PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

TanithandBenFan
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Perhaps Skate America could be held two permanent venues that they use in alternate years: possibly Lake Placid one year and Colorado Springs the next. Then USFS could focus more energy on the event itself without worrying about the bid process. I wouldn't suggest this for US Nationals, but it could work for SA.

I'd suggest any two places but those. :shuffle: Lake Placid isn't convenient to reach, and after seeing the issues many skaters had in CO Springs (and some of the resulting sloppy skating), I don't think it's the best place to have an event.

UMBS Go Blue
02-19-2012, 03:26 AM
<vagueness> At US Nats someone told me that the SA 2012 location would be announced in March. </vagueness>Seattle would be lovely. :40beers: :saint: :2faced:

manhn
02-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Seattle is building a new ice arena, right? Perfect for a US Nats!

AJ Skatefan
02-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Seattle is building a new ice arena, right? Perfect for a US Nats!

Maybe. It's been proposed as an NBA/NHL arena. Some rich guy from San Francisco bought the land and wants to bring NBA and NHL teams in. It still needs financing from the city and that may or may not happen. If it did, Seattle would be perfect since Key Arena, which is only a couple of miles away from the proposed site also has ice, which would make in perfect for a practice arena.

AJ Skatefan
02-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Maybe. It's been proposed as an NBA/NHL arena. Some rich guy from San Francisco bought the land and wants to bring NBA and NHL teams in. It still needs financing from the city and that may or may not happen. If it did, Seattle would be perfect since Key Arena, which is only a couple of miles away from the proposed site also has ice, which would make in perfect for a practice arena.

Wait, I was thinking of Nationals. For SA the current Key Arena would be perfect for Skate America. As would a smaller arena we have out in Kent. When and if the new arena is built Seattle would be perfect for Nationals.

Carolla5501
02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Clubs do not take on any responsibility for SA. It is an ISU event and the USFSA is considered the LOC. SA could be anywhere that the USFSA can negotiate a deal with an arena and hotels and get the ISU to agree. The USFSA does work with local clubs to coordinate volunteers - generally, it's the judges and other USFSA bigwigs in an area that do most of the work on this. But SA is a relatively small event and doesn't need a large number of volunteers like a Nats or Worlds would.

But if you read the bid package.... USFSA really wants a "sweetheart" deal for the arena and hotels. Not sure why they think they deserve it, because I reallly don't think they brought that much $$$ to Ontario this year.

It's probably getting harder and harder to find places (which must have a Hilton hotel no less) willing to meet the requirements of "we pay nothing and you give up any other revenue you might have from other events" Hmm....

genevieve
02-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Wait, I was thinking of Nationals. For SA the current Key Arena would be perfect for Skate America. As would a smaller arena we have out in Kent. When and if the new arena is built Seattle would be perfect for Nationals.

ugh, not Kent :scream: if it can't be in Seattle proper, back up in Everett would be way better :drama:

But while we still don't have an NBA team using the Key during the winter, it WOULD be the perfect spot for SA, eys?? ;)

And a big fat NO to a permanent, alternating arrangement between LP and Co Springs. Co Springs was lovely, and I'd definitely go there again, but it was heartbreaking seeing the skaters gasping for air, and the quality of skating was definitely impacted. As for LP...might as well be on the moon for out of towners who don't drive.

jobelle
02-20-2012, 08:38 AM
And a big fat NO to a permanent, alternating arrangement between LP and Co Springs. Co Springs was lovely, and I'd definitely go there again, but it was heartbreaking seeing the skaters gasping for air, and the quality of skating was definitely impacted.

... and 4CC was middle of the season when skaters are a lot better conditioned and prepared. I can't imagine how bad it might be for some skaters if it was one of the first competitions out of the gate.

Has Colorado Springs ever hosted a Skate America before?

Jayar
02-20-2012, 08:43 AM
... and 4CC was middle of the season when skaters are a lot better conditioned and prepared. I can't imagine how bad it might be for some skaters if it was one of the first competitions out of the gate.

Has Colorado Springs ever hosted a Skate America before?

1999, 2000, 2001

azcalder
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
When I attended SA in Colorado Springs in 1999, 2000, 2001, and the GPF in 2003, it was pre COP. The lifts, spins, footwork etc. were less difficult than today. Watching the skaters at 4 C's last week was agonizing...almost scary with a few pairs/dance teams. While the actual venue in CS is great...hotels proximity to the arena and restaurants, the conditions for the skaters should be of prime importance. No more altitude, please....

Jayar
02-20-2012, 07:23 PM
When I attended SA in Colorado Springs in 1999, 2000, 2001, and the GPF in 2003, it was pre COP. The lifts, spins, footwork etc. were less difficult than today. Watching the skaters at 4 C's last week was agonizing...almost scary with a few pairs/dance teams. While the actual venue in CS is great...hotels proximity to the arena and restaurants, the conditions for the skaters should be of prime importance. No more altitude, please....

The athletes knew well in advance of the altitude. They could have trained for success. Some did.

Louis
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
The athletes knew well in advance of the altitude. They could have trained for success. Some did.

Easier said than done if you're the third entry from Uzbekistan or similar.

BittyBug
02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Easier said than done if you're the third entry from Uzbekistan or similar.Word. The ability to train for altitude is a luxury that not all skaters can afford.

peibeck
02-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Well the third ranked skater from Uzbekistan is probably not going to get a grand prix assignment.... :shuffle: That being said, of course not everyone is able to afford extra training no matter where they are, let alone finding someplace to train at altitude, or arriving early and paying extra hotel and training expenses.

I was rather amazed at how many skaters were not even trying their complete programs in the practices, however.

During the small medal ceremony, when Caroline Zhang was asked about the altitude bothering her, she said, "I don't even think about it." She basically told herself to believe it was the same altitude that she normally practices so it would not effect her performance and just to rely on her training. Moa said she felt well trainined and that the altitude did not really effect her either. Ashley said her lungs were burning after her first jump, but determination kept her going. :lol:

I do know a few of the most affected skaters (Nan Song, Alex Shibutani) already were sick coming into the competition. Having an upper respiratory problem added to the altitude was certainly not a good thing for them.

Jayar
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM

The skaters who were the most fit didn't struggle. Many of those who did admitted that they don't do run through after run through at home. I think it just comes down to a level of fitness. You have to stay hydrated, you have to push during the practices when you have them, and you have to focus. That's what many of the skaters who were able to deal with it said. It's not like the competition all of the sudden ended up in Colorado Springs. There was ample time before to work on fitness. Running is free.