PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2012

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

jtpc
10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Should be a really nice arena. The Windsor Family Credit Union Centre just opened a few years ago.

A site that provides arena reviews for the travelling hockey fan has a few pics of the arena and some information on it:

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/spitfires.htm

pat c
10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Even when flying on an Amerikan carrier to DTW (as opposed to flying AC to YQG)? Delta should have direct flights to DTW from YEG/YYC, or you can connect through ORD on American/United.

Oh you can get there. But sometimes to make the flights/connections work it requires more time, and time is money. :) Neither Lee or I live super close to airports, so we have to allow for driving time too. For instance, to make my flights work for Cdn Nats in London, the flight I had to take was 6 am, which means you go into the city a day early as the weather is too unpredictable to start driving say at 3 a.m. So, in that case, London was 2 extra days to make it work. It is what it is.

KatieC
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Windsor is nice, may even be doable.

Lynn226
10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Windsor operates a cross border bus, but it doesn't look like you can catch it at the airport in Detroit. Perhaps some locals FSUers will know about other options for those flying into Detroit.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/003929.asp

I miss attending Skate Canada. Maybe next year.

DaveRocks
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
:cheer:

A 2 and 1/2 hour drive! Looks good to me! :)

jenji124
10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
:cheer2: this works out well for me, it's drivable. I'll have to plan on this one since I was unable to make it to Mississauga

Really
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I just checked Expedia -- no direct flights from either Edmonton or Calgary, and all flights are over $800. Ain't gonna happen.

professordeb
10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
For me it depends on wether I go the US or Canadian way.
Go the US way and it means crossing the border at Sarnia/Port Huron and then again at Detroit/Windsor. Shorter driving time -- about an hour from PH to Detroit but who know how long the wait may be on the bridges.
Go the Canadian way and it's 2 hours minimum.
If I don't have my mom still living with me, it *could* be doable.

Meredith
10-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I just checked Expedia -- no direct flights from either Edmonton or Calgary, and all flights are over $800. Ain't gonna happen.

So much for (me) kvetching about how difficult Lake Placid is to get to. :slinkaway

LadyNit
10-30-2011, 11:46 PM
awww. Happy for those who live close by or have an easy/cheap/short trip to the event. I'll have to wait until SC is in the west. It will be back at some point...and I'll be there in a flash. :cheer2:

manhn
10-31-2011, 04:37 AM
Not sure why Skate Canada would want Skate Canada and Worlds so close together. Won't that adversely affect the attendance numbers of both events? Unless the HST has dramatically improved the economy of Ontario, which they tried to sell to British Columbians.

So, I suppose Canadians will be really far away like Hamilton?

pat c
10-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Cynic. ;)

Maybe Edm or Calgary.

normie
10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow, 5 years in a row that Ontario will get to host Skate Canada. Perhaps, we should rename the event Skate Ontario... This is not a criticism of the host cities who I am sure have a done a wonderful job hosting the events.

I just wish other parts of the country would get a chance to host Skate Canada.

Fridge_Break
10-31-2011, 04:46 PM
So tempting to schedule a visit home in Michigan around this time! Any idea when tickets go on sale?

Rock2
10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
So tempting to schedule a visit home in Michigan around this time! Any idea when tickets go on sale?

They handed out a card in Mississauga with the date on it. Late Nov 2011. something like the 24th....ish...