PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19

RobinA
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't do that...

Why waste the goodwill at your office because USFSA is once again saying "no matter what fans will come" (In spite of attendance at last year's event that showed me "no one is here" LOL!)

Honestly, I was so "underwhelmed" with 2011 that I can't imagine taking vacation or spending money to travel to this again unless it's REALLY close. The problem with the "first event" is that those skaters just weren't ready... lots of sloppy skating IMHO

Really. I've been saving some time just in case SA is somewhere I can get to, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and just make plans to do other things. Let's see, Assateague in June or the possibility of SA in October???

berthesghost
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
But I know a lot of people who can't wait until June to make travel arrangements, get time off work, etc.:lol:
Can't or won't?

Rob
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Really. I've been saving some time just in case SA is somewhere I can get to, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and just make plans to do other things. Let's see, Assateague in June or the possibility of SA in October???

Assateague!!!!! I am on the truck beach every Saturday all summer (unless the wind is from the west and the flies attack) so PM me if you are there.

CoyoteChris
03-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Cripes. There must not be any takers.
I have to admit I dont understand why folks stay away in droves from SkateAmerica even for free. Take SA Ontario CA. Nice venue, close hotels and restaurants....warm weather.....practices were free and open to the public and no one from LA showed up.....I talked with the restaurant help and they didnt know what was going on, so maybe someone figures the advertisment isnt worth it, but no one from the many skating clubs showing up?
Contrast that with Worlds, London, were we have to fight for good seats 13 months out...and contrast that with Worlds, Nice, where the place was 3/4 empty for the pairs short.

I must not know anything about marketing....I would have thought a bit of advertising to come watch the stars for free at practice might have brought in a few folk that would see how neat this sport is and might have bought some tickets....
I suppose the LA papers and news shows couldnt be bothered....skating is so "last century" to them, I guess....

manhn
03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
It's not like Everett was that long ago, and that was well attended. I had to actually sit at my paid seat the entire event. Just have it in Everett for ten years straight.

And it doesn't seem that there is a shortage of cities bidding for US Nats. Would it be that hard to require that any bid cities had to have hosted a SA within a certain # years or will host a SA within a certain # of years?

talulabell
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I have to admit I dont understand why folks stay away in droves from SkateAmerica even for free. Take SA Ontario CA. Nice venue, close hotels and restaurants....warm weather.....practices were free and open to the public and no one from LA showed up.....I talked with the restaurant help and they didnt know what was going on, so maybe someone figures the advertisment isnt worth it, but no one from the many skating clubs showing up?
Contrast that with Worlds, London, were we have to fight for good seats 13 months out...and contrast that with Worlds, Nice, where the place was 3/4 empty for the pairs short.

I must not know anything about marketing....I would have thought a bit of advertising to come watch the stars for free at practice might have brought in a few folk that would see how neat this sport is and might have bought some tickets....
I suppose the LA papers and news shows couldnt be bothered....skating is so "last century" to them, I guess....

That's the very problem... Someone is dropping the ball, marketing wise. As said above, Everett was well attended, and the local businesses were well aware the event was going on. Many had signs or posters in their window, the outlet mall offered a discount if you mentioned you were at SA. Lake Placid was the same, everyone knew SA was going on and was excited about the crowds.

It shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that you have to work with the community and the local chamber of commerce to build awareness and excitement.

Here in Nice, while certainly not the model, I saw a sign the moment I got off the plane. The Tram has signs on it, even the local tv guide has it on the cover. That's more awareness than at most SA's I've been to (except WA state events).

RobinA
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
:lol:
Can't or won't?

Both, I'd guess. I know people who are "can't." I'm a possible won't. I'm passing up things I could do in order to save the time...which would be fine if I knew it was going to be in a place I could go. As it is I'm not doing this or that because SA MIGHT be someplace I can get to. This is not creating good will. That, some other things I don't feel like debating C[cough] o[cough] P[cough], and the fact that I can't watch Worlds on TV is fading my interest in the sport. If I didn't love, love, love attending live events I would have bagged it for good by now. Maybe a five year hiatus in my fandom until things align a little more favorably...

Rob
03-30-2012, 02:07 PM
And it doesn't seem that there is a shortage of cities bidding for US Nats. Would it be that hard to require that any bid cities had to have hosted a SA within a certain # years or will host a SA within a certain # of years?

Yeah, like a test event! Although some of the cities that bid on Nats are a little larger than the desired size/hotel price range of SA -- like Boston.

Lake Placid is pretty much all about sports, and in particular, winter sports so I think it is easier to draw support there than nearly anywhere else. Everyone knows what's going on, and everyone is into it. I have never been to another place where the bartender in a pub told me about when Carlo Fassi used to come in.

Re vacations - my brother in law and his wife would love to take their daughter to SA because she loves skating. She's 8. Her mom is in a union and she has to declare her leave for the year by the end of January. If she wants to change, it might not be approved (unless it is something like a death in the family, illness - a different kind of leave). She works Saturday so she can't even go on the weekend. So she's out.

Carolla5501
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM

LA is NOT the market for that.

It's a LONG drive to watch "so so skating" during practices (where you might or might not see the star even do thier program....) There's a LOT of competetion for the entertainment dollar. Ontario is not really "on the beaten track"

Plus, what "Stars"? Once they lost Evan most folks couldn't have named anyone completing

Honeslty I don't see "free practices" leading to "tickets sold" more likely to "what's going on"

MacMadame
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
the fact that I can't watch Worlds on TV is fading my interest in the sport.
I think this interesting because another sport I'm involved in is completely booming right now. Yet they've never had any of their World Championships broadcast live on network tv. Or even cable. You can watch it live over the internet and there is an edited recap broadcast two months after the event. This state of affairs hasn't stopped interest in the sport from growing like wildfire though.

Sometimes I think it's what you are used to. We were used to seeing Worlds in broadcast tv. Now we have to turn to the internet for the most part and a lot of us (including me) haven't made the transition. But it that's all we'd ever known, I think it would be different.

She works Saturday so she can't even go on the weekend. So she's out.
Would she actually truly even want to attend? It doesn't seem like the right kind of event for people who have so many limits on their vacation time.

In fact, she'd be out no matter where it was held or when it was announced unless it was announced a year in advance, which I don't think has ever happened.

Rob
03-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Would she actually truly even want to attend? It doesn't seem like the right kind of event for people who have so many limits on their vacation time.

In fact, she'd be out no matter where it was held or when it was announced unless it was announced a year in advance, which I don't think has ever happened.

Yes, she does because her daughter wants to go and they can't afford Worlds 2013. And she'd only need to take 2-3 days for it - she gets 10 days vacation. SA was always announced over a year in advance until the last 5 years or so. We used to buy our tickets for the next year's SA at a booth at SA every year.

berthesghost
03-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Sometimes I think it's what you are used to. We were used to seeing Worlds in broadcast tv. Now we have to turn to the internet for the most part and a lot of us (including me) haven't made the transition. But it that's all we'd ever known, I think it would be different.I watch a lot of tv on my computer, in fact my latest tv is internet ready so I can watch online on tv, but it's just not the same. The biggest difference is that online skating telecast are $$$ and tv isn't/wasn't. Even when it was on cable only, at least most houses already had cable, so it wasn't an extra cost just for skating. Combine that with the shitty skating, and really, do I want to pay money to see people stumble and fall through generic cookie cutter programs? The sport is losing viewers like crazy, and it's not just because it's harder to follow.

MacMadame
03-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Combine that with the shitty skating, and really, do I want to pay money to see people stumble and fall through generic cookie cutter programs? The sport is losing viewers like crazy, and it's not just because it's harder to follow.

:rolleyes:

Southpaw
03-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Why not Skate Newark (http://www.prucenter.com/default.asp?prucenter=88&urlkeyword=Arena_Info)? They have a zamboni. :cool:

CoyoteChris
03-31-2012, 04:20 AM
It's a LONG drive to watch "so so skating" during practices (where you might or might not see the star even do thier program....) There's a LOT of competetion for the entertainment dollar. Ontario is not really "on the beaten track"

Plus, what "Stars"?
Honeslty I don't see "free practices" leading to "tickets sold" more likely to "what's going on"

Your points are well taken for the general public. But not for the skating club members and fans. They know who Davis and White are as well as Savchencho and Szolkowy, the Zhangs, Nathalie and Fabian...personally, I enjoy the heck out of practices...run throughs or not. Dont know what a long drive means....Google says on the off times, Santa Monica to Ontario is a bit over an hour....is that long? I will never forget the first time I saw a real competition and that started with a practice for me....I know I was hooked....