PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll on Elizaveta Tuktamisheva

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Vash01
11-02-2011, 08:16 PM
All that Frank pointed out was that you can't tell which 13 year old jumping beans will amount to anything until more time has passed ... it is time and time only that will determine if Elizaveta is the Russian Kwan or not. Certainly, I don't think Frank makes comparisons to Kwan with skaters that he thinks aren't any good. I also can't help but wonder if Frank's comments were affected by his own experience with kids who have been surrounded by too much gush and hype.

What did Frank tell us that we did not already know? Almost everyone that follows FS knows that young skaters don't always live up to the promise when they grow up. It was what followed that sounded offensive to me- particularly calling Liza "Novice"- that was over the top and totally uncalled for. If he meant to caution the public against the hype, he did not do it very skillfully.

Triple Butz
11-02-2011, 08:59 PM
What did Frank tell us that we did not already know? Almost everyone that follows FS knows that young skaters don't always live up to the promise when they grow up. It was what followed that sounded offensive to me- particularly calling Liza "Novice"- that was over the top and totally uncalled for. If he meant to caution the public against the hype, he did not do it very skillfully.

I love Frank, catty comments and all, but I agree he went a bit too far, and considering where his student placed, it does make him look a bit like a whiner.

berthesghost
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Actually I think though the best thing going for Elizaveta is that she isn't the only Great Russian hope. She's one of many; she even said this, and as such probably realizes she will have to produce results. In contrast I think perhaps part of Mirai's problems is that once Zhang started to falter out she was pretty much told "your the future, your the future" and hyped a lot more than her counterparts (for good reason)Yes, mirai is so hyped over her teammates, that's why usfs gifted her a medal in 2009, holding her up as defending champ. Then they held her up again in 2010 so they could send their darling off to the olys as a 2 time and current nat champ. Then held her up again in 2011 to ensure she went to worlds. Yeah, she's so overhyped as usfs's only hope, the pressure is immense. How's the air on that alternative planet you live on? :lol:

bek
11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes, mirai is so hyped over her teammates, that's why usfs gifted her a medal in 2009, holding her up as defending champ. Then they held her up again in 2010 so they could send their darling off to the olys as a 2 time and current nat champ. Then held her up again in 2011 to ensure she went to worlds. Yeah, she's so overhyped as usfs's only hope, the pressure is immense. How's the air on that alternative planet you live on? :lol:

Just because Nagasu was overhyped doesn't mean the USFSA was going to give her a free pass. Did Nagasu fans ever consider that the USFSA was trying to send Nagasu a message? I don't think anyone even the USFSA regarded Flatt as the one would could potential compete with Kim/Japanese skaters etc. Mirai can but not even Mirai shows up in that kind of shape that she did in Nationals.

Look at how much better Alissa got when the USFSA gave her similar tough love the year before at Nationals.

luenatic
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Just watched Queen Tukt's SP and LP so that I can have an educated conversation here. Her programs could be improved a lot in terms of choreography. The LP was just strange. Most of the time she was just circling around the center ice and jumped. That was just a bit weird.

Her jumps were GREAT. Fully rotated and landed securely. Magnificent.

Her layback spin was not that good. The position was just not that pleasing to watch.

She needs to pay attention to her lower body posture. While she was extending/stretching her upper body (fingers), she didn't stretch or point her toe. To me, her upper body did not connect to her lower body.

She can work on generating more power from her edges (edge pull). She slowed down quite a bit during the footwork sequence as she couldn't generate enough power from edges to maintain the flow.

All in all, she has GREAT potential to be the next big skating star. She needs choreographer to bring out the best of her.

Dilng
11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Oksana Baiul was the only convincing argument I've ever seen for continuing to keep compulsory figures as part of competition. That said, I still love her skating, three-turns, two-foots and all, and she's my hero for defeating Nancy Kerrigan.

:lol: I'll second that!!!:)

orbitz
11-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Her layback spin was not that good. The position was just not that pleasing to watch.

Irina S. is the only Russian female skater that has a decent layback position. What is it with Russian ladies and ugly laybacks?

BmcC102
11-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Irina S. is the only Russian female skater that has a decent layback position. What is it with Russian ladies and ugly laybacks?

I agree; what's the issue? The russians have such wonderful line in sports like Rhythmic Gymnastics... why the ugly laybacks?

In all honesty, the American ladies have had the best laybacks for the past 10-15 years, even those who don't make it out of Nationals on all the levels. Thank you, Mr. Button!

Vash01
11-04-2011, 03:41 AM
The US ladies have the best spirals too. Except for Oksana, I don't see any Russian/USSR ladies with exceptional spirals. If only they could jump......sigh!

VIETgrlTerifa
11-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Oksana had exceptional spirals? I think one of the biggest mysteries was how the Soviets/Russians and the other former Soviet states had such gorgeous pairs and ice dancers where they emphasized line, choreography, and classic style while their ladies didn't have the same emphasis.

Vash01
11-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Oksana had exceptional spirals? I think one of the biggest mysteries was how the Soviets/Russians and the other former Soviet states had such gorgeous pairs and ice dancers where they emphasized line, choreography, and classic style while their ladies didn't have the same emphasis.

Oksana not only had very good spirals, but she was very creative with them. She also had wonderful lines. Go watch her (mostly pro) routines. Watch her 94 SP, her exhibition 'The swan'.

ainouta
11-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Yulia Lavrenchuk (http://youtu.be/Kj5r414mlXg?t=2m6s) had an excellent layback. Diana Poth's (http://youtu.be/6vnTejJhGlI?t=55s) wasn't too shabby, either.

Vash01
11-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Yulia Lavrenchuk (http://youtu.be/Kj5r414mlXg?t=2m6s) had an excellent layback. Diana Poth's (http://youtu.be/6vnTejJhGlI?t=55s) wasn't too shabby, either.

She (Yulia) looks really good. Even Dick Button approved of her leg position. What happened to her?

VIETgrlTerifa
11-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Oksana not only had very good spirals, but she was very creative with them. She also had wonderful lines. Go watch her (mostly pro) routines. Watch her 94 SP, her exhibition 'The swan'.

Of course, Oksana was the exception which is why everyone jumped on her from the beginning. However, her spirals may have been creative, but "exceptional"? I'm not sure about that, but maybe I've been spoiled by the late 90s-mid 2000s.

Vash01
11-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Of course, Oksana was the exception which is why everyone jumped on her from the beginning. However, her spirals may have been creative, but "exceptional"? I'm not sure about that, but maybe I've been spoiled by the late 90s-mid 2000s.

Being creative is being exceptional.