't watched that in a long, long time. They were good. I always thought it was a shame they weren't able to hang around the eligible ranks a little longer.

What better way to retire from eligible competition after such a devastating loss in Sarejevo than to go out on top in your own country. Their worlds win is my favourite pairs free skate ever.

They were able to capitalise on their win with a fabulous professional career that lasted 13 years, too.

bardtoob
11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Barbara Ann Scott was an Olympic, World, European, North American, and National Champion. She was also the first lady to perform 2Lz in competition. She deserves #1.

The rest, well whatever floats your boat, but I could have easily left off Yu-Na or Sarah Hughes and replaced them with the inventor of the layback spin or camel spin, who is also the lady that contributed the most to the technical elements of skating.

bardtoob
11-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Sarah doesnt even come close to Baiul or Lipinski in greatness and those two probably would barely make the top 30 all time. So I doubt Sarah would make the top 50. She would probably be roughly around someone like Butyrskaya (or lower). Putting Sarah Hughes in the top 10 all time makes about as much sense as putting Ina & Zimmerman as a top 10 pair team of all time.

:o PJ did it only because Sarah is a dual citizen :rolleyes:

briancoogaert
11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-pairs.html

PJ's pairs picks!

I have to agree with her on the majority of the list (especially the top 3).

What are your thoughts?
Not necesseraly in that order, but I agree with her picks.

fsfan22
11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-ice-dance.html

PJ's Top 10 Dance picks!

What do you guys think?

briancoogaert
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-ice-dance.html

PJ's Top 10 Dance picks!

What do you guys think?
Good for me :)

Karpenko
11-24-2011, 12:06 PM
She lost me at the Duchesnays, and no Krylova & Ovsiannikov but you include Davis & White? Really?! Denkova & Staviski, Usova & Zhulin, and even Navka & Kostomarov should've been here before a few towards the end of the list.

briancoogaert
11-24-2011, 05:57 PM
She lost me at the Duchesnays, and no Krylova & Ovsiannikov but you include Davis & White? Really?! Denkova & Staviski, Usova & Zhulin, and even Navka & Kostomarov should've been here before a few towards the end of the list.
LOL, Duchesnays and DavisWhite are only #9 and #10, although she had Sarah Hughes and so on in the top ladies.
Her top 8 is realistic ! ;)

4rkidz
11-25-2011, 12:49 AM
I like some of her top tens but would take out Sarah Hughes from the women, I don't think with her limited longevity and technique she should make it.. and also would add Bourne & Kratz to the top ten - perhaps even replace McCall and Wilson or the other Canadians.. I totally agree with the top three in the pairs and the top ladies and dance but not really the rest..