PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Louis
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Early season + altitude = disastrous performances. Bad for TV ($$$$). Bad for the desirability of the U.S. Grand Prix event v. others. Difficult and even hazardous to the skaters. At what other competition have we ever seen skaters getting oxygen, almost as a matter of routine?

There are plenty of pluses to Colorado Springs, like proximity to USFS headquarters, reasonable cost, and nice facilities, but I think it would be a bad idea to make it a permanent home of Skate America.

I do think there's some merit to putting Skate America on a three-year rotational schedule between two successful cities and then every third year a wild card. Some conferences I attend to do this. And I don't particularly care if any are on the East Coast, which frankly ends up being more expensive unless a flight somewhere else costs more than $500 due to the general cost of living / hotels here.

Sylvia
02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I would be very interesting in reading the bid package. ...
Anyone have a link to the bid?
See post #43 in this thread. :)

AnnM
02-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Seattle would be lovely. :40beers: :saint: :2faced:

I second this sentiment.

Rob
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
There are plenty of pluses to Colorado Springs, like proximity to USFS headquarters, reasonable cost, and nice facilities, but I think it would be a bad idea to make it a permanent home of Skate America.

I do think there's some merit to putting Skate America on a three-year rotational schedule between two successful cities and then every third year a wild card.

As much as it is against my interests, Everett sold serious tickets, as have other PacNW events, so there'd be a huge advantage in putting it somewhere up there on rotation if they want it. But I do think other locations would sell at least some tickets if the location were known and booth were up at Nationals or this year, at 4CC.

For me, it isn't about money, it is about time. I need to schedule vacation months in advance. First part of October is already filling with meetings and pretty soon I will have to decide whether to keep my calendar blocked and risk people snarking at me if I wind up not going anywhere. Reading, Hartford, Atl City, and Pittsburgh were ideal because I could work the morning and then drive/fly up and not take a whole day off. Reading was even better because I could drive back Sunday night and not take any part of Monday off. If it is somewhere like Lake Placid, I take the extra days off, but I combine it with stop overs to see friends in the NYC area. Always multitasking! However, my friend who likes to go to SA with me is deathly afraid of flying so she won't go unless she can drive from NYC.

CoyoteChris
02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
See post #43 in this thread. :)

Its not filled in!!!!!!:rofl:

MacMadame
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Its not filled in!!!!!!:rofl:
Did you really expect to see the actual bids? :rofl: :rofl:

Early season + altitude = disastrous performances. Bad for TV ($$$$). Bad for the desirability of the U.S. Grand Prix event v. others. Difficult and even hazardous to the skaters. At what other competition have we ever seen skaters getting oxygen, almost as a matter of routine?

I agree. And pointing this out isn't "whining". It's discussing logistics. We're just debating the pros and cons of various venues here.

I don't really see the need for such :drama: over it.

Rob
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I had a blast in reading. Go figure.

I desperately NEEEEEEED SA #3 in Reading because I still have not been to the Pagoda!!!! :drama::drama:

BelleBway
02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I desperately NEEEEEEED SA #3 in Reading because I still have not been to the Pagoda!!!! :drama::drama:

Neither have I; we'll have to get each other to go if Reading gets another SA :drama:

yes I know I could drive there any weekend... but... well, that's not going to happen unless there is a skating event there

Rob
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Last time it was pouring the day we were going to go. Remember we went to that restaurant that opened early for us! And I am not going just for the Pagoda either.

RobinA
02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I certainly wouldn't complain if SA were in Reading, but then it's 1 hour from my house. I'd be happy just to have SOMETHING, SA, Nationals, close enough that I can get to without taking major time off work. It's been awhile. Nationals I could get to spread over two weekends? I'd whine, but I'd go to at least part of it. Depending on the schedule. I looooved SA in Lake Placid, but I get the difficulty for some people.

Aimless
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
May I assume that one of you good folks will start a new thread with the location in the title when it is announced? I guess that's a safe bet.

genevieve
02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Admins will update the title here

Rob
03-24-2012, 02:52 AM
<vagueness> At US Nats someone told me that the SA 2012 location would be announced in March. </vagueness>

Well USFS, we are waiting. :yawn:

Debbie S
03-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Well USFS, we are waiting. :yawn:You got me all excited by bumping the thread up. :lol:

I suspect they haven't found a willing host yet. Please let it be somewhere in the Midwest or East and near a major airport.

genevieve
03-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Or better yet, in Spokane.

:saint: