PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Rafter
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Well, as a European, I'd be curious to know how many North-Americans would have chosen that music for Tessa and Scott's free dance and how many of them can honestly say they are thrilled by it. And don't you think it would be wise of a choach/choreographer to pick music both Europe and North America love?

I'm North American and I would not have chosen that music for V&M. I understand that V&M are at the point in their careers where they want to skate to something they love and Tessa really wanted it, etc, but I don't understand Marina here. According to V&M it was Marina who brought the idea up again after 5 years and I wonder why?

I wonder why D&W always get the "accessible" crowd pleasing music and V&M don't. It puts V&M at a distinct disadvantage right off the bat.

pani
11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm North American and I would not have chosen that music for V&M. I understand that V&M are at the point in their careers where they want to skate to something they love and Tessa really wanted it, etc, but I don't understand Marina here. According to V&M it was Marina who brought the idea up again after 5 years and I wonder why?

I wonder why D&W always get the "accessible" crowd pleasing music and V&M don't. It puts V&M at a distinct advantage right off the bat.

Uplifting? And they all didnt have a lot off time, because WCh was in April, so this was to time to find all ideas?
And G-G did Die fledermaus so Zueva had this music and idea. Maybe this was music for Yana and Fedor.
I wonder why she did such a great dance for Chack-Bates?

All, what you said about D-W skating i read at russian forum form sevetal posters, who this D-W FD is great, but they must lose 20 point to V-M because of not such a good basis.
But who knows the truth? I am sure Scott could skate SD like never could even think to give them lower marks, then D-W. But they couldnt have on 4-5 points more.
And SC maybe atrt thinkig about situation after WCh. And again - they will be happy with silver for V-M, if Chan will win gold.

As for music. Maybe because V-M didnt want use music, wich someone used before and because V-M could made any kind of music good for audience, when D-W need music help them?
But i really wish to see V-M skate on some audience friendly piece of music.

Pierre
11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
All of this freaking out is a bit much. The judges still like V/M and consider them relevant. If they didn't, their scores would be lower.

And I can guarantee you that regardless of what S/Z are doing, heavy politicking is going on by both the Canadians and Americans already, so I doubt Skate Canada needs to be reminded to do so. In recent years, the Canadians have done an excellent job in that area, so I don't understand why anyone would be worried about them not doing their job to back their skaters behind the scenes.

Anyway, here are my predictions:

V/M have home advantage at the GPF. V/M will probably win.

D/W have home advantage at 4CC. D/W will probably win.

The major battle will be at Worlds. There is where I think the smart music choice and Olympic-level FD will give D/W their second gold medal. But it's going to be very close.

allezfred
11-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Torvill & Dean skated to Let's Face the Music & Dance at the Olympics & were beaten badly by the Russian team, that says it all........sometimes the BEST team does not win.:lol:

Not going to be a popular opinion, but I do think the best team on the night won. Looking back now, you can see that after 10 years out of competitive skating Torvill & Dean were a bit past it. :shuffle:

Not a huge fan of either Virtue/Moir or Davis/White, but I don't think there is any comparison between the two teams. Virtue/Moir are far superior, in my opinion.

emason
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I wonder why D&W always get the "accessible" crowd pleasing music and V&M don't. It puts V&M at a distinct advantage right off the bat.

What am I missing here? I think the music from Funny Face is about as accessible and crowd pleasing as you can get. It was Broadway show music before it ever made it into the movie.

Wyliefan
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, not a lot of people around this forum seem to realize it, but Gershwin actually happens to be rather highly regarded. :)

maharbabackward
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
To me, judging shouldn't be just about whether you "like" a program's music or not but whether or not the skaters interpret the music properly. One might like D/W's music choice better but there is no way that the judges can say that V/M interpret FF less effectively. If someone has watched FF, one can see they V/M capture the essence of the movie and even borrow similar moves from it ie. the "tap dancing" before spin and the planking move right after. Element wise, I think V/M have far more interesting and difficult lifts. The only lift that D/W do that gives me a wow is that split lift but I'd still give V/M the nod comparing it to the second lift. The spin, I'd give to D/W hands down.. There needs to be more speed in that camel position for T/S. The footwork I'm not such a great judge of, but to me they are at best equal. For PCS, interpretation, timing, performance, and transitions I'd call basically even depending on the day. I'd give V/M an equivocal lead in SS due to edge, line, unison. They aren't as fast as D/W but they aren't slouches either. So in all, I'd sad Lifts V/M>D/W SS V/M>D/W Spin D/W>V/M Footwork and all the rest of the PCS more or less equal. Taking things into consideration, and judged fairly I think V/M should win. What should and will happen are totally different. I hope its like the Olympic season where I worried that D/W would be far ahead during the OD like at the GPF, but when it actually counted and V/M skate clean they were judged fairly. Also, take into account the FD this year is similar to last year's SD. D/W have a more well known music, and I thought more audience friendly more bombastic dance. V/M had less well-known subtle dancewell interpreted but much less "flashy". Interestingly enough, D/W skated a waltz last year too. In the end, V/M won in the end.

pani
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
could i know ask something outside this rivality?
I cant understand, what i miss in Tessa look at TEB. Now i see this - i like her hair atyle in Finlandia and SC more. TEB hair style made her head more "round".
So i wish to see at GPF hair style from there first outing with this FD. How i could ask her to do this? :D

bbkenn
11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Boy, Fedor really gets around: Tanith, Tessa and now Meryl???

martyross
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
It's also possible Marina is really invested in D&W now that Meryl is dating Fedor.
uhm. not sure i follow this. in all honesty i can't quite get Andreev in the picture. also because, if this were the case, i wouldn't like to be in poor Charlie White's position. can you imagine, going to the rink every morning, breaking his back off in the gym, and thinking "screw it... who cares... in the end i'll get high marks because my partner is dating my coach's son". bleh :lol: instead, the thing would be more logic if Meryl were dating Marina, rather than Andreev. :D

2. There is a school of thought out there that the ISU likes to "spread the wealth" in terms of handing out Gold medals to different countries. Perhaps there is a feeling that because the USA has no medal contender in Ladies, Men or Pairs that they need to give the US the ice dance title.

Each nation gets a piece of the cake.
Skate Canada is (has been) politicking for Pchan, so it left Ice Dance to the US. I think figure skating works this way since the mists of time. It's like a deal. (Bad) politics is nothing more than making deals to balance power and benefits.

Itīll all become clearer after the GPF what programs are better received.
i would like to reply with these smiles only :D:D:D:D:D , instead, i decided to chasten my laziness doing a little copy-paste

VM pcs
DW pcs

about what programs are better received :D

euterpe
11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Also, take into account the FD this year is similar to last year's SD. D/W have a more well known music, and I thought more audience friendly more bombastic dance. V/M had less well-known subtle dancewell interpreted but much less "flashy". Interestingly enough, D/W skated a waltz last year too. In the end, V/M won in the end.

Ummm, D/W won the 2011 World Championship.

Proustable
11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe maharbackward meant the SD (referring to the Waltz vs the more subtle dance V/M did).

Cherub721
11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Boy, Fedor really gets around: Tanith, Tessa and now Meryl???

Is that true? :rofl: I saw some references to it above, but assumed it was just speculation/joking.

PashaFan
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
There is one thing Marina, Igor, the USFA or the judging panel cannot change or ignore-Tessa & Scott are more talented than Meryl & Scott !.
Their talent shines through everytime they skate.

shsocu
11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
There is one thing Marina, Igor, the USFA or the judging panel cannot change or ignore-Tessa & Scott are more talented than Meryl & Scott !.
Their talent shines through everytime they skate.

Man Scott really gets around! :P