PDA

View Full Version : Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

museksk8r
11-06-2011, 06:37 AM
For example, my personal favorite list would include Butyrskaya. I understand how many would mock that choice, but you know what, I loves her. I loves her stiff knees, her temper tantrums, her funky landings and her often questionable taste in costumes, but watching her brings me joy. Whatever it is in skating that makes you feel connected to the sport, she had it for me.

BUTE FTW!:glamor::respec:

hitchem
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Whether it's a personal fantasy list or not, it's hard to taker her seriously as a figure skating commentator after a list like this. If an historian said his/her favorite American presidents were George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, and Richard Nixon, I'd think, ok, that's obviously a personal list, and this is subjective, but you obviously have an agenda, and you're not really credible. The same goes here: her national pride clouds her ability to discern figure skating talent.

equatorial
11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
What?! No Jennnifer Robinson? THE "Top 10 JenRo"? The girl is an epitome of Top-10-ness! Roll over Kwan, you failed to win a single Olympic gold anyway. Make way for JenRo! :saint:

berthesghost
11-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I can't wait to see PJ's top10 Men list. :watch:
1. Patrick Chan
2. Kurt Browning
3. Brian Orser
4. Don Jackson
5. Vern Taylor
6. Elvis Stoyko
7. Jeff Buttle
8. Eman Sandu
9. Dick Button
10. Phillippe Candeloro (she liked when he took his shirt off)
:D

briancoogaert
11-06-2011, 01:55 PM
1. Patrick Chan
2. Kurt Browning
3. Brian Orser
4. Don Jackson
5. Vern Taylor
6. Elvis Stoyko
7. Jeff Buttle
8. Eman Sandu
9. Dick Button
9. Dick who ??? I think her choice was Sebastien Britten, and really, I think she is right, because I loved his skating ! :P

l'etoile
11-06-2011, 02:12 PM
1. Patrick Chan
2. Kurt Browning
3. Brian Orser
4. Don Jackson
5. Vern Taylor
6. Elvis Stoyko
7. Jeff Buttle
8. Eman Sandu
9. Dick Button

OFF THE TOPIC but Emanuel Sandhu! How long have I been missing that name? What is he up to lately? I watched several clips of him skating in galas in Europe.

MacMadame
11-06-2011, 05:17 PM
professordeb, even with the addition of "for me" it still doesn't makes much sense IMO... for someone to argue that Kwan was the first whose "choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins" makes me wonder what exactly that person has been watching over the years - surely it suggests that some great performances were missed or ignored.
She probably didn't watch figure skating outside of Canadian ladies until later than people like Lynn were competing. So those people, seen after the fact, sometimes in short clips, probably didn't move her personally like seeing Kwan did.

I can understand that but I think it's unfortunate too.

And I still think it's crazy to think Salome wouldn't beat Hughes' Olympic LP hands down in a face off. ;)

OFF THE TOPIC but Emanuel Sandhu! How long have I been missing that name? What is he up to lately? I watched several clips of him skating in galas in Europe.
I heard a rumor he was signed up for Canadian Sectionals.

Zemgirl
11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
She probably didn't watch figure skating outside of Canadian ladies until later than people like Lynn were competing. So those people, seen after the fact, sometimes in short clips, probably didn't move her personally like seeing Kwan did.
I agree, but I don't think you need to go back to Janet Lynn to find another example of a skater who used the music well - as someone pointed out already in this thread, just minutes before Kwan skated Salome at 96 Worlds, Lu Chen gave a beautiful performance to Rach 2. And she also skated the fabulous Last Emperor FS in 1995 - choreographed by a Canadian, no less, so how is she not on the list? ;)

Bournekraatzfan
11-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I think if we made a personal top 10 list, we'd all have one or two skaters that lots of others would have serious WTF moments. I wouldn't believe a personal favorite list that was all consistently good skaters who are all World and Olympic medalists. I would look at that and say, this person isn't a real fan.

For example, my personal favorite list would include Butyrskaya. I understand how many would mock that choice, but you know what, I loves her. I loves her stiff knees, her temper tantrums, her funky landings and her often questionable taste in costumes, but watching her brings me joy. Whatever it is in skating that makes you feel connected to the sport, she had it for me.

all of this. I am also surprised by some of the inclusions and some of the omissions, but I don't think there really is any universal list. My list would be stacked with US ladies, though, and Kristi would be on it for what she did for pro women's skating.

and I also loved Butyrskaya. I was so excited when I got to see her skate live--she just has so much presence. I cannot tell you exactly why aside from that presence, but watching her also brings me joy, and that is all I need to know:)

also, just my opinion, but I want to add that I do not think that marbri meant to belittle anyone, though I can understand why that comment was interpreted in that way. I think marbri wanted to point out that our confusion at PJ's list does not really justify calling her names. and we know PJ sometimes looks at these boards...I am just hoping she does not stumble upon this thread (even though I think the majority of the posts are really interesting).

npavel
11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
she said Yagudin was on her list

VIETgrlTerifa
11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
she said Yagudin was on her list

I don't think she wants to risk the wrath of the Yagudin die-hards. I know I wouldn't want to.

mag
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
...I heard a rumor he was signed up for Canadian Sectionals.

I heard the same thing and that he is training at 8-Rinks. Haven't heard anything about a coach though .... I'll have to see what I can dig up.

caseyedwards
11-08-2011, 07:44 PM
top 10 men

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/pjs-all-time-top-10-men.html

professordeb
11-08-2011, 07:50 PM
I like PJ's top 10 men.

kwanette
11-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I like PJ's top 10 men.

Me, too. I just replaced Plushy with Scott Hamilton.