PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

sk9tingfan
02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Since S.I. com just reported that the site for the 2014 US Figure Championships will be announced on May 1, if we don't hear about Skate America beforehand, the site for SA in 2012 may be a dry run for Nationals.

If beforehand, perhaps the SA site will be a second place finisher for 2014 Nationals? Any thoughts?

peibeck
02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Since S.I. com just reported that the site for the 2014 US Figure Championships will be announced on May 1, if we don't hear about Skate America beforehand, the site for SA in 2012 may be a dry run for Nationals.

If beforehand, perhaps the SA site will be a second place finisher for 2014 Nationals? Any thoughts?

I don't think that's how it normally works. For example, I know Kansas City had bid for Nationals for several years and didn't end up with Skate America for being the "runner-up."

The only exception I can think of is generally the Grand Prix final is held in the future Olympic venue in advance. For example in 2012 the GPF will be in Sochi. Vanouver held the GPF a season before the Olympics as well, as I recall.

genevieve
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Vancouver had 4CCs in 2009 as the test run

sk9tingfan
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I could see the Agganis Arena as a good possibility for Skate America if it's not already being used by the college at that time.

Rob
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Portland 2010 wasn't announced until May, so it could still be awhile!

Actually it was March:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/03/2010_skate_america_will_be_hel.html

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72589

Does USFS underestimate the power of the impulse buy? I think I signed up for tickets for my first SA when I picked up a flyer at 2003 Worlds. I nearly bought 2004 Nationals tickets there too I was having so much fun. Then I signed up for 2004 SA when I got the flyer at 2003 SA, and so on through I think Atlantic City -- I think that was the last time I saw an SA ticket booth at any other event. Are they stuck on just trying to sell the next Nationals at Nationals or something?

chipso1
02-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes. We all need to chill.

If the USFS expects people to actually come to these events in person, they need to give fans a bit more notice, or at least keep them in the loop as to when an announcement will be made. It's like any other business: poor customer service is going to drive people away, and that's obviously what's been happening these past few years.

The event is 8 months away. I don't think it's a ridiculous request to expect that we should know a location by now.

Sparks
02-17-2012, 11:21 PM
But we haven't in the past, why now?

chipso1
02-17-2012, 11:30 PM

I'm pretty sure events were announced much sooner than this in the past. It seems as it's only the past few years that we've been given >1 year notice.

talulabell
02-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Yeah... Used to be you could sign up to get SA tickets while you were at the previous SA.

I don't think they're keeping the info from us, I don't think they have a final arrangement yet. I just think its gotten that much harder to get a host.

Rob
02-18-2012, 04:16 PM

This is a more recent phenomenon. 2005 Skate America in Atlantic city was announced in November 2003. Hartford 2006 was announced in May 2005. I think Everett 2008 was announced a year in advance. Not sure if it has to do with lack of bidders or if it is just USFS causing the delay.

sk9tingfan
02-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I think that this may have something to do with the difficulty in finding/nailing appropriate venues and clubs that are willing to take on the responsibility. And as always, there's always the possible lag associated with the legal "black hole".

BittyBug
02-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Does USFS underestimate the power of the impulse buy?Or the excitement and interest that a great event can generate in the moment. Remember how Tom Collins used to place order forms for next year's COI on every seat in the arena?

LadyNit
02-18-2012, 07:03 PM
<vagueness> At US Nats someone told me that the SA 2012 location would be announced in March. </vagueness>

Debbie S
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I think that this may have something to do with the difficulty in finding/nailing appropriate venues and clubs that are willing to take on the responsibility. Clubs do not take on any responsibility for SA. It is an ISU event and the USFSA is considered the LOC. SA could be anywhere that the USFSA can negotiate a deal with an arena and hotels and get the ISU to agree. The USFSA does work with local clubs to coordinate volunteers - generally, it's the judges and other USFSA bigwigs in an area that do most of the work on this. But SA is a relatively small event and doesn't need a large number of volunteers like a Nats or Worlds would.

lamarenee
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Perhaps Skate America could be held two permanent venues that they use in alternate years: possibly Lake Placid one year and Colorado Springs the next. Then USFS could focus more energy on the event itself without worrying about the bid process. I wouldn't suggest this for US Nationals, but it could work for SA.