PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

euterpe
12-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Once again I seem to be behind the times. Until today, after watching the GPF, I didn't much care for the Funny Face routine.

But today while watching them skate I suddenly *got* the program. It is stylish and clean and sophisticated and honest, and it does capture the 1960s Hollywood film era.

"Funny Face" was released in 1957. The studio system made scores of musicals in the postwar-to-late 50s area, and "Funny Face" was the last one.

Proustable
12-12-2011, 12:54 AM
"Funny Face" was released in 1957. The studio system made scores of musicals in the postwar-to-late 50s area, and "Funny Face" was the last one.

... Gigi in 1958, West Side Story in 1961 and The Sound of Music in 1965 disagree with you.

Judy
12-12-2011, 12:55 AM
I think she looked very displeased and I wonder if it had to do with how hard Igor was clapping for D&Ws placement.

Time for V&M to ditch Igor and Marina.

Who would they go to though? I'm still convinced that Igor and Marina will be coaching the Sochi Olympic champions.

professordeb
12-12-2011, 12:55 AM
They both look disappointed because they lost a major competition. ...snip ...What did I see? Two people understandably sad because they lost a competition.

That's exactly what I thought after I looked at it three times - once in general, once to watch Tessa and a third to watch Scott.

From what I can see, they are watching the monitor. Once the marks came up, both looked saddened, look away, then Tessa puts a smile on her face while Scott looks again (just confirming what he saw, perhaps?).

They are saddened and Scott is po'd. Understandable to me. I am hoping they find out what they need to make their FD even more :kickass:, filling in the gaps, make it look like they are "working" at it and by worlds give the judges no reason not to put them on top.

As for leaving their coaches ... well ... I'd see how end of season talks go. Sharing everything when training with the team you are always going against for gold can be difficult at best. IF they feel they need to stay with their current coaching staff then I would like to see them explore the possibility of choreography by others. Considering what I saw in W/P - I'd consider going to their choreographers for some ideas. I think the coaches are split on which team they favour -- Marina with Tessa & Scott.

Macassar88
12-12-2011, 12:58 AM
One change they could make in the FD would be to do 4 seperate lifts instead of three lifts with one in combo. By doing 4 seperate lifts, D&W gain more in potential +GOE than V&M do by only doing 3 lifts. I also think V&M need to scrap the first lift in the FD - they're not getting the greatest GOE on it because sometimes it looks a bit shaky. I also think they could rethink the lift in the SD and try for something more dynamic. They should also talk to the tech caller and find out why they were given level 3 for the rhumbas.

Yeah, the first lift gave them bad GOE's. I think the reason it looks shaky is because Scott is on one foot. Maybe if he changed to a two foot position like spread eagle or something.

caseyedwards
12-12-2011, 01:15 AM
A couple of weeks ago Moir said D/W was the TES team and VM was the artistic team and can compete with tech so the winning tech and losing artistic has to have been the exact thing to rub him the wrong way in the FD.

casken
12-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Venturing into the V&M thread!

I've only watched V&M and D&Ws FDs once each, but to me it was glaringly obvious when they skated back-to-back how much better V&Ms edges, line, unison are than D&Ws. V&M also skate MUCH closer together than D&W and in the footwork sequences they are much closer together through the hips than D&W. And I'm sorry but Meryl hits some really fugly positions at times. I also think she's doing a lot of running steps and hops/jumps and not really skating on deep edges through that FD (outside of footwork sequences).

Exactly. Thank you for putting that so clearly. Even a less than 100% V&M should beat a 100% D&W for all those reasons, regardless of how much you prefer one program over the other. They simply have better form and technique. It's like Grishuk and Platov vs Bourne and Kraatz, expect this time B&K are winning. :confused:

I have to say it's such a relief to hear that Moir is just as confused by the PCS as I am though.

And the :EVILLE:side of me is actually looking to the backstage drama and D&W/V&M fan wars.

clarie
12-12-2011, 01:18 AM
They'll make the changes they need. I think they'd be pretty motivated now. They aren't done yet.

kina
12-12-2011, 01:29 AM
:(

Rafter
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM
I think V/M is not leaving Zueva/Shpilband. We all know what happened to B/A, and V/M certainly don't wanna follow their steps. But this is the first time I see V/M show the tension towards Z/S and D/W. So the after mathe won't be pretty. I understand the US federation is buddy-buddy now with Igor and Z/S has based in the US. That's why I think Skate Canada should do sth.

I'm not sure Skate Canada will do anything/suggest anything to their Olympic Champions. I think they will be supportive of whatever V&M want to do.

During the EX coverage before V&M's names were announced you can see Tessa saying to Scott "I don't want to tell anybody else" and he responds with a shrug. Wonder what that was about.

Did anyone think that Igor, Meryl and Marina didn't look too happy when D&Ws FD marks were announced? I guess they were expected something much higher than V&Ms 112?

walei
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
:(

The "Marina is always right" comment came from a light-hearted interview. I doubt they have no opinions and just listens to Zueva all the time.

I am glad that Scott is showing the world he is upset. When skating without mistakes, there is just no way that V/M should get lower PCS than D/W. AND they had all level 4s but still lost the FD. I am behind Scott's confusion on this one.

VarBar
12-12-2011, 01:45 AM
During the EX coverage before V&M's names were announced you can see Tessa saying to Scott "I don't want to tell anybody else" and he responds with a shrug. Wonder what that was about.

I just hope it had nothing to do with Tessa's legs.

Did anyone think that Igor, Meryl and Marina didn't look too happy when D&Ws FD marks were announced? I guess they were expected something much higher than V&Ms 112?

Considering Marina said Die Fledermaus was her masterpiece, yeah, they might have been pretty disappointed with the scores.lol

kina
12-12-2011, 01:50 AM
The "Marina is always right" comment came from a light-hearted interview. I doubt they have no opinions and just listens to Zueva all the time.

the team orange interview may be light-hearted but i still think it's true. they adore marina and trust her completely. they have opinions, but for the longest time, marina was always proven right. that's now up in the air along with many things.

bbkenn
12-12-2011, 01:50 AM
You should read the D&W thread on how Scott is a sore loser, and how perfect D&W are, are the better team, the better people, etc. I wish Scott had said that all in private, but he's emotional and a real person and unfortunately did not hold back. They compared how gracious D&W have been in defeat, but then they did believe that V&M were better at that time, so the disappointment, although there, is not from a surprise to lose. I think Scott has not seen what we have all seen here that D&W are clear favorites and V&M's status as Olympic Champions has been shortlived. I hope Scott gets to talk to the judges somehow and find out what the problems are so they can maybe fix them.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I admit to not having seen the GPF performance yet so perhaps I should wait to comment. However I have seen Funny Face numerous times and I've watched D&W's FD.

Just as is, I still don't feel that D&W's program has more difficulty than that of V&M. I'm not sure why people are talking about it being obvious that V&M are missing something and changes need to be made. If V&M need changes then so should D&W. I'm still in disbelief that people have so eagerly bought into the hype that D&W are far more than what they are.

I agree with Anna and Luca's comments. D&W are energetic and speedy with good difficulty but in this quadrennial V&M are the class of the field. As I said before at the very least the teams should be neck in neck and some of the scores need to come down. I remember not so long ago when the champions marks were around the 98 or 99 mark. Ever since the Vancover Olympics the judges have been throwing around impossibly high marks. I wonder if they are trying to please the crowds and compensate for no longer being able to give out 6.0's.

The only positive thing about the FD was that since we already pretty much knew the outcome, I wasn't nervous and afraid to look up the final marks. At least they had a good skate. I'll either watch youtube or wait for a possible repeat on Universal this week.

eta:
If the judges truly have taken their support from V&M then fixing any "problems" is not going to help.