PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Cherub721
12-12-2011, 04:08 AM
I had never heard that expression before either. I didn't really get what he meant by "it's a piss-off". I'm pissed off? The judges are telling us to piss off? Another expression I've never heard before.

I was thinking along the lines of the British phrase "taking the piss" but I understood that one to mean more like teasing someone. Maybe he meant kiss off? I think the point was they were being dismissive of V&M's skating.

Rafter
12-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Here's yet another article: http://www.thestar.com/article/1100389--dimanno-virtue-and-moir-steaming-over-ice-dance-silver. But you know how DiManno loves her theatrics so...

I have to admit the part about Tessa's lovely green eyes widening to saucer size made me laugh.

So Scott was mad at some of their GOEs in the SD. I think after the fall the whole program was a bit off so I can kind of understand not getting great GOEs on the circ footwork and 2nd rhumba pattern. One element where they are losing points to D&W in the SD is the lift. I think V&M could change the lift and hope for more GOE.

Rafter
12-12-2011, 04:09 AM
I was thinking along the lines of the British phrase "taking the piss" but I understood that one to mean more like teasing someone. Maybe he meant kiss off? I think the point was they were being dismissive of V&M's skating.

Ah, I bet he meant to say it's a kiss off. That makes more sense to me.

marbri
12-12-2011, 04:12 AM
I've heard "it's a piss-off" before, how I've heard it used is like saying "it's frustrating/irritating/annoying".

flowerpower
12-12-2011, 04:15 AM
In Canada, "taking the piss" is not a common phrase. I'd go with Rafter's options.

ETA: Like Marbri said.

ETA2: Well, we're all over the map on this one. :lol: But I think marbri's answer is most likely.

marbri
12-12-2011, 04:19 AM
If I broke a nail after just having a manicure I wouldn't be pissed off but I'd say that's a piss-off.

But the bottom line the safe definition is he is frustrated.

Btw...thanks for clearing up the bulletin board :D

flowerpower
12-12-2011, 04:21 AM
If I broke a nail after just having a manicure I wouldn't be pissed off but I'd say that's a piss-off.

But the bottom line the safe definition is he is frustrated.

Yes.

Rafter
12-12-2011, 04:24 AM
I'll try to aswer, based on what I remember from watching the clips a few hours ago. Basically, they are admitting D/W skated very well technically, but they are swooning over T/S' dancing. Anna says it was obvious they were shaken by the fall and could skate even better. Luca says D/W are energetic and always in command and this is what distinguishes them from a "just good" couple like the Shibutanis. But, he ends, for him still Virtue and Moir "sono di un altra pianetta" (are from a different planet).
In fact, at the end of the competition, while analyzing the results, they said the TES scores are perhaps justified, but the PCS scores are a joke. Anna even laughed, I think, at the 9.50 D-W got for choreography.

Thanks for this. It's interesting. I wonder if it's any consolation at all to Tessa & Scott that at least their skating peers and a lot of coaches and former skaters like Platov and Zhulin appear to favour them. Probably not but it might ease his GPF pain a little. ;)

marbri
12-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks for this. It's interesting. I wonder if it's any consolation at all to Tessa & Scott that at least their skating peers and a lot of coaches and former skaters like Platov and Zhulin appear to favour them. Probably not but it might ease his GPF pain a little. ;)

It might be knowing that that lead to his comments today. If people keep telling you you are on another planet you come to believe it.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
12-12-2011, 04:34 AM
......I've been thinking about certain people and D&W ubers being in an uproar over Scott's comments, particularly his one about feeling they are the best artistic team over the last several years and I really don't see anything wrong with him saying that.

I mean, isn't it his RIGHT to feel that he and Tessa have been? I'm sure B&A thought they were, and D&W think they are, and DomShab thought they were, and DelSch thought they were, etc etc etc. I also think it's possible that when Scott says 'artistic' he means things like leg unison, extension, body line, posture, musicality, skating as one, etc etc. Can't say I disagree with him.

After the retirement of teams like DelShoes, the Kerr's and F&S and with the exception of P&B I do think that V&M are the best artistic team in the field. And while P&B also have great chemistry and ablility to interpret different programs they aren't quite on the same level as Tessa and Scott. It's not just Scott's ego; we are starting to see comments from both current and ex-competitors who also seem to feel that V&M are the best yet aren't being marked as such.

And in all honestly despite all the controversy over the marks given to them they are still doing better than P&B. P&B are being treated like some second tier junior team. Of course that still can't possibly erase any unhappiness Scott and Tessa when they know how good they are.

I remember in one of their interviews during the 08/09 season B&A got trashed again when they said that with the new improvements they had made under Linichuk/Karponosov they could be the best in the world. That brought on a whole new round of bashing. :lol: I think B&A (especially Tanith) probably never felt better than when they walked away from competitive life.

On a lighter note (I think this thread could use that) as large as Tessa's eyes are why have I never noticed that she has green eyes? I need to google.

flowerpower
12-12-2011, 04:41 AM
I think you meant "are the best but aren't being marked as such"? It's not the first time prominent former skaters have suggested that.

professordeb
12-12-2011, 04:45 AM
OK, there are a few way to take the term piss off but it depends on how it is being used withing a sentence gramatically. It's a slang phrase. Scott's exact words were "It's a piss off".
If I read this correctly, it means they are being told to leave, to go away. Other synonyms it could mean are:
bugger off
fcuk off
get lost
pee off
take a hike

Marbri - actually, when I was growing up, I would hear people tell others to "piss off". Usually it was a more polite way of saying fcuk off. I don't hear people using piss off much any more, they go directly to the latter.

Since I kinda hang around a couple hockey/lacrosse teams (volunteer for 3 clubs) I knew immediately what the bulletin board reference meant.

Does anyone recall the board of letters/telegrams etc that Canada's men's hockey teams used to get. That was a positive type of bulletin board where the players could go by and see how much support they had in spite of much negativity surrounding them. Other times, you see something pinned up and you use it as target practice. I think in this case for V/M it will be a visual reminder of what took place in weekend, helping to spur them on to greater heights this season.

Anyway, that's my take on piss off :) and with that I bid you all a good night!

Carmen Ovsiannikov
12-12-2011, 04:46 AM
flowerpower, you are right. I did indeed mean "are" the best but "aren't" being marked that way. Forgot to check my post before hitting submit. :o

manhn
12-12-2011, 04:50 AM
The bulletin board stuff is a common term in team sports. When a player from an opposing team talks trash of a team during an interview, the coach of dissed will stick the article in the locker room to motivate his players to beat the opposing team.

Haven't seen the perfs yet (left qc early to see family in Montreal) but I was surprised the scores were so close. I expected D&W's scores significantly higher. If this causes Tessa and Scott to make significant changes either short term (changing parts to a fd that I don't particularly love) or long term (new coach or choreographer or style) then that's okay by me.

shan
12-12-2011, 05:02 AM
OK, there are a few way to take the term piss off but it depends on how it is being used withing a sentence gramatically. It's a slang phrase. Scott's exact words were "It's a piss off".
If I read this correctly, it means they are being told to leave, to go away. Other synonyms it could mean are:
bugger off
fcuk off
get lost
pee off
take a hike

Pee off??? That makes me :lol: