PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

cygnus
11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
I like Agatha but that's because of Girl Genius (and I bet Alice is a BIG no-no because Camilla's great-grandmother Alice Keppel was a famous mistress of Edward VII. Consider William's stepmother and that whole mess...probably not good to bring up.)

Not sure on Richard...Richard III was not exactly everyone's favorite monarch. (Of course the name "Charles" is supposed to be jinxed, too...) George or Albert (the latter maybe not since it's not very modern) would be a nice nod to George VI ("Bertie"), HM's beloved father. Conversely I bet "David" is not high on the list as that was the name Edward VIII used before he was king and given HM never really forgave the Duke and Duchess of Windsor for the abdication and the stress her father went through, and David was the name he used before becoming king and with the family.

Alice was the name of Prince Philip's mother and great-grandmother (a daughter of Queen Victoria), though- and both were very interesting women.

If we exclude names because they were the names of mistresses of Edward Vll we would have a very short list indeed.;)

PDilemma
11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
I like Agatha but that's because of Girl Genius (and I bet Alice is a BIG no-no because Camilla's great-grandmother Alice Keppel was a famous mistress of Edward VII. Consider William's stepmother and that whole mess...probably not good to bring up.)

Not sure on Richard...Richard III was not exactly everyone's favorite monarch. (Of course the name "Charles" is supposed to be jinxed, too...) George or Albert (the latter maybe not since it's not very modern) would be a nice nod to George VI ("Bertie"), HM's beloved father. Conversely I bet "David" is not high on the list as that was the name Edward VIII used before he was king and given HM never really forgave the Duke and Duchess of Windsor for the abdication and the stress her father went through, and David was the name he used before becoming king and with the family.

And Stephen was deposed. And John was hated. But Henry II and Henry VIII have some black marks and yet Harry was named Henry. And George III was a bit of a mess as well, yet there have been subsequent kings bearing or using the name.. And as you said, the last King Charles was not particularly remembered well. So who knows how much credence or consideration would be given to such things.

As for girls names, Victoria's eldest daughter was named Alice. And there was Bloody Mary (not a fine moment) but there was also Mary II and the current Queen's grandmother.

There are likely positive and negative connotations to many names on the royal family tree.

Alas...as fun as it is to speculate, they won't be coming to FSU to ask us!

smurfy
11-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Re - Diana as a name.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere earlier this year, but can not remember where, that they would not want to name a baby Diana, since it would put a burden on the child, and might use Diana's middle name Frances (sp?) as one of the middle names. No matter what their children will have a burden, but I could see if one is named Diana, it could be more, so a logical explanation.

danceronice
11-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Actually "Charles" is allegedly cursed--supposedly a King Charles III will mean the end of the monarchy.

If one believes in curses and such...I think some people just really really really want him to abdicate in William's favor.

I don't think Alice would be a problem if it weren't that William's stepmother is a royal mistress whose great-grandmother was a rather famous royal mistress with that name. If one of Anne or Edward or Andrew's children used it, that would probably not be a big deal, but considering Camilla even reportedly first introduced herself to Charles saying "My great-grandmother and your great-great-grandfather were lovers. How about it?" William might do well not to bring it up....though I have to give Camilla points for chutzpah.

AragornElessar
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Or we could be wondering what Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel of Sweden's little one's name will be. That's going to be a future monarch too and is actually on it's way.

I can see for a girl, Christina Silivia Ingrid Desiree.

For a boy Carl Gustav Daniel Olav.

All family names. :)

Great article over at The Daily Mail about the late Prince William of Glousester...

The other Prince William: The uncanny parallels between Wills and the dashing but doomed cousin in whose memory he was named (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2057873/The-Prince-William-The-uncanny-parallels-Wills-dashing-doomed-cousin-memory-named.html)

I didn't realize the Duke of Cambridge had been named in his memory. I did know about him suffering w/this horrible disease though...

It was while here that he became aware of the first symptoms of a rare and incurable blood disease called porphyria — the self-same condition that had seized his ancestor George III, and from whom he had probably inherited it through several generations.

And when Alan Bennett wrote The Madness Of King George, his Oscar-winning 1994 film, Prince Charles — having learned at first hand through conversations with his cousin William the perils of the disease — interested himself deeply in the production.

As a result, all royal children are now routinely screened for this rare but pernicious condition.

There used to be a series shown on our History network up here every so often called Royal Death and Diseases, and I may even have that wrong as I'm going by memory, but one episode was focused on both this and Hemophilia. Also how Queen Victoria's Descendants "brought" both into the respective European Royal Families. It was beyond fascinating and I keep hoping they'll reshow it again one of these days.

It's great to know the Royal Babies/Children in the Windsors are now all tested for porphyria. From the little I know about it, it sounds like such a horrible thing to have to live w/. At least if anyone ends up w/it as the years go on, it won't be such a slap in the face shocking surprise as it would have been if this testing hadn't been done.

I hope that made sense.

nerdycool
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
As for girls names, Victoria's eldest daughter was named Alice.Victoria's eldest daughter's name was Victoria. Alice is the second daughter.

PDilemma
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Victoria's eldest daughter's name was Victoria. Alice is the second daughter.

Sorry...years are difficult to read on that family tree.

Victoria's first name at christening, incidentally, was Alexandrina after the Prince Regent vetoed Victoire. Victoria was her middle name for her mother.

I would not be surprised to see Alexandrina or Alexandra turn up in the coming generation.

Andrushka
11-06-2011, 02:15 AM
But how could any of them realistically hope to be in Kate's position? It's not like she took what was rightfully theirs.
They aren't realistic.That's the problem lol

People hate Charlene? That I certainly don't get. She not in a position most people would envy. She is to be pitied.

They aren't looking at the truth they are looking at the glamour.The clothes,the dresses,the jewels,the title.They don't really understand it's a great responsibility to be in her shoes.

Personally, had we ever had children, our intention was to honour my two beloved grandmothers as middle names, with a first name that wasn't tied to anyone so that a daughter would have her own unique identity. Ditto for a son - his own first name, and my father's as middle name.

We didn't use any grandparents or parents first names.But we used my ex(then husband)'s middle name for our eldest boy and if we had,had a daughter(which we didn't) she would've had my middle name.I have the same middle name as my Mom and Grandmother.

PDilemma
11-06-2011, 02:40 AM
See, you're trying to think LOGICALLY. As long as a prince is single, there is some vague possibility in their imagination he could meet them and fall totally in love. Ruins their fantasy life when he actually does it.

You forgot the key issue I learned from the thread I read: William does not love Kate and never has. Poor guy settled because he felt like he had to. He doesn't even like her. Ask them, they'll tell you. They are totally convinced of it. They can tell by the way he looks at her and acts around her. You know, like this:

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/07/05/124344-william-and-kate-canada-tour-priceless-moments-shared-by-the-royal-cou.jpg

Or this:

http://asset.ninemsn.com.au/img/000/000/176/797/william-kate-canada-love5.jpg

I'm sure it would be totally different if he had met one of them. He'd be happy. Unlike those sad photos.

And CP Frederick...well that evil manipulative Mary stole him from not only all of them, but Denmark. And they don't even like him. But they're still mad.

Fergus
11-06-2011, 02:57 AM
I think George or James are definitely possibilities for a boy as they haven't been used for awhile.

If the first born is a boy, I think HMQ would be very pleased if it were named George. :)

IMHO, a George VII or an Elizabeth III would not only be great tributes, but also would stress a continuation of an unbroken line of succession (Wasn't that Bertie's intention when picking the name George after the Abdication?).

Elizabeth Victoria Diana Catherine?
George Philip Henry Charles?
Brianna Schuyler Katelyn Amber?

Totally kidding on that last one. ;)

PDilemma
11-06-2011, 03:00 AM
If the first born is a boy, I think HMQ would be very pleased if it were named George. :)

IMHO, a George VII or an Elizabeth III would not only be great tributes, but also would stress a continuation of an unbroken line of succession (Wasn't that Bertie's intention when picking the name George after the Abdication?).

Elizabeth Victoria Diana Catherine?
George Philip Henry Charles? ;)

Not sure about Elizabeth happening. But I seriously think George is a big possibility if their first is a boy. :)

mag
11-06-2011, 03:43 AM
You forgot the key issue I learned from the thread I read: William does not love Kate and never has. Poor guy settled because he felt like he had to. He doesn't even like her. Ask them, they'll tell you. They are totally convinced of it. They can tell by the way he looks at her and acts around her. You know, like this:

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/07/05/124344-william-and-kate-canada-tour-priceless-moments-shared-by-the-royal-cou.jpg

Or this:

http://asset.ninemsn.com.au/img/000/000/176/797/william-kate-canada-love5.jpg

I'm sure it would be totally different if he had met one of them. He'd be happy. Unlike those sad photos.

And CP Frederick...well that evil manipulative Mary stole him from not only all of them, but Denmark. And they don't even like him. But they're still mad.

I do think they love each other very much, but I will add that if I searched hard enough I'm sure I could find pictures of William's parents that look very much like that. I remember a series of photographs that was published in the first year or two of their marriage which had the title "The looks of love."

Which photos are published has more to do with whether the editor likes you or not. Just ask the Duchess of York ;)

Coco
11-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I think they could use Spencer for a boy, as one of his four names :)

Philip Peter Charles Spencer: both great-grandfathers, paternal grandparents

And because this is fun...

Elizabeth Frances Caroline

PDilemma
11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I think that HMQ just needs to decree that FSU royalty thread participants get to name the babies from here on out. We have a lot of ideas and we'd do a great job. :lol:

Fergus
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
^ :cheer2: !!!!!

I also have a feeling that the Queen Mum would have found us to be a hoot (especially after a couple gin & tonics)! :D