PDA

View Full Version : Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

euterpe
11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Sarah Hughes is on the list because her father is a Canadian citizen, and Sarah herself holds a Canadian passport. Tara Lipinski doesn't have a Canadian connection.

marbri
11-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Soo... We're invited to disagree, and when we do, we're belittled for our opinions? :shuffle:

I said some people.

Why would she publish her personal list if she didn't want people to discuss it? :rolleyes:

Where did I say she didn't want you to discuss it? She specifically invites you to do so in the article. I gave my two cents on some posts here that went the usually :blah::blah::blah: route.

RumbleFish
11-04-2011, 03:29 PM
No Arakawa?:confused:

What's with the :confused:? Not surprising at all.

Rob
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I would have included Peggy, Kristi or Tara instead of Hughes.
Yes, or Irina, Mao, Shizuka. Maybe even Sasha. Probably one of those instead of Liz Manley too. If this were the Top 10 Surprising Moments in Ladies Figure Skating, I might have Sarah or Liz high on the list.

attyfan
11-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, or Irina, Mao, Shizuka. Maybe even Sasha. Probably one of those instead of Liz Manley too. If this were the Top 10 Surprising Moments in Ladies Figure Skating, I might have Sarah or Liz high on the list.

Or, if it were Top 10 Canadian Connections ... although that would mean kicking Henie off the list, in favor of Rochetee.

flutzilla1
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Hughes on the list, period, is the question, as well as Janet Lynn being left off the list. It's like placing Evan Lysacek on the list ahead of Brian Boitano and completely leaving off John Curry. Seriously, WTF?! :confused::eek::blah::shuffle:

:respec: :respec:

julieann
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Hughes :rofl:

Yazmeen
11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I think the "Hughes" point is that she looked at this from the POV of winning a single competition, and Sarah certainly did put it out there when needed at the biggest comp ever, so I can understand why she'd be there even though she's way out of my top 10.

I submitted a comment with my top 10, waiting for it top be moderated. They were: Kwan, Henie, Lynn, Kim, Ito, Fleming, Hamill, Witt, Yamaguchi, Schuba (before you think I'm crazy, I put Schuba in there because of figures; they are the entire basis for the sport itself, and she was the best).

clara00
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the "Hughes" point is that she looked at this from the POV of winning a single competition, and Sarah certainly did put it out there when needed at the biggest comp ever, so I can understand why she'd be there even though she's way out of my top 10.

I submitted a comment with my top 10, waiting for it top be moderated. They were: Kwan, Henie, Lynn, Kim, Ito, Fleming, Hamill, Witt, Yamaguchi, Schuba (before you think I'm crazy, I put Schuba in there because of figures; they are the entire basis for the sport itself, and she was the best).

i totally agree. :respec:

berthesghost
11-04-2011, 04:47 PM
actually, what she said was...
A perfect performances when it counts is very rare in skating, but Hughes delivered one of them on that special night in Salt Lake City, where the stars were aligned and she owned the event. Never happened again for her. which is IMHO complete and utter nonsense making her look stupid.

Does she seriously think Hughes "owned the event" in SLC in a way that Tara failed to in 98, or Kristi failed to in 92, or Janet failed to in 72 or Peggy failed to in 68, etc..? :rolleyes:

her reasoning for Hughes could be said for almost everyone of the other 9 on the list, but not the other way around.

escaflowne9282
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
actually, what she said was... which is IMHO complete and utter nonsense making her look stupid.

Does she seriously think Hughes "owned the event" in SLC in a way that Tara failed to in 98, or Kristi failed to in 92, or Janet failed to in 72 or Peggy failed to in 68, etc..? :rolleyes:

her reasoning for Hughes could be said for almost everyone of the other 9 on the list, but not the other way around.

Heh, and did "owning the event" include being egregiously held up in the short program based on home cooking and a previous World medal won by default?

Jammers
11-04-2011, 05:40 PM
What kind of list is this anyways? No Janet Lynn no Peggy Fleming? But one hit wonders like Sarah Hughes or Elizabeth Manley make the list? And no Carol Heiss who dominated in her time like no skater since Sonja Henie? Looking at this list you'd think it was Canadian women who won 7 OGM's not the US.

gkelly
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Evidently it is PJ's list of who she'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time, ranked in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if PJ were the sole judge.

So it's PJ's personal top 10 list, not her pronouncement of the top 10 ever that everyone must agree on.

But the wording is ambiguous and certainly suggests the latter, which is why so many whose own personal lists or attempts at universal lists are very different take exception.

briancoogaert
11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
LOL, Sarah Hughes and Liz Manley ?

Louise
11-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I particularly enjoyed how she implied that the ISU changed skating scoring and added a SP due to the brilliance of the Canadian woman skater she picked at the time (god, I just read it and am blanking.) Anyway, the one who beat JANET LYNN (who was most likely responsible for the scoring changes and addition of a SP, certainly not Canadian lady)