PDA

View Full Version : aussieSKATES exclusive: update on Cheltzie Lee

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sammyf
11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are the only three southern hemisphere ISU figure skating members, right?

Given Cheltzie Lee is head and shoulders above any other Aussie ladies, I am sure that the fed wouldn't demand her to compete at Nats (and if they would, they need their heads examined ;P).

Argentina and Brazil are also members. Chile seems to be removed as of last year.

Australia requires all skaters to skate at Nationals if they want to skate at internationals. Last year Cheltzie took a medical withdrawl so was allowed to skip nationals. They then use a highest point system to choose who goes. She's still at the top of the highest points list, but she'll need some sort of special request to be able to skip Nationals this year if she wants to go to FCC.

charminbeautee
01-29-2012, 05:27 AM
ice marker wrote:

Is her heart really going to be in it as it was announced just after worlds this year that she will not be competing. NOW SHE IS??? Confusing !!!

New to the forums and a Cheltzie fan! Cheltzie NEVER announced retirement. I think people assumed because she withdrew her name from events this season. She has continued to train and is looking really good, fit and strong as usual! Can't wait to see her competing again. She works harder than any other Australian skater on and off the ice. What I do think is when she returns 2012/2013 season she will be new and improved mentally and physically! I do wish her well she's such a lovely young lady!

Australia does have some junior talent but not to the level of competition as Cheltzie Lee I think no where near Cheltzie. We have yet to get another female skater to Cheltzie's competitive level but hopefully that will change.

Ziggy
01-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Have you seen her practice, charminbeautee? What jumps was she landing?

charminbeautee
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Cheltzie took 2011/2012 season off. She didn't compete at nationals which was a pity! when she withdrew from the jr grand prix in Brisbane she was still training and has continued to train. I think she chose not to compete only and reduced her training time to focus on university which she entered early. when i spoke with her she had decided to do uni part time in the coming season, train and compete. she' a very smart young lady! She seemed very excited about it all! It made me excited for her also!!

aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience! Cheltzie said her first competition will be in June 2012 in Aus! So glad she's back!!! certainly a consistent quiet achiever!!!

charminbeautee
01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Ziggy yes I've seen her train. Robin Cousins came to Sydney to work with both Cheltzie Lee and Brendan Kerry. at that time I saw mostly choreography and a bit of fun stuff it seemed. More recently I've seen that magnificent 3toe3toe combo, 3S3T combo, 3lz2t combo, 2a also in combos, practicing the 3f but iwas leaving when she started and some three jump combos, she has great height on her jumps!!

BittyBug
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Fantastic news! I'm looking forward to seeing her back in competition.

icemarker
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience!

well, it's hard to imagine that Aus will be sending only 1 male when they usually have 3 spots. What happened there? Where is Mark Webster, is he skating? Is brendan Kerry skating as his sister is skating according to charminbeautee ?
I had a look at the Australian skating site and there is no mention, very out of date!!!

Oz_sk8ting_mum
01-29-2012, 10:55 PM
well, it's hard to imagine that Aus will be sending only 1 male when they usually have 3 spots. What happened there? Where is Mark Webster, is he skating? Is brendan Kerry skating as his sister is skating according to charminbeautee ?
I had a look at the Australian skating site and there is no mention, very out of date!!!

Yes, both Mark and Brendan were selected to 4CC. :)

sammyf
01-29-2012, 11:51 PM
aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience! Cheltzie said her first competition will be in June 2012 in Aus! So glad she's back!!! certainly a consistent quiet achiever!!!

Isn't Chantelle too young? What about Brooklee Han, she scored higher than all the others on the JGP.

Ziggy
01-30-2012, 12:07 AM
sammyf, I guess Brooklee Han is going to Junior Worlds but I would send her to 4CC as well. She's definitely has a bigger jump arsenal than the other ladies. Maybe she opted out of it to focus on JW?

Ziggy yes I've seen her train. Robin Cousins came to Sydney to work with both Cheltzie Lee and Brendan Kerry. at that time I saw mostly choreography and a bit of fun stuff it seemed. More recently I've seen that magnificent 3toe3toe combo, 3S3T combo, 3lz2t combo, 2a also in combos, practicing the 3f but iwas leaving when she started and some three jump combos, she has great height on her jumps!!

That is fantastic news indeed! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing it with us. :)

Oz_sk8ting_mum
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
sammyf, I guess Brooklee Han is going to Junior Worlds but I would send her to 4CC as well. She's definitely has a bigger jump arsenal than the other ladies. Maybe she opted out of it to focus on JW?

I believe this is the case, she was offered 4CC but is focusing on JW at this time. And she is the Aussie Lady for JW. :)

charminbeautee
01-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Based on Australia ranking Brooklee would have been offered 4 continents. Last I heard as early as last week she is still battling the injury that kept her from competing at nationals! Hope she heals quickly and Cheltzie Lee gets back on the circuit to get some good results for Australia!!

misskarne
01-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Karuna Henderson. Take note of the name. 5th at her first Nationals at the Senior level - I reckon she'll be much higher than that next year. Hope she gets considered for international duties!

essence_of_soy
01-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Karuna Henderson. Take note of the name. 5th at her first Nationals at the Senior level - I reckon she'll be much higher than that next year. Hope she gets considered for international duties!

Last year in Melbourne she looked good, but a few of her jumps were muscled.