PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Zemgirl
11-21-2011, 05:48 AM
This last comment is pure politicking IMO. I think it's ridiculous the USFSA published this. My guess is the USFSA is wanting to show that P&B are closer to V&M than V&M are to D&W. :rolleyes:
The Golden Skate article (http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/11/virtue-and-moir-continue-seasons-winning-streak-in-paris/) about the free dance also questioned the difference in PCS, though in milder language - and I don't think GS is in the politicking business.

FD I thought was fabulous. I'm really starting to see myself loving this program by seasons end.As good as SC maybe not the emotion of the home crowd and it does make me worry for Worlds being in France. The crowds were good don't get me wrong but maybe it was because the followed P/B which could definitely happen again, it just seemed reserved. Hopefully they'll have a buffer at Worlds and won't have to follow them.

P/B were actually quite good. I hated this program at SC but they did a great job today
I think you mean at SA. The withdrew from SC due to Bourzat's bronchitis.

There will always be skaters with home ice advantage. For some of them it's just extra pressure, for some it helps. If P/B enjoy an edge because of that this year, V/M were in the same situation at Vancouver, and will be the home team at next season's Worlds. And I just have to add - there are probably, to some degree, cultural differences in the skating styles fans prefer, which could also account for audience reactions, rather than patriotism only. I don't remember what kind of reactions V/M have received at TEB in the past, but at last year's TEB, Kozuka's excellent LP got a lot of people on their feet, even though it was clear he'd just beaten the French leader. But not everyone is going to love V/M's programs, or enjoy the emphasis on classic ballroom stuff that the top Canton teams are doing this season.

pani
11-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Just watched the second part of the press conference quick ? When they are asking Tessa and Scott about wearing gloves for the program. I had to :lol:when Scott says something like 'I like to feel her bare hands' and Tessa shoots him(or Fabian who seems to be initiating trouble)a little look, and he then says '...on my hands' and slaps hands with Fabian. Such dirty minds,:lol:too funny.

:lol: I think Fabian said something to Scott before he said this.I like that skater have so much funn together, not like journalists from different countries :D

The Golden Skate article about the free dance also questioned the difference in PCS, though in milder language - and I don't think GS is in the politicking business.
I think all people respect this opinion and its interesting to read. But in this article auther talk not about Components Score (like in article on icenetwork), but about GOE ;)
Honestly, Tatjana Flade always were D-W fan (Charlie fan ;)) and europian ice dance teams fans. But all people have there favorites, so...
But even people, who didnt like V-M admit they were faster, cleaner, then P-B. So this is difference in GOE. And again - Tatjana Flade didnt like B-S, so next week we read how D-W were better on 30 points, but recive only on 20 points more :lol:
The one problem with Icenetwork article - its USAFSF site and journalist talk about expetrs, but look he is an expert :D But maybe bette was post interview with Peizerat, for example, who think V-M marks was too high :)

there are probably, to some degree, cultural differences in the skating styles fans prefer, which could also account for audience reactions, rather than patriotism only
Totaly agree and thats why my opinion is - "Funny face" is good for 2013 home WCh, but not so good for Europe :)

DORISPULASKI
11-21-2011, 07:18 AM
pani, you could be right. Perhaps another year would be better for Funny Face, than one when V&M and D&W and P&B are competing in France. I expect the French audience to cheer wildly for P&B; V&M and D&W, not so much.

I hope there will be lots of Japanese in the audience clapping for all the programs, as they did at NHK.

From the GS article, I thought this was sweet:

One of the great things about being in Paris is that this where „Funny Face“ was filmed,” noted Virtue. “So were trying to think about that when we were skating and we’re going to walk down Champs Elysees just like in the movie and take some photos.”

manhn
11-21-2011, 07:32 AM
To calm some nerves, it should be noted that almost all the dance teams had lower scores at TEB than at their previous GP. The only exception was P&B, but then their FD at SA was problematic due to Fabian's illness. And it wasn't that much higher. It'll be interesting how B&S score at CoR. So, T&S basically getting the same score as SC isn't that big a deal.

I will probably never love this free dance (the music just does not transport me) but they skate it exceptionally well.

I disagree that they should've skated it next season. The grumbling by some fans that this is "same old same old" is standard, but you're hearing it in the media too. I'm sure Z&S will have them skate to something "different" next season in preparation for 2014. Even if next season's programs isn't universally well received (which, of course, many years later, people will just LOVE LOVE LOVE), they will be "protected" by a very home audience.

All's I'm hoping is that the SD for the 2013/2014 season is the Tango Romantica. My gawd, would T&S rock it. 2012/2013 can be the Yankee Polka or whatever.

pani
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
I heard rumors 2013 Pattern dance will be quick-step. Not so good for V-M, because they are doing this type of dance now :P
And i am strongly disagree FF is the same dance. For me its even funny - what people see the same in Mahler and FF? Did they DANCE in Mahler? ;)

Doris, like i post before - in Torino was really great crowd who support everyone. So even if P-B will be crowd favorites (they deserve to have there moment of live at least), other skaters will have support too.
I am more unhappy with D-W and V-M crowd-pleased music difference.

MarieM
11-21-2011, 07:43 AM
the french crowd thought the canadian expats duchesnays deserved to beat klimova and ponomarenko`s masterpiece:lol:

If you're talking about 1992, go and check your facts. The public went NUTS for Klimova&Ponomarenko. NUTS. That program gave chills to everyone and the public reacted accordingly.

DORISPULASKI
11-21-2011, 08:14 AM
pani, Which Quickstep? The old one or the Finnstep!

I'd love to see the Finnstep again. It is such a light and fun dance.

Zemgirl
11-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes, bring back the Finnstep! We didn't get nearly enough of it before CDs were discontinued, and it is such a lovely dance.

Which teams do you think would be well-served by the Finnstep being a part of the SD?

DORISPULASKI
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I think it certainly favors teams that have competed the dance before. In the 2008/2009 season, it was chosen as the dance for 4CC's and for Euros. So W&P, D&W, and Tessa & Scott and for that matter, Huang & Zheng, have all competed the Finnstep.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2009/CAT004RS.HTM

It is a tricky dance.

At 4CC's V&M won the Finnstep over Meryl and Charlie.

So have P&B and Cappellini & Lanotte competed the Finnstep.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2009/CAT004RS.HTM

It's surprising how many of the European dancers of the 2009 season are not competing any more or are competing with other partners.

It's difficult to say what teams are truly favored until you know which key points are picked for grading.

I am surprised to see C&L getting higher levels on the rhumba than V&M this year, for example. I would never have predicted that :eek:

MarieM
11-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Give credit where credit is due : Walter Zuccaro. He has always been great for italian teams, even if it's not ... what's happening on the ice to say the least ;)

Because there is no way C&L were better than the top two at TEB. Her edges ... well lack of are just atrocious.

Zemgirl
11-21-2011, 10:06 AM
It's surprising how many of the European dancers of the 2009 season are not competing any more or are competing with other partners.

It's difficult to say what teams are truly favored until you know which key points are picked for grading.

I am surprised to see C&L getting higher levels on the rhumba than V&M this year, for example. I would never have predicted that :eek:
It's kind of sad - some of those skaters and teams could have accomplished much more. I really respect the teams that have been able to continue together for many years.

Possibly the most viewed skating program on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwAgMg09v8) is a Finnstep. Of course, it's not because the general public developed a sudden interest in compulsories... :P

PashaFan
11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I live in Europe so get to watch the Europeans skate a lot more than the North Americans.
Because of that I tend to support the European couples more.
But I do accept that Tessa & Scott are the most natural & talented Ice Dancers I have ever seen.
Not too keen on their FD this year but the quality is the best.
I just find Meryl & Charlie a little bland sometimes. I don't know why but Meryl's expression REALLY annoys me. And the Shibutani's leave me a little cold.
Having seen all the grand prix events so far this year I would have Tessa & Scott at the top with Natalie & Fabian second. It's a close thing for me between Davis & White & Weaver & Poje.
Then the Italians.
The Europeans will be interesting with no Faella & Scalli or The Kerrs.
I know it's still early in the season but Tessa & Scott have very little to work on as their FD is already looking fantastic.
Natalie & Fabian have much improving to do but that could work in their favour come the Euro's & World's.

pani
11-21-2011, 02:14 PM
pani, Which Quickstep? The old one or the Finnstep!

I heard about old Quickstep.
I am not sure Finnstep will be good idea only because not a lot off teams did it before, but this dance in very difficult.

DORISPULASKI
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Difficult is good - it sorts the sheep from the goats. And that would be good for both V&M and D&W.

The last time the old quickstep was competed was the 2002/2003 season, and 2003-2004 in Juniors. It was V&M's and D&W's first year in juniors, so they might have skated it. P&B were new seniors in 2002/2003, so they have skated it too. I don't know whether any of the 3 teams competed with it, as the dances were drawn out of the hat for the competitions, and it is a long time ago.

Like the rhumba, it was thought to be too easy a dance, needing replacement.

http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/72-quickstep
and
http://www.ice-dance.com/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/Quickstep.pdf

"This dance is skated in Kilian position throughout with both partners skating the same steps in excellent unison. It is essential that the couple remain hip to hip throughout the dance. [...]

Adjectives describing the character of this dance are bright, gay, lively, fast, happy. To achieve this mood, the footwork must be precise and crisp, and the timing of feet and body movement must be accurate. Supple knee action with a slight bounce will keep the performance from appearing too smooth, and free leg extensions must be apparent even on the one-count steps to avoid a slurring motion."

If used, I expect the man's and lady's steps in the choctaw to be two of the 3 key points. As with the rhumba, the clean edges in the choctaw are key. Maybe the cross roll in step 16 for the other point?

Couples that do happy and skate close together should do well.

It was skated at the 2002 Olympics. Here's Anissina & Peizerat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw6zOeySwo

I cringe at the idea of watching SD's with the old Quickstep, because it was a very boring dance.

Rafter
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I think all people respect this opinion and its interesting to read. But in this article auther talk not about Components Score (like in article on icenetwork), but about GOE ;)

No, she was talking about the overall FD score between V&M and P&B.

Actually, a gap of 7.71 points in the free dance score seemed a little large.

I'm surprised Flade would write this considering she is a paid employee of the ISU.

As for next year's rumoured CD pattern for the SD, I love the idea of the Quickstep. Love that CD!