PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

matti
03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I think Andrew keeps the title for life, but when he dies, if Charles is king then I would think Harry would be titled the Duke of York as second son/second in line to throne.

Historically, I thought the second son was almost always the Duke of York, rather than it being a hereditary title. Henry VIII was the Duke of York, becoming the Duke of Cornwall after his older brother died (and before their father), and soon after Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles followed a similar pattern (although obviously never being the Duke of York) - he was made Duke of Cornwall at a very young age, and Prince of Wales a little later.

Therefore, I would think that tradition would follow that Harry will become Duke of York after Andrew dies, no?

Yep, the Dukedom of York is associated with the second son of the Sovereign but that's just a coincidence. Historically it has always merged with the Crown: 1) because the holder himself became the King or 2) the Duke didn't have male heirs.

Charles became the Duke of Cornwall (Duke of Rothesay in Scotland) the second his mother succeeded to the throne. There was no need to make him.

barbk
03-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Trying to follow along here: So if Harry has a kid before Charles becomes King, the child isn't a prince/princess? If Charles subsequently becomes King, does the child then become a prince/princess as soon as Charles is King? And, if Charles happens to die before becoming King, and the title passes to William, does that leave Harry's kids not being princes/princesses either? And, does "becoming King" mean as soon as Elizabeth dies, or does it wait until coronation?

danceronice
03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Side track: IIRC Anne's children don't have royal titles not because they aren't entitled but because she specifically requested they NOT be granted them.

matti
03-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Trying to follow along here: So if Harry has a kid before Charles becomes King, the child isn't a prince/princess? If Charles subsequently becomes King, does the child then become a prince/princess as soon as Charles is King? And, if Charles happens to die before becoming King, and the title passes to William, does that leave Harry's kids not being princes/princesses either? And, does "becoming King" mean as soon as Elizabeth dies, or does it wait until coronation?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes. It's up to William (and dare I say the government of the day)
Yes, immediately. (although there is an accession council)

Let's remember that George VI had to issue a special letters patent to allow children born to the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh to assume the prince/princess titles and HRH styles.

Lorac
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Can't answer the who will/won't be a prince/princess questions but can state that 'becoming King' occurs at the death of the previous monarch. This is where the phrase comes from:

'The King(or Queen) is dead. Long live the King(or Queen)'

Also it explains why the Royal Standard never flies at half mast - as there is always a sovereign.

Parsley Sage
03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Side track: IIRC Anne's children don't have royal titles not because they aren't entitled but because she specifically requested they NOT be granted them.

Both, the Queen offered to give them titles as they wouldn't have them automatically as being children of the female offspring of the monarch. Anne declined the offer.

I have heard that the Queen likes to wear bright colours at events so that people can see her easily. It's also why she uses clear umbrellas when it rains.

AragornElessar
03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
In other Royal News...

The Danish Royal Court has announced the little Princess of Joachim and Marie will be christened on May 20th.

So now we know when we'll find out what the little one's names are. :)

mag
03-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't think this link has been posted. Apologies if it is a repeat.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/892562-duchess-of-cambridge-admits-she-misses-prince-william-terribly

And another one about the footwear competition:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2112333/Fashion-student-Becka-Hunt-design-shoes-Duchess-Cambridge-Kate-Middleton.html

my little pony
03-11-2012, 02:44 AM
i love the contest idea

Lorac
03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I have heard that the Queen likes to wear bright colours at events so that people can see her easily. It's also why she uses clear umbrellas when it rains.

And she always has a clear umbrella with a trim that matches the colour of the outfit she is in :). Now that is how to accessorise :rofl:

Parsley Sage
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
And she always has a clear umbrella with a trim that matches the colour of the outfit she is in :). Now that is how to accessorise :rofl:

And leave it to the Daily Mail to have an article about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2112488/Queen-Elizabeth-The-secret-Queens-bespoke-umbrellas.html

Kate had one at the War Horse premiere.

skatesindreams
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
It's a great idea.

Reuven
03-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Love those pix. She’s smiling in so many of them. It’s nice to see HM looking so happy!

IceAlisa
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Cute umbrellas!

Parsley Sage
03-11-2012, 11:56 PM
And for 16 pounds you can have your very own birdcage umbrella

http://www.fultonumbrellas.com/shop/womens-walking.html (row 4)