PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll on Elizaveta Tuktamisheva

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

giselle23
10-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Frank speaks the truth. (I wonder what he thought of 14 year old Tara Lipinski?)

smarts1
10-31-2011, 01:33 AM
Oksana Baiul was the only convincing argument I've ever seen for continuing to keep compulsory figures as part of competition. That said, I still love her skating, three-turns, two-foots and all, and she's my hero for defeating Nancy Kerrigan.

I'm sorry, I have to say this, even if it strays away from the original topic, but it was a travesty that Oksana beat Nancy that night.

attyfan
10-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Frank speaks the truth. (I wonder what he thought of 14 year old Tara Lipinski?)

FWIW, in one interview, MK said that Frank was the one who told her about the results of Nagano ... and that Frank also told her that Tara had a "spark" that she didn't.

bek
10-31-2011, 01:36 AM

Frank spoke the truth, but he pretty much said everything bad about Elizaveta and very little good. One off hand comment about like Michelle wonderful jumps not much else..

Is it absolutely true that Elizaveta could grow big time and lose the jumps. Absolutely! Is true that she needs more maturity in her skating. Absolutely!

But its also a fact that Tukts one of the most talented young skaters to come around and awhile, and that most 14 year olds don't jump like Tukt does.

How would Frank like it if Mishin decided to trash Mirai and Mirai's performances/skating. There's plenty to trash there. He could talk about how Mirai was gifted a bit by the technical caller, he could talk about her inconsistency/tendency to give up.

Because you know what Elizaveta may skate like a kid, but in the long program she displayed FAR more maturity, and frankly far more attention to the music than Frank's "mature aged skater did". I've watched Tukt's skating for a few years now (and while her performance was a little muted here I'm sure due to nerves). I've never seen Elizaveta not bother to at least attempt to perform. And I'll take someone who always tries their best. Over someone who can perform but sometimes just chooses not bother.

Something tells me Frank wouldn't be talking this way if he didn't see a threat, and that Frank would also HAPPILY exchange students if he could.

And this isn't the first very good skater that was not Frank's that Frank choose to diss.

I would point out to the Eurosport commentatory where they said that Elizaveta's not yet a woman, just a girl and kind of like a gymnast but also said hey the maturity will come. And praised the girl for her wonderful jumping technique.

ballettmaus
10-31-2011, 01:40 AM
I wans't even talking to you.

:rofl: You didn't just seriously write that, did you? That's kind of the thing about a message board. It's public. Which means: everyone reads comments and everyone answers comments. Otherwise it would be called private messaging or emailing. :P

millipied
10-31-2011, 01:41 AM
:rofl: You didn't just seriously write that, did you? That's kind of the thing about a message board. It's public. Which means: everyone reads comments and everyone answers comments. Otherwise it would be called private messaging or emailing. :P

I didn't know that. Thanks for education.

overedge
10-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Frank spoke the truth, but he pretty much said everything bad about Elizaveta and very little good. .

Well, maybe he doesn't think there's much good to be said. Is he supposed to say nice things he doesn't believe, just to be nice?

bek
Well, maybe he doesn't think there's much good to be said. Is he supposed to say nice things he doesn't believe, just to be nice?

The jumps are very good. Anyone can see that one. Its not just because she's 14 and tiny. She's got near perfect jumping technique. Frank knows that too.

doubleflutz
I'm sorry, I have to say this, even if it strays away from the original topic, but it was a travesty that Oksana beat Nancy that night.

Oh, totally. It was the wrong result for the wrong reasons, but I would have had Lu Chen over both of them anyway, and I just can't find it in my heart to feel bad for Nancy, all things considered. In a competition where they were never going to come up with the right result anyway due to politics, I can't be too upset that they picked the completely-wrong champion over the slightly-less-wrong one.

arakwafan2006
10-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Am i the only person who thought " why not have different scoring systems for each singles discipline?" I think that it would not be a bad idea to have the women scored more conservatively and limit their triples per program and to keep the mens where it is.

smarts1
10-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Oh, totally. It was the wrong result for the wrong reasons, but I would have had Lu Chen over both of them anyway, and I just can't find it in my heart to feel bad for Nancy, all things considered. In a competition where they were never going to come up with the right result anyway due to politics, I can't be too upset that they picked the completely-wrong champion over the slightly-less-wrong one.

As much as I loved all of Lulu's programs (and I am the biggest advocate of her programs), I was not a fan of her 94 Olympics LP. As usual for her, it was musical and lyrical and there were a lot of transitions in that program that today's ladies programs don't even have. She did many more clean jumps than anyone else in the competition. But it never really built for me, and it was somewhat sullen. It was kind of odd to be that she decided to keep that LP for two seasons, and it was the only time during her career that she kept an LP for two seasons. But yes, Lulu should have been second though.

smarts1
10-31-2011, 02:03 AM
^ What's with the thumbs down on my previous comment?

overedge
10-31-2011, 02:05 AM
The jumps are very good. Anyone can see that one. Its not just because she's 14 and tiny. She's got near perfect jumping technique. Frank knows that too.

How do you know what Frank "knows"?

bek
10-31-2011, 02:07 AM
How do you know what Frank "knows"?

Because anyone with eyes can see that those jumps are quality stuff. The way Elizaveta lands some of those jumps is just just wonderful. And how many other commentators have to state the same? I prefer Adelina over all. But still.

Sylvia
10-31-2011, 02:10 AM
In the article Carroll referred to Tuktamisheva "executing these wonderful jumps..."