PDA

View Full Version : Marina Anisina:"Unfortunately, we are going through an americanization of ice dance"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

millipied
11-02-2011, 12:00 AM
"Untill there is a new team that technically strong yet manages to be inventive and interesting, nothing is going to change and North American dancers will dominate. Ice Dancing is no longer important. What matters now is accurate and precise repetition of required elements. Those who manages to nail these elements end up at the top. And this is often the case with the skaters who are not very good dancers. But because they are good at doing elements, they win. However ice dancing should not become a circus. Just not that far ago, there was high expectation of actual performance from ice dancers.
We are seeing the process of "Americanization" in ice dance. It concerns both choice of music and choreogrpahy. And we shall recognize that they have not been offering anything original. But the easiness and sharpness with the way they execute the required elements plus the safe music choices is winning solution and that why they are at the top. But that comes at the expense of originality and innovation."
http://www.championat.com/other/_skating/news-977455.html

So let's dicuss.:watch:

Wyliefan
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
The heart bleeds. :violin: ;)

Taso
11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
LET 'EM HEAR IT, BIG RED! I can't even watch the discipline anymore

Tak
11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
:rofl: In a way I kind of agree with her - we are discussing CoP impact on Dance in another thread. But I think it's totally ironic she calls this "americanization" when S/Z are both RUSSIAN. ;)

Cherub721
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM
I agree with her. I do think Virtue & Moir are good dancers, but agree they are not very original.

bbkenn
11-02-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree with her. I do think Virtue & Moir are good dancers, but agree they are not very original.

They are as original as Marina and Gwendel, but are dancing under COP which was not present under A&P. It is not the americanization of ice dance, but the result of cheating in international judging from which some people believe they benefitted.

"original" is as subjective as anything else. Dance is dance. I feel that the music choice is safer because the RULES require them to pick music that's uplifting, not dramatic; Timing on lifts, for example, keep them from holding beautiful positions, as A&P used to do. But I also feel that the technical requirements of dance today make ice dancing more difficult; whereas before, sweeping choreography could win the day.

The "russian" style of dance was super dramatic with long holds, lots of stroking, and fast skating, with lots and lots of angst. This was considered "voidy", but for me, for many years, it began to look the same.

I resent her implication that "americanization" of dance makes it inferior. Sorry, not buying it.

millipied
11-02-2011, 12:20 AM
:rofl: In a way I kind of agree with her - we are discussing CoP impact on Dance in another thread. But I think it's totally ironic she calls this "americanization" when S/Z are both RUSSIAN. ;)

Are they? They may have been born and raised but I think their choreographic style can no longer be considered Russian in true sense. Russian is voidy and never sterile, like theirs. I think they gave America their own unique style.

Though Anisina obviously dislikes it:)

And unfortunately I am with her on this. Not that anything wrong with American ice dancing, it's great that it finally arrived but we are indulging in it too much and there is no alternative.
We need diversity. As someone said: "My eyes are starving for beauty. It is a beauty famine these days."

Badams
11-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Why Americanization and not Canadianization? :lol:

peibeck
11-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Obviously she never watched Margalio "dance." :saint:

And perhaps she didn't notice, neither Shpiland or Zoueva are originally American citizens? So who is behind this lack of originality... must be a :sekret: Russian plot?

I love her comments about "dance should not become a circus." :rofl: This from the woman putting out videos of her in childbirth with the husband's awful music and dancing dwarves? :P

And finally, she should really be grateful she won :skandal was given the gold medal for the biggest piece of pretentious crap ever put on Olympic ice, abilities or not.

manhn
11-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm sure everyone would love it had D&W danced to Man in the Iron Mask.

Cherub721
11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
"original" is as subjective as anything else. Dance is dance. I feel that the music choice is safer because the RULES require them to pick music that's uplifting, not dramatic; Timing on lifts, for example, keep them from holding beautiful positions, as A&P used to do.

I agree and think that was Marina's point.

The "russian" style of dance was super dramatic with long holds, lots of stroking, and fast skating, with lots and lots of angst. This was considered "voidy", but for me, for many years, it began to look the same.

I resent her implication that "americanization" of dance makes it inferior. Sorry, not buying it.

She can have her opinion, just as Frank Carroll gave his opinion of Liza T and many agreed with it. I thought she gave the North American dancers a pretty fair analysis, complimenting their precise and easy execution of difficult elements. She even said a new team had to come along that was strong technically as well as creative, so it's not like she's saying the European ice dancers should be winning right now, just because they're more dramatic or whatever.

my little pony
11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
is this to distract us from her not so sexy pics with rasputin?

sliver98
11-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Davis and White would have been a middle of the pack team pre COP that``s for sure I kinda agree with her although i think Virtue and Moir would have been great in any era once in a generation team.

berthesghost
11-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Is "Americanization" code for " no mobsters were called to fix skating results"? :lol:

You go girl! This twisting of facts to serve a political agenda is so blatant and unintelligent it makes frank's recent interview look like a love letter to that baby russian.

VarBar
11-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Is Marina possibly suggesting that Riazanova/Tkachenko would have actually won Skate Canada if the ice dance were not 'americanized'? :confused: