PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Me too. Lets write to the Clarence House. :COP:

PDilemma
11-07-2011, 05:10 PM
A
I'm now thinking Charlotte Frances Elizabeth. That way they honour Charles, Diana, Kate's father (whose own father shares the same middle name), Kate's mother, Kate's own middle name, and of course the Queen.

I like it! Excellent work.

Now who is going to write the letter for us? Or should we wait until we agree on a boy name, too? :D

IceAlisa
11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Lets hear some boy names!

danceronice
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
George Henry Charles Francis? I do think the Queen (assuming HM is still with us when William and Kate have children, as she's not getting any younger, but her mother certainly had a longevity gene!) would be absolutely thrilled to have an heir named for her father and grandfather. (I'd definitely keep any references to the Spencers and Diana well down the list of names to avoid offense to the Queen.)

And I say if you have a legitimate excuse to use four names, go for it. Though I think taking the lead from the queen's late Uncle David (Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David) might be carrying things a bit far.

IceAlisa
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I wonder how they decide what name to use in every day life. Doesn't always seem to be the first name.

Another question: will Camilla be Queen when Charles ascends to the throne? Will Kate?

mag
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
The current story is that Camilla will not be queen, but I think that is a public relations ploy to appease the Diana ubers. I suspect Charles will insist she be queen unless, of course, she doesn't want to. Kate, barring any unforeseen events, should be made queen when William becomes King.

Jenny
11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
:encore: whee glad you all like :)

For the queen title discussion, it looks like all the kings in the House of Windsor have given their wives the title of queen, so I expect Charles to do the same, and there's been no discussion that I've seen that Kate will be anything other than queen.

The two queens, Victoria and Elizabeth II, did not bestow the title of king on their husbands. I expect this is a product of their times, to ensure that there was no question of who was in charge, and it's a tradition that's likely to continue IMO.

IceAlisa
11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Some actress I don't know will portray Diana: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-projector/jessica-chastain-princess-di-155332918.html

PDilemma
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
:encore: whee glad you all like :)

For the queen title discussion, it looks like all the kings in the House of Windsor have given their wives the title of queen, so I expect Charles to do the same, and there's been no discussion that I've seen that Kate will be anything other than queen.

The two queens, Victoria and Elizabeth II, did not bestow the title of king on their husbands. I expect this is a product of their times, to ensure that there was no question of who was in charge, and it's a tradition that's likely to continue IMO.

Victoria wanted to give Albert the title "King Consort" (Camilla and Kate would both be entitled to the title "Queen Consort" when their husbands are Kings) and Parliament did not agree because he was a foreigner.

attyfan
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Queen Anne's husband was also referred to as "Prince"; I think that Mary I's husband was called "King" because he was the king of other countries (although he may have been recognized somewhat as "King of England"). I believe that the only consort who was formally treated as a "King of England" was William III, husband of Mary II ... because it was the army controlled by William (due to his status as ruler of the Netherlands) that provided the force behind the "Glorious Revolution"

danceronice
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Mary I = Mary Tudor? IIRC her husband was King of Spain, wasn't he? So he was already a king. But there wasn't any question that the succession passed through Mary's family line, meaning when she died childless her half-sister Elizabeth was the next heir. "King of England" (or in this case King of Great Britain etc.) is usually a title reserved for the reigning monarch. So I can see not wanting to use "King" where "Prince Consort" will do.

As for Camilla, I would bet it WILL come down to the mood of things whether she's Queen Consort or Princess Consort (and if they go for the latter I can see them making the official reason "she is not the mother of the heir"). I mean, she is in fact entitled to style herself Princess of Wales, but doesn't because the Diana ubers would crucify her and Charles both.

Fergus
11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
George Philip Michael Charles :)

PDilemma
11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
George Philip Michael Charles :)

We can't have "George" and "Michael" both :scream:

It reminds me too much of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0 :lol:

Jenny
11-07-2011, 11:03 PM
According to thepeerage.com, Mary's husband Philip was giving the title of King of England when they married. No word on when he lost the title, but one can assume :lol:

Also, here are the titles they list for the more recent spouses we've been discussing:

Prince Albert of the United Kingdom (upon marriage in 1840)
Prince Consort Albert of the United Kingdom (in 1857)

Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom (in 1902 shortly after hubby became king)

Queen Consort Mary of the United Kingdom (in 1910 when hubby became king)

Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom (in 1937, a year after hubby became king)

Prince Philip of the United Kingdom (in 1957, five years after his wife became queen)

attyfan
11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
... As for Camilla, I would bet it WILL come down to the mood of things whether she's Queen Consort or Princess Consort (and if they go for the latter I can see them making the official reason "she is not the mother of the heir"). I mean, she is in fact entitled to style herself Princess of Wales, but doesn't because the Diana ubers would crucify her and Charles both.

I thought that it was decided when she and Charles married that that she wouldn't be entitled to style herself Princess of Wales, and won't be styled "queen". She is styled "Duchess of Cornwall", as one of Charles's "lesser" titles.