PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Carmen Ovsiannikov
11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Entire Post

:respec:

Each nation gets a piece of the cake.
Skate Canada is (has been) politicking for Pchan, so it left Ice Dance to the US. I think figure skating works this way since the mists of time. It's like a deal. (Bad) politics is nothing more than making deals to balance power and benefits.

martyross, you are correct in stating that this is the way judging works and I haven't agreed with it in the past and I don't agree with it now. IMO this is part of the reason why fewer people are watching on television and going to see competitions and even exhibitions in person.

Only this time people are probably denying that it's true (the NA's never ever play political games :P) and even some who acknowledge that the judges are/might be trying to balance things out don't care. They feel that the evil Russians benefitted from politicking for years so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Despite seeing for years how fickle S&Z are as coaches (ask Tiffany Stiegler) I didn't think V&M would get thrown under the bus. I remember how she went on about V&M starting back in the 07/08.

I realize the three Canton/for Canton ladies aren't related but really Fedor? That has to be kind of a weird situation. :scream:

pani
11-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Man Scott really gets around! :P

:lol: I wonder why judges like Scott more with Meryl, then with Tessa ;)

Despite seeing for years how fickle S&Z are as coaches (ask Tiffany Stiegler) I didn't think V&M would get thrown under the bus. I remember how she went on about V&M starting back in the 07/08.
I cant understand, what you want to say, sorry. But i could say now, like in 200-2008 Marina was talking anly about V-M, she is now talking all time about Charlie and his FD :lol:
O, and i think Scott stop kissing her this season - maybe this is the case? :lol:

bbkenn
11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
There is one thing Marina, Igor, the USFA or the judging panel cannot change or ignore-Tessa & Scott are more talented than Meryl & Scott !.
Their talent shines through everytime they skate.

and they are the reigning OLYMPIC Champions something people seem to forget. They are also VERY competitive and have a lot of confidence, so I would not count them out. I remember prior to the OLY's, D&W had Bollywood which people thought would set them up to win gold. But it ended up not even being close.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
There is one thing Marina, Igor, the USFA or the judging panel cannot change or ignore-Tessa & Scott are more talented than Meryl & Scott !.
Their talent shines through everytime they skate.

The judging panel may not be able to change that but they can and will ignore it if they choose.

The judges can pick and choose what they want to place an emphasis on and if they want certain teams on top they will adjust the requirements and how the rules are interpreted accordingly.

Look at N&K vs DenStavs. Tatiana's and Roman's skating skills and speed were used as the reason why they almost consistently stayed ahead of Albena and Maxim who had excellent skating skills of their own, plus more difficult footwork and great interpretive skills.

I also have to say that I find it maddening when fans fall for the exciting music and think that means everything. True there are certain programs that might be more entertaining but if one looks past the music there are or should be other factors.

I always use the example of K&M's "Fire on Ice" FD from the 02/03 season. At Skate Canada that year they received the loudest applause perhaps with the exception of D&L so does that mean they should have won the entire competition? "Fire on Ice" was one of my favorite FD's that year but on close examination I knew why K&M weren't going to be in any major medal races and never expected them to be.

In the past many lower ranked teams have been more creative or presented programs that captured the crowds but does that mean that should have put them on top? If so then the Kerr's should have medaled more often at Europeans and Worlds. Sinead and John often captured the crowds. Anyway, you get my point.

pani
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
In the past many lower ranked teams have been more creative or presented programs that captured the crowds but does that mean that should have put them on top? If so then the Kerr's should have medaled more often at Europeans and Worlds. Sinead and John often captured the crowds. Anyway, you get my point.

I have the same opinion - skating is most important thing for win medal. So judges dont care about music - they wish to see one team over another and thats all.
If judges really dont like FF they will give V-M 8 for choreo and interpretation. But they give them high marks, but give all 10th to D-W.

marbri
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
i would like to reply with these smiles only :D:D:D:D:D , instead, i decided to chasten my laziness doing a little copy-paste

VM pcs
DW pcs

about what programs are better received :D

Well yes, I saw the scores. I'm simply trying to calm the masses to wait and see what happens on the same ice with the same panel before saying for certain which one is better received. It's better for the blood pressure :P

euterpe
11-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Well yes, I saw the scores. I'm simply trying to calm the masses to wait and see what happens on the same ice with the same panel before saying for certain which one is better received. It's better for the blood pressure :P

Seeing as how the GPF 'showdown' will be on Canadian ice, I'm not convinced this will be the determination on which one is better received. 4CC won't be either, as it is on US ice.

Guess we'll all have to wait til March. :P

pani
11-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Seeing as how the GPF 'showdown' will be on Canadian ice, I'm not convinced this will be the determination on which one is better received. 4CC won't be either, as it is on US ice.

Before CoR i thought the same, but after i saw D-W marks in FD.....
So Ok, will wait. But in D-W will won in Canada - i will be sad :D

marbri
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM

If D&W win the GPF I think the answer will be clear. I have no problem waiting for worlds.

pani
11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Interesting, what competition will be 8 for T-S?
2 GP events, GPF, Natinals, 4CC. WCh and maybe Team Throhy, but what about eight competition in a row?

Sylvia
11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Finlandia Trophy was their first of the season.

pani
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Finlandia Trophy was their first of the season.

O , yes. Thanks!

bbkenn
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Interesting, what competition will be 8 for T-S?
2 GP events, GPF, Natinals, 4CC. WCh and maybe Team Throhy, but what about eight competition in a row?

I am delighted to be able to see them skate so many times but then maybe I'm being selfish.

pani
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I am delighted to be able to see them skate so many times but then maybe I'm being selfish.

:D I think we all delighted

chantilly
11-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Sigh.
I haven't seen D and W at COR yet. But I did watch the rest of the competition at COR and in general the WHOLE event seemed over scored. I was also reading comments on this forum and found that most posters were saying the same thing.
And Tracy mentioned that the ice dance event at TEB was very strictly judged. She mentioned this several times not just for V and M. I agree with the posters that say you can't really know until they compete back to back.
However I will say that D and W seem to me at least to have the"better package" overall this year. FF is growing on me and I think it is truly one of those programs that will continue to build as that get more comfortable with it and are really able to skate the expression lights out. They are telling a story which is always more difficult. I do think it needs a little more content and they need to fix the spin. But for whatever reason I'm feeling a D and W win at the GPF but I DO think it will be much closer in points. And I am a V and M über. I do like D and W but I still think they lack th ease and precision ans SS of V and M.
We'll see what happens at worlds. There is a fair chunk of time between GPF and worlds. So if V and M think they have to make adjustments to win they will.
But D and W winning is not a forgone conclusion. And I seem to remember that lots were freaking about about V and M not being able to win the gold at the OLYs and they did fair and square.