PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Fergus
11-05-2011, 04:35 PM
After getting all verklempt at the videos Fergus posted and some of the related videos that came up with them, I stumbled across this little gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejRJXR92B7g&feature=fvwrel

Dang, don't get into HMQ's way when her horse is running! :lol:

I so wanna get an invite to the Balmoral Ghillies' Ball. :)

I love this pic (http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9n2vdZZCH1qb6k7po1_400.jpg) of HRH The Princess Elizabeth playing tag with the boys of the HMS Vanguard on the way to South Africa.

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm thinking that no one has absolute complete control over when such things occur...so I really doubt that there will be any spectacularly timed pregnancy announcements. And given the level to which HMQ and Prince Charles seem to be protecting William and Kate's ability to start their marriage more normally and more on their own terms, I doubt there has been any dictation as to when they may or may not start a family for public relations purposes.

I agree. Even when both partners are healthy and fertile and have unprotected sex at the time of ovulation, the chances of conception are 80%, not a 100%. Of course, if they keep trying, chances are heavily in favor of pregnancy.

And I'm sure Andruska's spot-on re the bitter old hags at that forum. Their problem with Kate is SHE'S NOT THEM!But how could any of them realistically hope to be in Kate's position? It's not like she took what was rightfully theirs.

AragornElessar
11-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Why do certain people hate Kate, Mary, Charlene, et al on the level of Nuclear Meltdown? I've been trying to figure out that one for a few years now. Some people truly do need help and are very sad, sad, people if that's their main joy in their day. :(

As for a Cambridge baby...I'm w/Parsley Sage on this one. I expect it after the Jubliee, but not to not upstage the Queen and her big year, but due to the fact they have a few trips coming up to help out the Queen. AFAIK, they're headed to the British Caribbean Territories *and* Australia and New Zealand next year as part of the Jubliee year. The Aussie/Kiwi one will be a biggie and it wouldn't surprise me if they're not starting to prep for it now.

Combine that w/everything else going on at the moment and...I just don't see it happening until late next year. Of course, anything *can* happen, but that would be a lovely surprise more than anything else. Besides, HM's already going to have a Diamond Jubliee Great Grandchild thanks to Peter and Autumn, so... :)

Little factoid...Peter was not only HM's first Grandchild, but he was a Silver Jubliee Grandchild. Kind of fitting he gives her a Diamond Jubliee Great Grandchild. :)

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 05:55 PM
People hate Charlene? That I certainly don't get. She not in a position most people would envy. She is to be pitied.

nerdycool
11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I agree. Even when both partners are healthy and fertile and have unprotected sex at the time of ovulation, the chances of conception are 80%, not a 100%. Of course, if they keep trying, chances are heavily in favor of pregnancy.Actually, it's more like 20-25% for a healthy couple in any given cycle, even if they time it right. But you're right that if they keep trying, there's a pretty good chance it will happen.

mkats
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Why do certain people hate Kate, Mary, Charlene, et al on the level of Nuclear Meltdown? I've been trying to figure out that one for a few years now. Some people truly do need help and are very sad, sad, people if that's their main joy in their day. :(

The biggest criticism I hear about Kate is that she's "never held a real job" and has done nothing in life but sit around and wait for William to marry her, but even if you believe that, that's no reason to hate them on the level of nuclear meltdown (to borrow your words)!

Sadly, I don't think there's a real "why" to it. Anti-ubers (uberantis?) exist in skating, in gymnastics, in just about anything where someone succeeds...some people are just sad and need to get out more often...

(On a side note, I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this already, but I was glad to see both Will and Kate wearing poppies in Denmark. :) )

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Kate had some sort of a job in fashion. What exactly did you expect her to do?

mkats
11-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I don't have an issue with what Kate did or didn't do before her marriage, just trying to answer AragornElessar's question. :)

IceAlisa
11-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I don't have an issue with what Kate did or didn't do before her marriage, just trying to answer AragornElessar's question. :)
Sure, but Kate did obtain an excellent education and excelled in her college studies. And held a job, so I don't understand the gripes (not yours, in general). :confused:

Did people expect her to win a Olympic medal and become a surgeon like Debi Thomas?

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Sure, but Kate did obtain an excellent education and excelled in her college studies. And held a job, so I don't understand the gripes (not yours, in general). :confused:

Did people expect her to win a Olympic medal and become a surgeon like Debi Thomas?

Some of them in the thread I read declared her to be far inferior to Chelsy Davy who is, according to them, brilliant, deep and suitably ambitious while Kate is intellectually and emotionally stunted due to her 10 year relationship with William and her mother who is apparently quite literally Lady Macbeth (and that is a really odd reading of Macbeth if you ask me--but something tells me they've not actually read it).

The reality of the matter, as far as I could tell, is that Chelsy has not offended them by marrying Harry. I'm sure they will hate whoever he marries with an equal passion.

Jenny
11-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Given the number of names royals tend to get (I can't even remember William's whole name--isn't there a Philip and an Arthur in there?) they could probably honor Elizabeth (neatly covers two bases, William's Grandma and Great-Grandma), Diana, Kate's mum, Kate herself and probably even great-aunt Margaret and Aunt Anne and great^4 grandmother Victoria if they wanted.

Elizabeth is even more perfect - it is both Kate and her mother's middle name!

Here are the names of the immediate family - the Queen and Prince Philip apparently do not have middle names:

Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor
Diana Frances Spencer (interestingly, Kate's father's middle name is Francis - look for that name to appear at some point!)

William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor
Catherine Elizabeth Middleton

Henry Charles Albert David Windsor

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Here are the names of the immediate family - the Queen and Prince Philip apparently do not have middle names:

The queen's full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

It was suggested to her when her father died that she rule using one of her middle names in order that Elizabeth I remain the only monarch with that name. She refused.

I would not be surprised if they stayed away from Elizabeth for a firstborn daughter to honor her reign by not so quickly repeating the name.

Jenny
11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
The queen's full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

It was suggested to her when her father died that she rule using one of her middle names in order that Elizabeth I remain the only monarch with that name. She refused.

I would not be surprised if they stayed away from Elizabeth for a firstborn daughter to honor her reign by not so quickly repeating the name.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I copied all the names from thepeerage.com, which has loads of mistakes but tends to get the big names right. Perhaps once she became queen she has officially gone by just the one name, in part because she's queen and in part because of what you say above.

If Elizabeth isn't the first name of the first girl, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't one of her middle names. Seeing as well the Frances/Francis connection between his mother and her father, I could see that too for a boy or girl.

Personally, had we ever had children, our intention was to honour my two beloved grandmothers as middle names, with a first name that wasn't tied to anyone so that a daughter would have her own unique identity. Ditto for a son - his own first name, and my father's as middle name.

Jenny
11-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Further use of Elizabeth in the immediate family - all three of Charles' siblings gave their first born daughters Elizabeth as one of their middle names, as did Princess Margaret and her son.

I'd say at the very least Elizabeth as a middle name is a done deal.

PDilemma
11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I think Elizabeth would likely appear as a middle name. Also perhaps Victoria.

I saw a story on yahoo about what they should name their firstborn that included commenters suggesting stuff like "Connor", "Aiden", "Katelyn" and "Bailey" which made me laugh. I would say stuff like that is the only thing we can be certain they won't choose! It would not surprise me to see George as a first name for a boy. Not sure what to expect for a girl. Not Diana, though. I can't see the Queen approving of that. I would guess it would be a potential middle name for a second child, though, or for a daughter of Harry.