PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Theatregirl1122
02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
And some skaters deal with medical conditions, such as asthma, that won't be improved by running.

azcalder
02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
The names you cited were all single skaters...There is a difference when a partner lifts you high above the ice. As for altitude training that's all well and good if you have the $$$ to spend. Most coaches have other students, so they can't just pick up and move to the mountains with their skater.

Sedge
02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
The names you cited were all single skaters...There is a difference when a partner lifts you high above the ice..

At the 3 Skate Americas in Colorado Spring, the pairs teams did seem to be the most affected.
Maxim Marinin very nearly needed oxygen at centre ice.
Yagudin was baffed as well.
More skaters took oxygen at those events that at 2012 4CC..my recall is that it was right in the kiss'n'cry

shan
02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
I was :yikes: watching the pairs particularly. I also don't think Having Nationals so close helped either. I guess skaters should have been altitude training before Nats?

Sparks
02-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Both Caroline and Dai said they trained by doing more than one runthrough at a time.

MacMadame
02-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Not everyone wants to be that trained by that point in the season though. It's pretty early in the greater scheme of things.

Jayar
02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Good God you people are a bunch of whiners. Nothing is going to satisfy you. If you are an elite athlete, you are TRAINED. Fitness levels differ in every sport, and figure skating is no different. Ashley might have had a burning in her lungs early in her program, but she completed it, and did quite well. It was because she is well trained. Altitude is going to expose those who aren't as trained as others, and there is nothing that they can do to hide that.

Bottom line is, unless Skate America is announced five years before it happens and its somewhere that east coasters can easily access, it's going to be a snarkapalooza. I know PLENTY of people who travel from the west coast to go to east coast events. If you want to go, save your money so that you can buy tickets. Fact is, there will not be any one single location that the majority of skating fans will like. Anybody remember Reading? It was EXACTLY what you all asked for, and there was still a lot of snark.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

berthesghost
02-21-2012, 02:14 AM
I had a blast in reading. Go figure.

AJ Skatefan
02-21-2012, 02:38 AM

Me too.

AJ Skatefan
02-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Jayar, you are very wise. Those very thoughts have been going through my head.

Really
02-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Jayar :respec:

Carolla5501
02-21-2012, 03:49 AM
Bottom line is, unless Skate America is announced five years before it happens and its somewhere that east coasters can easily access, it's going to be a snarkapalooza. I know PLENTY of people who travel from the west coast to go to east coast events. If you want to go, save your money so that you can buy tickets. Fact is, there will not be any one single location that the majority of skating fans will like. Anybody remember Reading? It was EXACTLY what you all asked for, and there was still a lot of snark.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

And I love how "it's all about the skaters". That appears to be more PC then whining "I want it in my backyard".

azcalder
02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Since when did expressing ones opinion become "whining"? Also, what's PC about "It's all about the skaters." Who else is it about? As proven by the empty arenas these past years, it's not about the audience.

kwanette
02-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Twice.

CoyoteChris
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
But if you read the bid package.... USFSA really wants a "sweetheart" deal for the arena and hotels. Not sure why they think they deserve it, because I reallly don't think they brought that much $$$ to Ontario this year.

It's probably getting harder and harder to find places (which must have a Hilton hotel no less) willing to meet the requirements of "we pay nothing and you give up any other revenue you might have from other events" Hmm....
I would be very interesting in reading the bid package. I was at Ontario and the locals (LA fans and skating folk) wouldnt even show up to practices for free. I would like to know who gets the bucks from the seat revenue. They should be the ones who pay for advertising the event locally.
Anyone have a link to the bid? The hotels must have done a good business along with the restaurants for the synchro competition that happened earlier there. Lots of skaters and families.
(fun filled fact from San Jose. The Arena Hotel staff asked us if there was an old people's convention in town as so many of us seasoned citizens were checking in.....so much for advertising.)