PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Jayar
10-31-2011, 05:43 PM
It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel and it only takes about 25 minutes to get to Hershey from Harrisburg International Airport. The event would draw folks from New York, Philly, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and NoVa. It could be a fantastic event.

Rob
10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't think a local skate club is needed as a sponsor for SA. It's an ISU event, so the USFSA is considered the LOC, I think.

I thought that an LOC had to apply to USFS for it - doesn't have to be a skate club, but it can be or a skate club can be part of the LOC. I don't think lots of sports promoters or arenas will be stepping up without urging from a skate club if they saw the attendance this year, unless they have a strong skating base in the area like Lake Placid or they have done it before.

peibeck
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Based on the ISU/USFSA demands, it is no wonder no LOCs are lining up to bid on Skate America.

Considering one of the things they ask for is a local airport (preferably with direct international flights), I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid. :shuffle:

emason
10-31-2011, 06:05 PM
It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel and it only takes about 25 minutes to get to Hershey from Harrisburg International Airport. The event would draw folks from New York, Philly, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and NoVa. It could be a fantastic event.

It wouldn't draw me from NY, I can tell you that. Atlantic City, though - I'd be happy to hop on the gambling bus for another trip down there.

peibeck
10-31-2011, 06:06 PM
It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel...

For 2012, Hilton is again the title sponsor, so a Hilton hotel would have to be the official hotel. (At least that is how I read the USFS application.)

berthesghost
10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
How about:

Providence RI
Worcester MA
Norfolk VA
Albany NY
Hershey PA
Charlotte NC

I think all of those have arenas that house minor league hockey. Do they have skate club sponsors?

I'd do Hartford, Pittsburgh, Lake Placid, or Reading again too. Maybe I will finally see the Pagoda.
Springfield, ma did SA back in 95 iirc.
What venue is in Albany?
Im not sure why Prov doesn't get anymore events. Was it usfs or prov that said "never again!" ?

berthesghost
10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Considering one of the things they ask for is a local airport (preferably with direct international flights), I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid. :shuffle:sometimes I'm too dumb to know when people r being sarcastic. Any who, it was the 30 year anniversary of the very first event which took place in lp before it even got slapped with the SA name, so you'd really have to kinda a dick to deny them. Then again, it's usfs. :P

peibeck
10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
sometimes I'm too dumb to know when people r being sarcastic. Any who, it was the 30 year anniversary of the very first event which took place in lp before it even got slapped with the SA name, so you'd really have to kinda a dick to deny them. Then again, it's usfs. :P

Yes, I was being sarcastic. :lol:

I didn't realize (or didn't remember) it was the 30th anniversary of SA (or whatever it was called when it first started) when Lake Placid last hosted it a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much discussion about it, as otherwise I would have at least understood why it was being held there.... so many hours away from any airport.

It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry. :shuffle:

Rob
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
What venue is in Albany?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Union_Center

Providence did a cheesefest at Dunkin Donuts centre, didn't it?

Carolla5501
10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
If this event had a $2,000,000 "spend" for Ontario I would be beyond shocked.

Reading that application packet really was amazing. They want the arena to just be donated with basically no real ablity to make any money. To me that's just going to be tough.

oleada
11-01-2011, 01:27 AM
It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry. :shuffle:

I don't care if it's LP, or Middle of nowhere, NY as long as I can drive to it :shuffle: Yes, it's all about me :D

Meredith
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Oooh, this! Indy is SO easy to navigate!

^ This. Plus I can drive there. :)

zaphyre14
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
The original name for Skate America was Flaming Leaves because it was held in Lake Placid on Columbus Day weekend, the height of foliage season tourism.

RobinA
11-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't care if it's LP, or Middle of nowhere, NY as long as I can drive to it :shuffle: Yes, it's all about me :D

I hear you. I went to SA in Lake Placid and it's the only event I've been able to go to in what seems like years. Give us something in the Northeast please! By the way, I loved Lake Placid SA. Athletes have somehow managed to get to LP for decades, so I'm sure they'd find a way.

Rob
11-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Same here. I like to avoid the airports if possible. Not afraid of flying, just sick of the airport hassle.

I drove from DC to NYC, stayed with a friend, then NYC to LP the next day. Great outlet shopping along the way. Loved it.

Then for Nationals, the same friend took the train from NYC to DC, stayed overnight with me, and we drove to Greensboro the next day.

We are hoping for an SA roadtrip in 2012.