PDA

View Full Version : Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

caseyedwards
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM
He may be setting the pace for Sochi and be really talented in all levels but Chan is just premature!

professordeb
11-08-2011, 11:55 PM
He may be setting the pace for Sochi and be really talented in all levels but Chan is just premature!

Premature? HUH??? I pretty sure he's fully formed and has probably reached his max on height. :D
Maybe you meant immature? as in still a young man?

kwanette
11-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Premature? HUH??? I pretty sure he's fully formed and has probably reached his max on height. :D

Perhaps what caseyedwards meant was that it was premature to put Patrick on the list of "greats" as he has a way to go in his career.

professordeb
11-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Perhaps what caseyedwards meant was that it was premature to put Patrick on the list of "greats" as he has a way to go in his career.

Ok, using premature in that context would make sense. Thanks

judgejudy27
11-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Sarah Hughes? Karen Magnussen? Elizabeth Manley? I'd replace them with Irina Slutskaya, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Joannie Rochette. And then switch around the order of finish.

Rochette does not deserve to be on the list at all. Certainly not more than Manley or Magnussen (and I wouldnt have either of those on the top 10 list either btw). Magnussen and Manley were greater forces in their time than Rochette was in hers. Rochette had one Worlds and one Olympics she could have medaled in only, and she was never a gold threat at either. She did not have the skills to match the best of her era- Kim or Asada, while Magnussen and Manley did have the skills on their best day in certain ways to match or exceed the best of their time. Manley was close to winning both the 88 Olympics and 88 Worlds, and won the LP at both, and was a threat to win the 87 Worlds had she skated her best LP. Magnussen did win Worlds, an Olympic silver, and 4 straight World or Olympic medals. Not to mention some people dont even agree with Rochette's World silver and Olympic bronze (I do but some have argued them).

Hughes in the top 10 is the biggest joke ever though. Hughes wouldnt make my top 50, maybe not even my top 100 if I went through all the top skaters in history. Hughes above Kwan and even Slutskaya, hahaha. SLC was just one event, and she had to skate out of her skin to beat those two skating their worst. Slutskaya would have even easily won with her 2000 and 2001 Worlds performances, which werent even her best and where she lost to Kwan, but still would have been enough to have beaten Hughes "performance of a lifetime". Kwan owned Hughes like her pet mule on the whole, 9 U.S titles to 0, 9 World medals to 1 World bronze.

t.mann
11-09-2011, 03:21 AM
top 10 men

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-men.html

My top3 men(Curry, Kurt, Yagudin) all are on the list. :swoon:

And I am glad that Plushenko makes the list, although he is not my type of skater.
What a charisma. A GRAND presence on the ice.

shine
11-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Chan???? Already????

caseyedwards
11-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Ok, using premature in that context would make sense. Thanks

kwanette is correct.

Japanfan
11-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure whether Orser, Boitano, or Stojko would make my top ten.

And Chan needs a few more seasons to qualify for greatness IMO - though he is heading in that direction.

Cheylana
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Evidently it is PJ's list of who she'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time, ranked in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if PJ were the sole judge.
But she said the event would include the 10 best of all time, so she is effectively picking her top ten best of all time. I don't see how Sarah Hughes could even conceivably be considered 10 best of all time. I could understand if this were a list of her 10 favorite Olympic performances, because even though I'm not a SH fan, I will admit she gave a very strong freeskate performance in SLC. But top ten ladies skater of all time, based on one great performance? Hellz no. I think PJ just wanted to include skaters that average Canadian citizens have heard of, and Sarah got a lot of attention winning OGM right after the SLC pairs scandal.

judgejudy27
11-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Sarah doesnt even come close to Baiul or Lipinski in greatness and those two probably would barely make the top 30 all time. So I doubt Sarah would make the top 50. She would probably be roughly around someone like Butyrskaya (or lower). Putting Sarah Hughes in the top 10 all time makes about as much sense as putting Ina & Zimmerman as a top 10 pair team of all time.

fsfan22
11-15-2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-pairs.html

PJ's pairs picks!

I have to agree with her on the majority of the list (especially the top 3).

What are your thoughts?

Zemgirl
11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
PJ's pairs picks!

I have to agree with her on the majority of the list (especially the top 3).

What are your thoughts?
Not exactly what I'd expected, especially the order of the top 3 (and putting B/S ahead of S/P - didn't see that coming). I'm not sure why PJ has S/S on her list; she doesn't seem to like their programs much - or, I think, to really get what they're trying to accomplish.

It's a pretty good list, overall.

Rafter
11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
She lost me at: 1. Barbara Ann Scott.

Does the CBC force her to have X number of Canadians on the list?

This list is ridiculous IMO.

fsfan22
11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
She lost me at: 1. Barbara Ann Scott.

Does the CBC force her to have X number of Canadians on the list?

This list is ridiculous IMO.

I'm curious as to who your #1 pick would be. Barbara Ann Scott definitely deserves to be on the list, regardless of what ranking, purely based on her merit and ability during her era.