PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I think Elizabeth would likely appear as a middle name. Also perhaps Victoria.

I saw a story on yahoo about what they should name their firstborn that included commenters suggesting stuff like "Connor", "Aiden", "Katelyn" and "Bailey" which made me laugh.

:huh: Were they serious? How about Billy Bob? Dwayne? Garth? Jayden?

Not Diana, though. I can't see the Queen approving of that. I would guess it would be a potential middle name for a second child, though, or for a daughter of Harry.

Why not Diana? I think if William wanted to honor his late mother, they can't raise objections.

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 08:18 PM
The Queen gets to approve names for those in the immediate line of succession. And names tend to be very traditional to the family. Diana is not a traditional name in the family and I really doubt the Queen would like thinking of a future sovereign with the name--not fond experiences in her memory. I would expect a name for a firstborn daughter that has appeared among women born into the royal family previously. If they have six kids and they wish to name the fifth or sixth one Diana, it may not be an issue; but it seems unlikely that naming a firstborn that would get approval. And I would guess that William is aware of that. He isn't new to any of this.

Jenny
11-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Why not Diana? I think if William wanted to honor his late mother, they can't raise objections.

Oh, I think they can. This is a potential queen and head of the Church of England we're talking about. Second born perhaps, but not first.

Much as I loved Diana, I do think that her importance in British history, the royal family and the succession of the crown is minimal. Think of Prince Philip after all, and his place in it all. I think William would understand that as well.

floskate
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I stumbled upon this clip (http://blog.cgpgrey.com/the-true-cost-of-the-royal-family/) just this morning. ;)

Oooh it's gone down!! Gawd bless 'Er Maj for being so darn thrifty!! :respec:
That vid is awesome and bookmarked for the next time some idiot wannabe republican wants to tell me how stupid I am for being a Royalist :HA!:

triple_toe
11-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah, because Duchess Cate looks so pregnant (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2056571/Duchess-Cambridge-Kate-Middleton-arrives-Copenhagen.html#ixzz1cahRk82I). She probably turned down the peanut butter because of the calories. I think this whole pregnancy watch is completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, because Duchess Cate looks so pregnant (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2056571/Duchess-Cambridge-Kate-Middleton-arrives-Copenhagen.html#ixzz1cahRk82I). She probably turned down the peanut butter because of the calories. I think this whole pregnancy watch is completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

Love that coat and boots! However, you do realize that especially with first pregnancy, it frequently doesn't show at all until 4th or 5th month? She could be 6 weeks along for all you know, if she is indeed pregnant that is.

I started having a tiny bump at the end of my 4th month and before that my stomach as flat as ever.

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 09:27 PM
There is the possibility that she just doesn't like peanuts/peanut butter.

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
There is the possibility that she just doesn't like peanuts/peanut butter.

Yup, I happen to hate it. But it doesn't make a good headline.

danceronice
11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
But how could any of them realistically hope to be in Kate's position? It's not like she took what was rightfully theirs.

See, you're trying to think LOGICALLY. As long as a prince is single, there is some vague possibility in their imagination he could meet them and fall totally in love. Ruins their fantasy life when he actually does it.

And I'll believe she's pregnant when the palace says they're expecting. (However, if their first is a girl, hm..Mary Catherine Elizabeth? Victoria Elizabeth? I can actually see making an argument, though, not to use Victoria as she's even more a 'definitive' kind of monarch than Elizabeth I...and hey, if you're Scottish the current Queen IS Elizabeth I....)

Though, for all the name speculating on what the next Queen by birth would be called....what if it's a boy? Just because they changed the law doesn't guarantee the next one is a girl!

nerdycool
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I love speculating names... even for non-royals, so I'll give it a go, even though the names will probably be somewhat predictable. In no particular order:

Girl:
Elizabeth, Mary, Anne, Catherine, Margaret, Victoria and Alexandra

Boy:
George, William, Charles, Henry, Andrew, Edward, James and would not be surprised to see Albert

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I think George or James are definitely possibilities for a boy as they haven't been used for awhile.

mag
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I"ll have a go:

Girl: Mary Elizabeth Catherine
Boy: James Albert Phillip (although I think George is a definite possibility as well.)

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Or they could go way back or go to more obscure names on the Royal family tree:

Boys: Stephen, Richard, Alfred, Edmund

Girls: Matilda, Eleanor, Agatha, Adele, Alice

There are plenty more. Family tree's worth here:

http://www.britroyals.com/royaltree.htm

mag
11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I like Richard and Alice. Not so keen on Edmund or Agatha.

danceronice
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I like Agatha but that's because of Girl Genius (and I bet Alice is a BIG no-no because Camilla's great-grandmother Alice Keppel was a famous mistress of Edward VII. Consider William's stepmother and that whole mess...probably not good to bring up.)

Not sure on Richard...Richard III was not exactly everyone's favorite monarch. (Of course the name "Charles" is supposed to be jinxed, too...) George or Albert (the latter maybe not since it's not very modern) would be a nice nod to George VI ("Bertie"), HM's beloved father. Conversely I bet "David" is not high on the list as that was the name Edward VIII used before he was king and given HM never really forgave the Duke and Duchess of Windsor for the abdication and the stress her father went through, and David was the name he used before becoming king and with the family.