PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skatesindreams
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I think it is fantastic of her to keep wearing high street outfits as it really supports them in these hard times as well as shows a thrifty side which is a good thing when many people are out of work and having a hrad time making ends meet.

I suspect that this is why she hasn't worn more couture clothing, yet,

Fergus
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
One of my favorite looks (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2112023/Duchess-Cambridge-Kate-Middleton-Queen-board-train-1st-day-Diamond-Jubilee-tour.html) for Kate in quite awhile. She looks AMAZING!!

Wowzers, HRH looks stunning.

Maybe the skirt is a teeny bit too short for getting-out-of-Bentley purposes, but WHO CARES, check out those gams! DAYUM! :swoon:

HMQ knocks it outta the park, as usual. :respec:

my little pony
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
HMQ knocks it outta the park, as usual. :respec:

i love the fuchsia hat and coat!!!!!!!!

Fergus
03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
i love the fuchsia hat and coat!!!!!!!!

Mmmmm, it's cashmere luciousness. :swoon: Ya don't find that at Dress Barn! :lol:

(Yes, I've tried..... :shuffle: )

IceAlisa
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
It's a good 3 inches above the knee but she has such fantastic legs she can carry it off.

We must have different definitions of knee length. :lol: I define it as the from the very top of the patella or the knee cap. Agree with what mlp and Nekatiivi said about the eyeliner though.

I think Kate looks so natural at this, particularly talking to the kids--I don't think this can be faked.

danceronice
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I love her black hat! (I don't call that dress/coat teal, though, teal is brighter.)

And I do believe that 1. That's a Phantom and 2. that is not the ideal skirt and heels for getting out of that car.

barbk
03-09-2012, 07:39 PM
And I do believe that 1. That's a Phantom and 2. that is not the ideal skirt and heels for getting out of that car.

Not unless RR is putting Bentley plaques on their cars these days -- check out the plaque underneath Kate's foot as she's getting out of the car. :)

I will say that Kate maneuvers around in that skirt and those heels very comfortably. It does look like the back slit on the skirt might have been sewn up just a bit.

Hosiery manufacturers must be thrilled with the return to a young fashion icon wearing hose.

Skittl1321
03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
I just realized you can't see her bottom teeth when she smiles. There is one picture of her caught with her mouth open (looks like she is greeting someone) and she has a tooth that protrudes oddly. I find that to be weird for someone with such gorgeous white (and straight) teeth.

Also- I LOVE the teal suit and the hat. This woman is seriously beautiful. She doesn't look overly skinny anymore either.

IceAlisa
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Good eye, barbk.

cygnus
03-09-2012, 09:29 PM
The other thing is that the title of Prince lasts only for 2 generations for younger sons. Only the children and male-line grandchildren are known as Princes and Princesses. (so Andrew's girls are Princesses, but Anne's kids don't have royal titles). This is a little more complicated, as Edward Earl of Wessex's kids are technically HRH Princess Louise and Prince James of Wessex, but they don't use their titles. But even if Andrew had a son, that son's kids wouldn't have royal titles.

But a Royal Dukedom will last as a title until there is nobody left in the male line. So the Duke of Kent, as a grandson of a King (George V) has a royal title, but his son does not. However, his son will still succeed him as 3rd Duke of Kent, and his grandsons after him. If that line dies out, it could go to the male-line descendants of Prince and Princess Michael, as he also is a son of the first Duke of Kent. It will be an "ordinary" dukedom at that point, not a royal one, but the title stays in the family. Same with the Gloucester title. The York title will probably die out with Andrew, as I don't think there has been any special remainder to his daughters. The Wessex title (And Edinburgh if he is granted that title) will go to Edward's son eventually.

The York title could be resurrected in the next generation, once Andrew is gone, for a younger son or grandson of William.

As far as the Royals on the Civil List goes, the Duke of Kent is probably one of the last on the list. So everyone in front of him get to go to the cooler places. (I don't know... that's just what I'm guessing).

As for why he's styled as the Duke of Kent when he's a prince... a royal dukedom title trumps being a prince in the UK. That's why Prince Philip is known as the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Andrew as the Duke of York, Prince William as the Duke of Cambridge, etc. Heck, even a royal earldom trumps it, hence Prince Edward being known as the Earl of Wessex. They'll always be princes though, and that is usually the very first title mentioned in the string of titles they'll accumulate (except when William becomes King, then prince won't appear in his list of titles).

The ONLY princely title that trumps all is the title for Wales. That's why Prince Charles is known as the Prince of Wales, and not the Duke of Cornwall, which is his second-ranking title, and the one automatically given to the heir to the throne.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. So I won't blame you one bit if my explanation didn't clarify anything at all. :)

Jenny
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
The York title could be resurrected in the next generation, once Andrew is gone, for a younger son or grandson of William.

I think Andrew keeps the title for life, but when he dies, if Charles is king then I would think Harry would be titled the Duke of York as second son/second in line to throne.

Historically, I thought the second son was almost always the Duke of York, rather than it being a hereditary title. Henry VIII was the Duke of York, becoming the Duke of Cornwall after his older brother died (and before their father), and soon after Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles followed a similar pattern (although obviously never being the Duke of York) - he was made Duke of Cornwall at a very young age, and Prince of Wales a little later.

Therefore, I would think that tradition would follow that Harry will become Duke of York after Andrew dies, no?

cygnus
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I think Andrew keeps the title for life, but when he dies, if Charles is king then I would think Harry would be titled the Duke of York as second son/second in line to throne.

Historically, I thought the second son was almost always the Duke of York, rather than it being a hereditary title. Henry VIII was the Duke of York, becoming the Duke of Cornwall after his older brother died (and before their father), and soon after Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles followed a similar pattern (although obviously never being the Duke of York) - he was made Duke of Cornwall at a very young age, and Prince of Wales a little later.

Therefore, I would think that tradition would follow that Harry will become Duke of York after Andrew dies, no?

Possibly, but it depends on how long Andrew lives, and when Harry marries. They will probably give him a title on his wedding day. As with Edward, it could be an Earldom, with the "big" title coming later.

But it is not considered "tactful" to regrant a title while there are still living members of the old family with that title- ie Beatrice and Eugenie. They will still be "of York" once their father is gone. Unless unfortunate things happen, Beatrice and Eugenie will probably last a long as Prince Harry.

Jenny
03-09-2012, 09:53 PM
But it is not considered "tactful" to regrant a title while there are still living members of the old family with that title- ie Beatrice and Eugenie. They will still be "of York" once their father is gone. Unless unfortunate things happen, Beatrice and Eugenie will probably last a long as Prince Harry.

Right, forgot that they also carry the title. I'm sure Harry will get something pretty good though - if he grandmother or father don't give it to him, I'm sure his brother will. I'd kinda like Suffolk, the same title Henry VIII gave his childhood friend. :)

cygnus
03-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Right, forgot that they also carry the title. I'm sure Harry will get something pretty good though - if he grandmother or father don't give it to him, I'm sure his brother will. I'd kinda like Suffolk, the same title Henry VIII gave his childhood friend. :)

Suffolk would be cool. Sussex is available too. Kendall? It hasn't been used for a while, and was once used by Rupert of the Rhine and then by various illegitimate offspring of Charles 11.

matti
03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
The other thing is that the title of Prince lasts only for 2 generations for younger sons. Only the children and male-line grandchildren are known as Princes and Princesses. (so Andrew's girls are Princesses, but Anne's kids don't have royal titles). This is a little more complicated, as Edward Earl of Wessex's kids are technically HRH Princess Louise and Prince James of Wessex, but they don't use their titles. But even if Andrew had a son, that son's kids wouldn't have royal titles.

Prince Harry's (legitimate) children won't automatically be princes and princesses either if his father doesn't become King. Only the Duke of Cambridge's eldest son* will be a Prince and a HRH. Unless their grandmother creates them Princes/Princesses.

*The Queen will have to revise/issue a new letters patent in the future, obviously.