PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67

nubka
05-13-2012, 03:46 AM
What is it like to be the queen for a day? Read on: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2143147/Liz-Jones-Queen-Elizabeth-Jones-Fancy-living-like-Her-Maj-day-I-tried-says-fashion-queen--waving-smiling-hell.html :) :)

nubka
05-13-2012, 03:51 AM
diana knew HOW to wear them that is for sure- she always looked perfect- the right amount of bling for the occasion -
gosh I miss her - seems silly to say about someone I only ever saw and never even spoke to- but I was saying to my mum the other day- that the world press just seem to be trying to hard to make every young royal into a NEW diana- and sorry to say there can never be another...

Except when she wore this headband... http://blog.ice.com/wp-content/princess-diana-choker-headband1.jpg :scream: :scream:

Gazpacho
05-13-2012, 06:10 AM
I was a big Diana fan, and remain fond of her memory, but I'll go out on a limb and say Kate is well on her way - I don't want to sound like it's a competition but - to becoming just as popular, if not more so. Diana was many wonderful things, but her popularity also came to an extent from people taking sides and deciding that she was the underdog/victim/poor thing, as you say. I think it was more than that. Diana had the intangible ability to evoke emotions in people--almost all of them people who had never met her. That started far before the scandals. The only analogy I can think of off the top of my head is Judy Garland among singers.

Kate doesn't have that. She is and will continue to be well liked, but I don't think she has that "it" factor that makes people emotionally connect the way Diana did. That's not a good/bad judgment, just an observation.

Fergus
05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Just watched some clips online and noticed that the Sovereign's Lunch on May 18th occurs on the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of HMQ's parents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3KUKZ5y_Yss#!). :)

CORRECTION: The Coronation of TM King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2143418/There-wonder-Papa-crowned.html) occurred on May 12th, 1937, not May 18th. Sorry. :)

Alixana
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Except when she wore this headband... http://blog.ice.com/wp-content/princess-diana-choker-headband1.jpg :scream: :scream:

Hey it was the 80s. We all wore things we regret now. :yikes:

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 06:48 PM
She was copying a look that was popular in the 1920's.
Some of the royals of that era wore bandeau tiaras that rested on their foreheads.

Lorac
05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I think it was more than that. Diana had the intangible ability to evoke emotions in people--almost all of them people who had never met her. That started far before the scandals. The only analogy I can think of off the top of my head is Judy Garland among singers.

Kate doesn't have that. She is and will continue to be well liked, but I don't think she has that "it" factor that makes people emotionally connect the way Diana did. That's not a good/bad judgment, just an observation.

I totally disagree with this. Diana evoked emotions - both positive and negative - because of all the drama surrounding her marriage falling apart. Before that she was similar to what Kate is now - a popular member of the Firm because of who she married. After her marriage fell apart and up to and following her divorce Diana played the press for all they were worth to (artifically IMHO) set herself up as a 'Queen of Hearts. She really worked that angle for all it was worth to evoke as much sympathy as she could - and I can fully understand whay she did that. And of course once she died in that awful and tragic manner at a young age she was put up high on a pedastal and it has taken a long time to many people to accept she wasn't perfect.

Of course Kate won't evoke those extremes of sympathy because her situation is so much different - but there is no doubt from all thsoe who are meeting her that she has a huge pull with the public who are taking ehr to their hearts and I believe has the potential to grow into as much of an icon as Diana was.

victoriajh
05-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I think it was more than that. Diana had the intangible ability to evoke emotions in people--almost all of them people who had never met her. That started far before the scandals. The only analogy I can think of off the top of my head is Judy Garland among singers.

I TOTALLY agree with you- that helps me to articulate the difference for me- everyone i know expects me to be all gaga over kate becuase I am such a royalist- but i just dont have that connection with kate i had with diana and now i think i understand why!:lol:

PDilemma
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I am continually amused by all the "Kate-watchers" online who seem to think she just randomly opens her closet for an official royal engagement and says "hmm....what do I feel like wearing today?"

nubka
05-14-2012, 02:04 AM
She was copying a look that was popular in the 1920's.
Some of the royals of that era wore bandeau tiaras that rested on their foreheads.

Maybe so, but it still looks kinda cheesy/like something Wonder Woman would wear... :rollin:

milanessa
05-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Maybe so, but it still looks kinda cheesy/like something Wonder Woman would wear... :rollin:

:lol: It's not what it looks like now but how it looked then. IIRC she got kudos from the fashion set.

danceronice
05-14-2012, 04:57 AM
As for her hair, it is fabulous, but long hair like that can be very difficult to wear up because of the weight. This up do is great but I wouldn't be surprised to see her hair gradually get a few inches shorter. In fact, I think it has over the last year. Three or four more inches off the length would open up a whole new realm of up do possibilities.

Oh, no, don't start--one of the big reasons long hair looks "immature" is one classic reason women hack off their hair when they're 'older'? Babies tend to grab dangling things and hair hanging down is right in baby range. Now you're going to give the baby-stalkers even more ammo!

(Personally I find long hair much less work than short, as I pull it back, I'm done on the average day, while short hair really has to be styled and then you're constantly having to get cuts. I couldn't even be bothered keeping long layers in.)

I find Kate more appealing than Diana, but part of that may be the fashions. Kate so far's much more to my taste. It's not really Diana's fault but her 'iconic' looks are from the eighties, when 'fashionable' meant you had to look like you had a football player's shoulder pads on and then got run over by a drunk-driven clown car as far as colors go. And I never saw hair on her I thought was at all flattering.

Jenny
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
The extreme formality and reliance on "haute couture"/made to measure attire may by saved for the most formal occasions; or jettisoned altogether, as inappropriate for the Monarchy of the 21st Century.

Even in tough economic times, I do think that people still want to see some grandeur from their royals and other supercelebrities.

I remember the year or two back in the 90s when the trend at the Oscars was to dress down - simple dresses, straight hair, no bling. When I watch the Oscars and see rich and famous stars, I want to see fantasy come to life - designer gowns, gorgeous makeup and hair, fabulous jewels.

Day to day and especially for charity and community work, I think people want to see a "real" princess or queen who wears attainable clothes and wears her favourites over and over. But at the same time, they are supposed to represent all that is grand and glorious about Britain and its history, and let's not pretend they have no money and the queen doesn't have a vault of jewels. When they dress up, they are representing the glory and instilling pride in their people - and helping us live the fantasy.

I'm rambling, but basically I'm saying that the clothing choices of the Queen, Kate, William, Harry, Camilla etc these days are spot on in my opinion. :)

Completely disagree. On a personal level, much as I was swept up by Diana, looking back I think it was as much the *idea* of her as she herself, and the circumstances and sequence of events in her life that made her who she was, and still is.

With Kate, it is again the circumstances of course, but I feel that her personality has come out in much more depth much earlier on, and my feeling is that her story - the story of Kate, not just the story of the future Queen of England - will continue to unfold in ways that Diana's never did.

Much of the emotion surrounding Diana born in negative circumstances, so perhaps more intense - feeling sympathetic for Shy Di, then sorry for her and choosing sides when it fell apart, and hopeful when she seemed to be moving on, to the great tragedy of her death at the very height of her beauty and fame.

I think people have connected emotionally with Kate - I know I have, and to be honest it surprises me even! It's just different. We don't feel sorry for her or fear for her or side with her; we just love her.

All that being said, I do think that aside from apparently being a great mother, Diana's most important and impressive legacy was her charity work, and I really do think that in some ways she changed the world. Unfortunately, all the skandal and drama and celebrity has obscured much of that.

Kate is just one year in - think back to where Diana was in 1982. Big difference I think.

skatesindreams
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Kate has the lessons of "history"; and much more "life experience" to guide her.
She has met the challenge very well, thus far.

nerdycool
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I LOVE that dress on Kate! It's a great color, and it's got lots of interesting details that aren't OTT, and honestly, not something I would expect her to wear. But I think she pulls it off wonderfully. And I'm so happy that she wore her hair up! There's nothing wrong with her wearing it down most of the time, but in my opinion, it's boring to always see the same hairstyle, and it covers her jewelry... so I'm glad to see something different.