PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PDilemma
11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
The Palace usually makes an "official announcement" after the time when the danger of early-pregnancy difficulty is past; expressing the happiness of HM, and the Royal Family.

Not necessarily that late. The Diana's pregnancies were announced in the first trimester. Her first pregnancy was announced Nov. 5, 1981 and William was born June 21, 1982. Harry--announced Feb. 14, 1984, born September 15, 1984.

AragornElessar
11-20-2011, 12:12 AM
To mark the official start of the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark's Tour of Australia today, a brand new portrait of the Crown Prince Family has been released.

The Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark and their Children (http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5649/maryfamily.jpg)

Now that I've got that out of the way...

OMG...The twins are just too adorable and getting so big too. Also looks like Christian's lost his first tooth as well. What a lovely family.

TM The King and Queen of Bhutan are ending their State Visit of Japan today. They visited Fukashima Prefecture yesterday/today to pay their respects to those lost in the Earthquake/Tsunami and the Nuclear Workers who so bravely fought to keep those reactors from Meltdown.

They also brought to Japan a special gift...

King of Bhutan arrives in Japan bearing butterflies ~ AJW by the Asahi Shimbun (http://ajw.asahi.com/article/asia/AJ201111160036)

milanessa
11-20-2011, 12:24 AM
The first sighting of a Ludlow's Bhutan butterfly in 80 years and they collected specimens??????? Please tell me I'm reading the article wrong.

Fergus
11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Happy 64th Wedding Anniversary to HM The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Newsreel coverage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnyzWAkmAc). :)

AragornElessar
11-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow next year's truly going to be a big one for HM. First the Diamond Jubliee *and* her and Phillip will be celebrating their 65th *and* also welcoming a second Great Grandchild.

*Very* big year. :D

Happy Anniversary to HM and the DoE!!! :)

nerdycool
11-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I imagine she'll have her hand in the Olympic ceremonies as well... at least the opening ceremony anyway. If all that doesn't earn her a little extra time at Balmoral when it's all over, I don't know what will.

Civic
11-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Never say never. We'll see-if they have a girl child. And why should it be a slap in the Queen's face for William to name a child of his after his mother? That's obsurd.

What's In Touch??

I could be wrong but isn't there a list of acceptable names for British monarchs? The list for females would include: Ann, Beatrice, Catherine, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Mary, and Victoria. The list for males would include: Charles, Edward, George, Henry, James, John, and William. Diana, though a lovely name of Roman origin, isn't on the list.

PDilemma
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I could be wrong but isn't there a list of acceptable names for British monarchs? The list for females would include: Ann, Beatrice, Catherine, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Mary, and Victoria. The list for males would include: Charles, Edward, George, Henry, James, John, and William. Diana, though a lovely name of Roman origin, isn't on the list.

I don't know that there is a list, but names are usually chosen with a significant history in the family. And the Queen has to approve names for those in close line to the throne. IIRC, there was a controversy with one or both of Andrew's daughters because she didn't approve of a name they wanted.

I can't see the Queen approving Diana for a child in close line to the throne as it's only history in the family is one person she was not fond of and who was somewhat controversial. I would think she would agree to it as one of the middle names.

AragornElessar
11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Kate was checking out one of the various charities she's interested in taking a Patronage role w/ last week...

Daily Mail ~ 'She doesn't look like a princess. Where's her dress?': What primary school children thought of Duchess Kate when she paid them a surprise visit in jeans (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063761/Kate-Middleton-Duchess-Cambridge-visits-Islington-primary-school-jeans-jumper.html)

Of course the main feature is that she was in a sweater and jeans for what sounds like it was *supposed to be* a Private visit, but that the Headmaster of the School had something else in mind. I don't have a problem w/what she wore, as she was going to an Art related organization that works w/Primary School aged kids and on a Private Visit. It sounds as if it was supposed to just be an under the radar thing, but instead...

The charity Kate was visiting...

The Art Room UK (http://http://www.theartroom.org.uk/1-01-what-we-do.html)

mag
11-22-2011, 03:43 AM
I understand that Kate wanted it to be a private visit, but she is no longer a private person, she is royalty. I really think this very casual approach is swinging the pendulum too far. Too stuffy and stiff isn't good either, but there could be a happy medium. If Kate looks just like everyone else, why would people come out to see her? If they don't come out to see her, her patronage loses value. Royal patronage is based on the idea that people will pay big buck to mix with royalty. JMHO

PDilemma
11-22-2011, 04:04 AM
I understand that Kate wanted it to be a private visit, but she is no longer a private person, she is royalty. I really think this very casual approach is swinging the pendulum too far. Too stuffy and stiff isn't good either, but there could be a happy medium. If Kate looks just like everyone else, why would people come out to see her? If they don't come out to see her, her patronage loses value. Royal patronage is based on the idea that people will pay big buck to mix with royalty. JMHO

She has been making many private visits to organizations in the last few months. No pics or details have been leaked other than St. James confirming that the visits are taking place and that they are not official engagements as they are intended for her to learn about a charity as she chooses what to support. Until this. The school's officials clearly did not properly understand the nature of the visit, or chose not to, thus the picture and the faux controversy.

AragornElessar
11-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Thank you PDilemma!! That was the point I was trying to make.

The President of Turkey and his wife are making a State Visit to the UK and we all know what that means...State Banquet this week!!!! :D :D :D

nerdycool
11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I know, but it's hard to get too excited over the UK State Banquets. They only really give us pictures of the Queen (who will likely be wearing the Girls of Great Britain tiara and a white gown), the Duchess of Cornwall and maybe the Princess Royal, even though there are usually other tiara'd women there, like the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael.

AragornElessar
11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, apparently the Banquet's tonight and the Duchess of Cornwall will not be there from what a reporter said on his Twitter account. She wasn't there for the Official Greeting done by Charles, so people were wondering. Camilla's got a nasty cold and also extremely close to losing her voice according to BP, so we won't be seeing her tonight from the sound of it.

ITA w/you about the State Banquets in the UK, but one can always hope. ;)

edited to add...Sky News Gallery ~ Turkey State Visit To Great Britain (http://skynewsgalleries.smartgalleries.net/gallery/Turkey_State_Visit_To_Great_Britain#)

nerdycool
11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Man, I totally called that!

Completely predictable (http://news.daylife.com/photo/0eBN6xedeia8A?__site=daylife&q=Queen+Elizabeth+II)