PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #12 Only Audrey and Fred this season on ice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

shan
11-20-2011, 04:18 AM
At first, the only headline I read was "Virtue and Moir Win to the Surprise of No One". I didn't understand the fuss. But then I read the other headline "Ho Hum: Virtue and Moir Win By a Wide Margin" and I was :yikes: I don't necessarily think "politics" I think "rude".

marbri
11-20-2011, 04:42 AM
The name on all the TEB articles on icenetwork is Jean-Christophe Berlot. He appears to be from France.

sap5
11-20-2011, 05:05 AM
The name on all the TEB articles on icenetwork is Jean-Christophe Berlot. He appears to be from France.

It doesn't really matter whether the author is from France. What matters is what articles icenetwork chooses to publish on its site. For example, sentences like this:

Although well skated, their program lacked the charisma and personal involvement we have grown accustomed to seeing from them in the past.

make me think "In whose opinion?", or "how did the judges' scoring indicate this?" It's one thing to say "Patrick Chan landed awkwardly on two jumps" because everyone can see that. But who is deciding that the program lacked charisma and personal involvement?

Bottom line, I would think icenetwork takes responsibility for what appears on its site. Therefore, they were okay with the way this article is worded, and to me, that is troublesome.

flowerpower
11-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Bottom line, I would think icenetwork takes responsibility for what appears on its site. Therefore, they were okay with the way this article is worded, and to me, that is troublesome.

I sent them feedback at this email address: feedback@website.icenetwork.com

In general, I think that icenetwork has been reasonably objective in the past, so this article really troubled me.

DORISPULASKI
11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I hadn't read the two articles, since, no surprise, I tend to read the Golden Skate coverage, instead. It's apt to be more complete and more accurate. ice-dance.com does a good job, too.

GS report on the SD:
http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/11/virtue-and-moir-dance-to-strong-lead-at-trophee-bompard/

Note there is a link to the protocols at the end of the piece.

The FD article should be up later today.

In any case, the IN articles read to me as written by a French correspondent trying to pump up P&B to the level of V&M and D&W. (The implied criticism was that P&B do better story telling & interpretative work than V&M, which in the case of Funny Face vs. the Mummy is a pretty baseless critique. Pechalat is reported as saying something to this effect, so it is not all the correspondent.)

However, the rude headlines on the icenetwork home page were not the work of the French correspondent-they were obviously the work of icenetwork. And if you have ever happened to read the same Associated Press article in different newspapers, you will have noticed that it's common practice for the newspapers' editorial staffs to put their own different headlines on articles. The same practice has continued in on line journalism.

Only ice network is responsible for "Ho Hum"

While Capellini & Lanotte did not have the highest TES of the event, they did indeed have the highest overall base score, as they had two level 4 rhumba sequences. Scott and Tessa had 2 level 3's. Nathalie and Fabian had a level 4 and a level 3.

US Sports aired the FD and SD last night with Tanith Belbin as commentator who was very, very complimentary to Tessa & Scott. There was also an interview where T&S said that they had travel messups that lost them a day of practice at TEB.

Bue
11-20-2011, 11:17 AM
The headlines are ridiculous but I don't mind the opinions in the piece - it's no different to the Eurosport guys giving their opinion on air (and oh, they do!). I just don't think this guy is a V/M fan. Despite a flawed performance, he was very complimentary of Patrick Chan, so there's no anti-Canadian-ness going on here:

"Even though he tripped on several elements later (he doubled his triple Axel and his final triple Lutz, and almost fell on his circular step sequence), Chan managed to keep the interest of his program, which was rich and dense and packed with palpable emotion."

pani
11-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Did you saw press-conference?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjR5Ix32Sk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxmHDvuR2g&feature=player_embedded

Maybe it was the same guy, who sak T-S why there component score higher, then P-B had in every component especially in choreo. :D Thanks Natalie - i think even P-B feel uncomfortable with this.
Why this guy post something good about Chan? Did you saw Joubert in Paris? :lol:
I remeber all that french "cold war" before 2006 OG against "North American gays, who slept with judges in officials" Anazing country!
Feel a little sorry for T-S, but this made them only stronger.

Saw FD at Eurosport. This was good perfomance, because they was faster. And russian commentators love this two more then all other ice dancer.

Zemgirl
11-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe it was the same guy, who sak T-S why there component score higher, then P-B had in every component especially in choreo. :D Thanks Natalie - i think even P-B feel uncomfortable with this.
Why this guy post something good about Chan? Did you saw Joubert in Paris? :lol:
No, but I saw Florent Amodio, who is the reigning European Champion, so I don't see where you're going with these insinuations. Maybe Berlot just wasn't impressed with Tessa and Scott's performance and programs. He has written for IN in the past and has written both positive and critical assessments of the French skaters.

To me, something about V/M's performances so far this season just seems slightly off. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Arctic Edge.

pani
11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
No, but I saw Florent Amodio, who is the reigning European Champion, so I don't see where you're going with these insinuations. Maybe Berlot just wasn't impressed with Tessa and Scott's performance and programs. He has written for IN in the past and has written both positive and critical assessments of the French skaters.

To me, something about V/M's performances so far this season just seems slightly off. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Arctic Edge.

Did Amodio have any good perfomance this season? And honestly, he is very poor skater - he is great skater for France and maybe for Europ, but not for World. In Europe we have much stronger guys, like Bzezina, Fernandes.

He could have his opinion, and all could not like V-M programs or didnt like there skating skills and technick (like when he ask them about there high component score), but i think in this case no matter, what did you say, but more important how you did this. Especially if your are a reall journalist.
But its OK - i am happy even P-B understand how bad this was to do this at press-conference.
I agree, he could post anything in article, but ask T-S - why you have higher marks at press-conference? What he expect from them? Said will say - i agree, we will give part of our score to Natalie and Fabien.
I understand, P-B is only hope in Nice fore France (like it was with Joubert in 2006 at OG), but you must show more class i think.

Rafter
11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Nah, it's just passive-aggressive.

The way Beverly Smith talks up Canadian skaters is so fervent and one-dimensional that it seems like a diss (not to mention that she does in facto do so more directly).

Uh, the difference is that Bev Smith doesn't work/write for Skate Canada and isn't affiliated with them in any official capacity. She's a sports writer for Canada national liberal newspaper.

With icenetwork, they are owned by the USFSA and therefore a talking piece for USFSA messaging.

I wonder if icenetwork would ever publish an article with the headline: "Ho Hum: Davis & White win again". Me thinks not.

pani
11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Uh, the difference is that Bev Smith doesn't work/write for Skate Canada and isn't affiliated with them in any official capacity. She's a sports writer for Canada national liberal newspaper.

With icenetwork, they are owned by the USFSA and therefore a talking piece for USFSA messaging.

I wonder if icenetwork would ever publish an article with the headline: "Ho Hum: Davis & White win again". Me thinks not.

But when you open article you will see:
"Virtue and Moir Win to the Surprise of No One"

Rafter
11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
icenetwork is very clearly politicking with these latest V/M articles. It's a site run by USFSA, so why should anyone be surprised?

I wonder if that French guy who wrote the article also wrote the headline or if icenetwork has a copy editor/headline editor back in Colorado Springs (or whereever icenetwork is based) who puts a title on them.

To me it just makes the USFSA look desperate.

Rafter
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
It doesn't really matter whether the author is from France. What matters is what articles icenetwork chooses to publish on its site. For example, sentences like this:

make me think "In whose opinion?", or "how did the judges' scoring indicate this?" It's one thing to say "Patrick Chan landed awkwardly on two jumps" because everyone can see that. But who is deciding that the program lacked charisma and personal involvement?

I completely agree.

I guess because the USFSA doesn't have a gold medal contender in any other discipline they have to put down D&W's biggest rivals. :rolleyes:

Rafter
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Did you saw press-conference?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjR5Ix32Sk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxmHDvuR2g&feature=player_embedded

Wow, Anna C's english is excellent. Very impressed!

Saw FD at Eurosport. This was good perfomance, because they was faster. And russian commentators love this two more then all other ice dancer.

Can you tell us what the Russian commentators said about V&Ms FD, pani?

PashaFan
11-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I watched the FD on Eurosport, so it was Nicky Slater. He thought Natalie & Fabian were a lot closer to Tessa & Scott than the judges gave them credit for.
Like I said yesterday I'm a HUGE Natalie & Fabian fan & in terms of choreography liked their FD more than Tessa & Scott's BUT that's the kind of ice dance routines I like & can remember Natalie & Fabian skating to a similar routine at the Euro Gala in 2008 & liking it then.
But in terms of skating skills & talent Tessa & Scott were the best & deserved to win.
I just wish more credit were given to couples who skate to interesting routines rather than the usual one's. The Italians were a little under-marked I thought.
But having watched Tessa & Scott at Skate Canada & TEB I can honestly say I think they are way ahead of Meryl & Charlie but in terms of enjoyment I have found myself liking Weaver & Poje the best & was shocked that they lost to the Shibutani's at the NHK Trophy.
I got slated on another thread for not getting the Shibutani's !