PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

TanithandBenFan
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
I vote for Detroit. Retro fit the Cobo arena. Maybe re visit the 'whack heard round the world' and people to buy tickets to 'guided tours' of 'what happened behind the curtain and all of that. It won't be an anniversary of the 1994 attacks, but let's get some broader media attention on the sport to get some butts in the seats for a Skate America shall we? Given all the skaters training the Detroit area, I'll bet the stands could at least look partly more full than usual just with the family and friends contingents. Otherwise, hosting this event to empty arenas is just plain embarrassing.

I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other. :(

Jayar
12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other. :(

It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.

TanithandBenFan
12-21-2011, 11:55 PM
It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.

From your mouth to the ISU's ears! :)

BittyBug
12-23-2011, 12:06 AM

It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.Given the dire economic straights of the Detroit area, for the event to be successful it would have to draw on Canadian fans, and with SC in Windsor, I'd wonder whether the target audience might not already be committed to SC. So while it might be great for the ISU, I don't think it would end up being great for USFS or the LOC.

Rob
02-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Any rumors about bidders? (trying to plan this year's vacations).

Vash01
02-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I vote for Phoenix

julieann
02-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I vote for Phoenix

ME TOO! :cheer2:

azcalder
02-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Me three.......

nubka
02-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Phoenix would be fantastic!!! :respec::respec::respec:

manhn
02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Is Pheonix really a possibility? I am planning on going to a US city in May and Pheonix was my #1 choice. But if SA is in Pheonix, maybe I'll go to Chicago instead...

I was hoping Vegas. Is there anyway a US Nats or SA could go to Vegas?

Vash01
02-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Is Pheonix really a possibility? I am planning on going to a US city in May and Pheonix was my #1 choice. But if SA is in Pheonix, maybe I'll go to Chicago instead...

I was hoping Vegas. Is there anyway a US Nats or SA could go to Vegas?

I don't see why not, esp. for SA. The weather is a lot like Phoenix (cool/pleasant and dry), lots of places to stay and eat. The only thing I don't know is if they have a large enough arena for the ice.

Talking of Phoenix, I have not heard anything about bringing either SA or the US nationals to Phoenix. It's just my desire.

Another selling point for Phoenix may be its proximity to one of the seven wonders in the world- the Grand Canyon National park. People can see the park and the skating in one trip.

lexeoe
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
if its phoenix i bet they'll be using Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

victoriaheidi
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Given the dire economic straights of the Detroit area, for the event to be successful it would have to draw on Canadian fans, and with SC in Windsor, I'd wonder whether the target audience might not already be committed to SC. So while it might be great for the ISU, I don't think it would end up being great for USFS or the LOC.

I'd be allowed to go to Detroit. :) I have relatives there. So I vote for it. But, in all seriousness, Phoenix is a really great option (and I have a friend who'll be gone at school, but maybe I could crash by her folks? That would be nice).

Vash01
02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
if its phoenix i bet they'll be using Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

It's a beautiful arena. I have visited it many times for the Coyotes (NHL) games, and once for COI. It's a bit away from the center of the metropolis, but skating fans don't care.:lol: Their food selection is rather limited (not many vegetarian choices) and there are fewer restaurants within walking distance. From that perspective, the US Airways center is far better. However, the Suns play there, so it won't work for the nationals, but could easily work for SA.

Meredith
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Phoenix IS a beautiful area, plus it is easy to get to from wherever you are coming from (a big deal for me). Detroit would be wonderful too. So would Cincinnati. There are so many good choices; I hope they choose an area that is easy to reach.