PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Glorious: The Royalty Thread #2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Latte
11-13-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm afraid I don't really like the dress. I love the material but the shape looks like she just threw a satin sheet over one shoulder, belted it and called it a dress.
I would love it if they redue it with a little more shape.

PDilemma
11-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm afraid I don't really like the dress. I love the material but the shape looks like she just threw a satin sheet over one shoulder, belted it and called it a dress.
I would love it if they redue it with a little more shape.

Not my favorite choice of hers. I didn't like the color, either. She wears saturated colors so well, why pick that for an event like this?

Incidentally, it is by Jenny Packham, not Temperley.

rjblue
11-13-2011, 01:17 AM
It's not like one day you conceive and the next day you wake up with a huge belly. It takes a while to show, as I've said before.I know a woman as thin as Kate who didn't show AT ALL until she was over six months, and the baby was a normal birth weight. I have no idea where she put the baby because her jeans were tight!

Parsley Sage
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
I quite like Kate's one-shouldered silver dress.

Canadian royalty fans should check out the clearance section of their local Chapters or Indigo, for the official biography of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. I picked it up today for $6.99.

It's online too
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Queen-Elizabeth-Official-Biography-Queen-WILLIAM-SHAWCROSS/9780002008051-item.html?ikwid=queen+mother&ikwsec=Home

mkats
11-13-2011, 02:20 AM
I finally got around to reading that famous Vanity Fair article about the royal wedding. One thing jumped out at me:

You could almost hear the collective sigh of relief when Kate stepped out in the exquisite Cartier “halo” tiara, which had been made in 1936 and given to the Queen on her 18th birthday. The Queen had offered Kate a choice of three pieces from the royal collection, and Kate had immediately opted for the simplest and most understated.

Oh man - I wish I knew what the other two were!!

Her hairdresser, James Pryce, revealed he had spent weeks practicing the delicate updo with a cheap, 6.50 tiara from Claire’s Accessories.

:lol:

skatemommy
11-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Parsley Sage - thanks for the link! Christmas gift for my mom yea!

Mkat - there was a thread here just about the tiara's, I'm sure the other 2 are mentioned by name.

AragornElessar
11-13-2011, 02:52 AM
I think the colour of the dress had more to do w/what week this is in Britain. It is Remembrance Week, so a light grey/off white dress at an event to promote a Remembrance Arbour area is the perfect choice I thought. I also liked it.

Anyway...From yesterday. Tried to post this last night, but the 'puter decided it just wouldn't let me.

Daily Mail ~ Prince Philip opens Field of Remembrance as England team proudly show Fifa failed to give poppy the boot (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060005/Armistice-Day-Prince-Philip-opens-Field-Remembrance-England-team-poppies.html)

The Festival of Remembrance took place today w/The Queen and a majority of the Senior Royals in attendance. Pictures are still coming in, but not in love of HM's outfit for tonight from the only picture I've seen.

Fergus
11-15-2011, 01:48 AM
I squealed a bit when I saw this video of Bea and Betty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMtJH4lH-A). :biggrinbo

AragornElessar
11-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Hello ~ Sombre Kate supports her husband as he remembers fallen comrades (http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/201111146548/royal-family-remembrance-day/)

At the bottom of the article, it mentions the two of the Iraq/Afghanistan Fallen that William knew personally. According to some of the reporters that covered the Service yesterday, William's note on his Wreath is about them and honouring their Sacrifice.

Also take a good look at Sophie's Poppy. I didn't pick up on it until someone at The Royal Forums mentioned it, but she's wearing the Canadian version of the Poppy. Wonder why...

my little pony
11-15-2011, 05:09 AM
how is the poppy canadian?

mag
11-15-2011, 05:34 AM

I think was AE means, is that the poppy Sophie is wearing is the kind that is distributed in Canada. The ones distributed in the UK, at least when I was there, look quite different.

victoriajh
11-15-2011, 07:11 AM
I quite like Kate's one-shouldered silver dress.

Canadian royalty fans should check out the clearance section of their local Chapters or Indigo, for the official biography of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. I picked it up today for $6.99.

It's online too
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Queen-Elizabeth-Official-Biography-Queen-WILLIAM-SHAWCROSS/9780002008051-item.html?ikwid=queen+mother&ikwsec=Home

I got a copy in uk and found it a good read, it was especially interesting to read about her early life and how she apparently felt aout becoming queen.. She was a remarkable lady.

Fergus
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Slightly OT (and totally not containing the answer to your question, mlp): I was at the Met Museum of Art with my niece and nephew on Veteran's Day and we grabbed a snack in the new American Wing cafe....

....and sitting at the table next to us was the most adorable Canadian gay couple and their daughter (who turned her head and sneezed on my salad, causing one of the dudes to apologize, hence displaying his north-of-the-border accent :D ) and both dads were proudly wearing their poppy brooches. :)

taf2002
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
just wonder did you ever see her in person? i had the honor of being in her royal presense ( well I stalked her at the opening of expo 86...among other events..) and she has such an auroa about her- and she seemed so genuine about her interest in meeting people and caring about them- i feel that SO many royals now try to emulate her but the true feeling behind it is missing ( that is my beef with kate- she looks to be pretending too much- it does not seem naturual more forced or done becasue it is expected-] if you are not a diana fan you must admit that she made great strides for the current royals in this area!

I have the opposite feeling. Kate is so much older than Diana was when she married so it is only natural that she should be more poised in public. I don't get the sense that Kate is pretending. After all, she's had years in which to come to terms with her future. I remember the 1st couple of years Diana was married, she was occasionally gauche & uncomfortable in public. She was always gracious but remember, she was a very young girl so that's only natural.

I agree Diana broke some ground in bringing royal behavior into the present, but in some ways I think Kate has it harder. Diana wasn't constantly being compared to a beloved (by some) icon. And Diana clearly didn't adore her husband like Kate does & have to deal with the fact that he is daily in harm's way. But IMO no one should compare them. It's not a contest with one winner.

mag
11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
... It's not a contest with one winner.

This! Diana was human like the rest of us. She had her strengths and weaknesses; she did great things and stupid things. It is obvious that she loved her sons and that they felt loved and accepted. For that alone she has my respect. She is / was not a perfect goddess, but who among us is? I think we should let her rest in peace and let Kate get on with being Kate. She too has her strengths and weaknesses, and I suspect will do great things and stupid things. After all, don't we all?