PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]

TanithandBenFan
04-11-2012, 02:11 AM
When will we know who will be invited to compete at Skate America? Didn't we know some of them in Mid-may last year

The ISU Congress is in mid-June.

Rob
04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Hmpf, at this rate, the assignments might be announced before the location.

TanithandBenFan
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Anyone else going to double up with Skate America and Skate Canada if SA is in Detroit? I'm seriously considering it since I can work remotely from a hotel room between the events. Just have to worry about doing laundry. :lol:

talulabell
04-12-2012, 12:05 AM
The roumor I heard while at Worlds was Ann Arbor, Michigan. No idea if it's reliable, but maybe with all the Detriot talk, it could be.

SkateFan66
04-12-2012, 02:10 AM
The roumor I heard while at Worlds was Ann Arbor, Michigan. No idea if it's reliable, but maybe with all the Detriot talk, it could be.

Hopefully no Ann Arbor. The University of Michigan has a home game against Michigan State that weekend which means that hotel rooms will be expensive and hard to find. If Ann Arbor is like the college towns that I live near, on football weekends the hotels double their rates.

Coco
04-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm wondering where if they did have it in Ann Arbor. Crisler would be cool if they put an ice surface down. It's been a while since I've been there, but I think Yost is too rickety / uncomfortable.

Compuware arena in Canton would also work. I think Ben and Tanith did a few shows there.

I hope they have it somewhere smallish, so the stands don't look soooo empty.

Fridge_Break
04-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Compuware arena in Canton would also work. I think Ben and Tanith did a few shows there.

The Compuware would be way too small for Skate America, at least it was when I was there for Tanith & Ben's tsunami relief show back in 2006. I think it can seat maybe 4000 at most, and there wouldn't be room for judges/camera equipment/kiss & cry.

I don't know where else in the Ann Arbor area they'd hold the event. Plus, as was mentioned upthread, if it's a home football weekend, hotel prices are going to be beyond outrageous. Luckily I have friends in the area I can crash at if AA is the location of SA.

Theatregirl1122
04-12-2012, 05:32 AM
It would be ridiculous to have anything in Ann Arbor the day of the State game. You can't even drive to the grocery store. Ann Arbor could be one of the host clubs if the event was in Detroit?

Debbie S
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
It would be ridiculous to have anything in Ann Arbor the day of the State game. You can't even drive to the grocery store. Ann Arbor could be one of the host clubs if the event was in Detroit?Since it's an int'l event, there really isn't a host club, it's a host fed (USFSA).

In fact Nats isn't really hosted by a club anymore. What seems to be happening is either a council of clubs bid and then hire someone to run it, or a local events group or tourism agency handles the bid and the event mgmt. On one hand, it's probably better to have professionals running an event that size instead of volunteers, otoh, said professionals may not understand the sport or how Nats is supposed to run.

genevieve
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
The Compuware would be way too small for Skate America, at least it was when I was there for Tanith & Ben's tsunami relief show back in 2006. I think it can seat maybe 4000 at most, and there wouldn't be room for judges/camera equipment/kiss & cry..
Based on last year's SA, I'd say 4000 seats would be more than enough :shuffle:

Nan
04-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Anyone else going to double up with Skate America and Skate Canada if SA is in Detroit?

I would love to, I'm just not sure how my boss would feel about it. ;)

Fridge_Break
04-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Based on last year's SA, I'd say 4000 seats would be more than enough :shuffle:

I thought that too, but considering that Southeast Michigan is the skating training capital of the world, I think the turnout would be a *bit* better than this past year :lol:

l'etoile
04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Considering about 9500 seats in total were taken last year at SA, 4000 is a little bit harsh number for estimation, isn't it?

kwanfan1818
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
For Canadian/Canadian resident FSUers:

If you missed the announcement back in March (like I did), the import allowances changed as of 1 June 2012:

Out 24+ hours: $200 (from $50)
Out 48+ hours: $800 (from $400 for 48 and $750 for 7+days)

That harmonizes with US allowances

No changes for liquor and tobacco: limits stay the same and you have to be out 48+ hours.

I'm so glad I checked the form last night. Earlier in the month visiting Seattle I passed on purchases that would have put me over the old limits.

Really
06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Wheee...shopping trip! (as long as the price with WA sales tax is less than AB price with GST)