PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67

nubka
05-12-2012, 12:40 AM
The color is glorious -- but I liked the style of the ivory gown better. Those shoes are getting a lot of wear -- PRLady would approve of the amortization. ;)

Scrolling down, poor Jayne Torvill desperately needs help w/ a makeover -- that dress is so unflattering to the boobage and her hair! :yikes:

Poor Jane. Play-dough-yellow/damaged looking hair isn't a good look for her. Glossy brunette would be stunning on her, though.

Oreo
05-12-2012, 01:58 AM
My god, that's one of the most gorgeous dresses I've ever seen.

PDilemma
05-12-2012, 02:12 AM
And her hair is up - I think for the first time as a working royal

She wore it up at an event on the Canadian tour:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53818000/jpg/_53818876_012356849-2.jpg

I'm not a fan of up-dos. I really don't understand the fuss about her wearing her hair down. Saw a brouhaha on another site about how she was not "grown-up" if she continued to wear it down. It isn't 1890, people, we don't have to put our hair up after our coming out party to prove we are women. :P

mag
05-12-2012, 03:39 AM
I love her hair up and the color of this dress. However, I feel it's not my favorite, a bit too busy for my taste.

ITA with this. Although, if Kate loves it that's what's important. I really want her to wear more jewels. It seems to me that it is the jewels that separate the royalty from the rest. That dress, but a little less fussy, with a diamond necklace, would be fabulous.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg/30/3015/O86BF00Z.jpg This necklace is too associated with Diana, however, the diamond necklace with another bobble hanging from it would be fabulous on Kate. Diana wore this necklace sometimes with the sapphire and sometimes with a diamond Prince of Wales pendant.

victoriajh
05-12-2012, 06:36 AM
ITA with this. Although, if Kate loves it that's what's important. I really want her to wear more jewels. It seems to me that it is the jewels that separate the royalty from the rest. That dress, but a little less fussy, with a diamond necklace, would be fabulous.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg/30/3015/O86BF00Z.jpg This necklace is too associated with Diana, however, the diamond necklace with another bobble hanging from it would be fabulous on Kate. Diana wore this necklace sometimes with the sapphire and sometimes with a diamond Prince of Wales pendant.

diana knew HOW to wear them that is for sure- she always looked perfect- the right amount of bling for the occasion -
gosh I miss her - seems silly to say about someone I only ever saw and never even spoke to- but I was saying to my mum the other day- that the world press just seem to be trying to hard to make every young royal into a NEW diana- and sorry to say there can never be another...

PDilemma
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM

I'm wondering if it is her choice right now. The Royal Family has been trying to be sensitive to the economic crisis/recession and she may be being limited in how much bling she appears in for that reason. They've been focused on not flaunting their wealth and nothing flaunts it like big jewels. And no matter how much the internet likes to pretend that Kate just grabs something from her closet and goes, her outfits for official events are carefully planned in consultation with staff.

There was no "austerity" during Diana's time and she was freer to rock the bling.

ETA: Every time someone compares the poor woman to her "sainted" dead mother-in-law, I feel so bad for her. No one can match up to a popularly declared martyr like that.

Coco
05-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I like Jayne's dress, but the hair color...um, change it! It washes her out.

I prefer the original pattern of Kate's dress with the color she has it in. You can see the photo towards the bottom. Picky, picky!!

Jenny
05-12-2012, 02:22 PM
OMG I LOVE that dress - she looks absolutely sensational!!! And her hair is up - I think for the first time as a working royal - and it is so beautiful. Prince William looks very proud and and maybe just little possessive - the hand on her back is very telling IMHO - but who could blame him.

:swoon:

And can I just say that William really rocks a tux? So many men look uncomfortable in them or they are ill fitting. Such a prince!

ETA: Every time someone compares the poor woman to her "sainted" dead mother-in-law, I feel so bad for her. No one can match up to a popularly declared martyr like that.

I was a big Diana fan, and remain fond of her memory, but I'll go out on a limb and say Kate is well on her way - I don't want to sound like it's a competition but - to becoming just as popular, if not more so. Diana was many wonderful things, but her popularity also came to an extent from people taking sides and deciding that she was the underdog/victim/poor thing, as you say.

Kate does not have that, so maybe will never achieve the level of cult status that Diana did, but I think she will continue to win hearts and minds and eventually be one of the most beloved royals in history.

skatesindreams
05-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Jenny,

entire post: :respec:

Parsley Sage
05-12-2012, 04:23 PM
:swoon:

And can I just say that William really rocks a tux? So many men look uncomfortable in them or they are ill fitting. Such a prince!

Edward VII had a dark blue smoking jacket made when he was Prince of Wales and I think that was the first appearance of the tailless formal dinner jacket. It's in William's genes. :lol:

Fergus
05-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Just watched some clips online and noticed that the Sovereign's Lunch on May 18th occurs on the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of HMQ's parents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3KUKZ5y_Yss#!). :)

mag
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm wondering if it is her choice right now. The Royal Family has been trying to be sensitive to the economic crisis/recession and she may be being limited in how much bling she appears in for that reason. They've been focused on not flaunting their wealth and nothing flaunts it like big jewels. And no matter how much the internet likes to pretend that Kate just grabs something from her closet and goes, her outfits for official events are carefully planned in consultation with staff.

There was no "austerity" during Diana's time and she was freer to rock the bling.

ITA with the comparisons to Diana. Kate is very much her own person. I used the photo of Diana because, lets face it, there aren't that many younger people rocking the big bling :)

You may have it upon something with the austerity thing. Kate has been wearing pretty much all off the rack clothing. The last two evening dresses (the cream one and this teal one) were not off the rack, but made specifically for her. It is possible that there will be a very gradual shift in both clothing and bling. The slow move towards couture clothing and jewels may also be a comfort thing for Kate. While she comes from a well off family, it is in no way anywhere close to level of the Royal family. She may just not be completely comfortable yet. If that is the case then she should continue to develop her style at her own pace.

As for her hair, it is fabulous, but long hair like that can be very difficult to wear up because of the weight. This up do is great but I wouldn't be surprised to see her hair gradually get a few inches shorter. In fact, I think it has over the last year. Three or four more inches off the length would open up a whole new realm of up do possibilities.

matti
05-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Just watched some clips online and noticed that the Sovereign's Lunch on May 18th occurs on the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of HMQ's parents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3KUKZ5y_Yss#!). :)

Good point! Thanks! :)

This quality clip show more of the actual ceremony, including rarely seen Queen Consort's crowning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jip5deaCy6k

skatesindreams
05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
The extreme formality and reliance on "haute couture"/made to measure attire may by saved for the most formal occasions; or jettisoned altogether, as inappropriate for the Monarchy of the 21st Century.

That said, I hope these traditions never disappear entirely.

Fergus
05-12-2012, 11:17 PM
This quality clip show more of the actual ceremony, including rarely seen Queen Consort's crowning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jip5deaCy6k

Good find! :watch:

I'm SO glad they filmed HMQ's Coronation from soup to nuts. :) Though Larry Olivier lays the narration on a bit thick at times..... :lol: