PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Rachael in the San Jose paper (not Skate Canada centric)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

nubka
10-31-2011, 04:14 AM
An empire waist and long sleeves would help too.

ITA! :)

mag
10-31-2011, 05:06 AM
An empire waist with a short skirt creates a longer leg line. IMO the strapless, sweetheart necklines create a horizontal line that makes Rachael look wider and bulkier than she actually is. Alternately, she could go for the wrap-dress. That looks good on most women, regardless of body shape.

Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I do completely agree about the sweetheart neckline though. I think a lot of things done to "create a longer leg line" just end up looking like you are trying to create a longer leg line without really helping too much. IMHO darker tights - no alive person has that grey colour of skin - in a very sheer micro fiber that go into her boots would help her leg line more. (Mondor has a great line of performance dance tights.) Another problem I see with an empire waist is the neckline. Rachael doesn't have a particularly long neck and her shoulders are slightly rounded. The scooped neck that traditionally goes with the empire waist is not going to help her neckline at all. I'm wondering if you could do a deep V line that cuts down through a well fitted empire waist .... hmm I'll have to think about that a bit.

Now before people get their knickers in a twist, I'm not suggesting there is any wrong with Rachael. IMHO she is a very attractive woman. I like to think I'm fairly attractive, but there are still colours and lines that I don't wear because they aren't flattering on me. I'm looking at this more from a What Not To Wear angle. Kind of an academic exercise because I highly doubt Rachael has the time to read here anyway.

IceAlisa
10-31-2011, 05:13 AM
I also think a handkerchief hem or some other kind of uneven hem would be good. She needs to elongate and to slim down her line--her current dresses do the opposite. I also think she should try black. Blondes look great in black IMO.

Also, a lot of people don't like her current haircut, which I don't mind but if I were to recommend a hairstyle, I'd go back to this: http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0/I/H/-/-/FlattKC-low.jpg

Imagine this hair, a black dress with long sleeves, either a deep V or empire waist, gently uneven hemline, some strategically placed sparkles, clever, classy make up and we'd have a brand new Rachael.

Gawd, I love make-overs. :P

mag
10-31-2011, 05:17 AM
A handkerchief hem might work well. I love them and convinced my dd to try one on. She has long skinny legs and it made her look like a stork! Really not great! I think black would work provided there was lots of sparkle.

Anita18
10-31-2011, 05:48 AM
Wow. Of course, it's always reported that she's very smart but I always view reputed celebrity smarts with a grain of salt. Good for her. Every part of 'computational mathematical engineering' sounds like something I would not enjoy taking as a class.
It's Stanford. My sister went there and ended up taking TWO senior seminars while only a sophomore. :lol: That is how they roll.

aren't her parents engineers? for some reason I imagine that Rachael grew up with math and science bandied about the house like family lore.
My parents were both engineers and it only turned me off it because my dad would try to help us with basic algebra homework by bringing up calculus. :shuffle: Neither my sister nor I are engineers.

Does Stanford even let students use AP credit for required coursework? I got a 5 on the lit/composition AP test many years ago. My small private liberal arts college gave me three hours of credit then proceeded to still make me take all the required English courses for the major. In every area, they would stick three hours on your transcript, but they didn't let you skip coursework because of it. My alma mater is a strong school regionally and slightly selective, but not on the level of Stanford. So it wouldn't surprise me if any AP credit she earned merely got slapped on her transcript as hours and she still has to do coursework. If they accept it at all.
I don't think they do. I went to a small liberal arts college (which is very well-ranked, although not as renowned as the Ivies, Caltech, or Stanford) and we weren't allowed to use AP credits for required coursework. It only counted as "hours" but I think most of us still ended up taking a full courseload all 16 semesters anyway. :P

Rachael is a very smart and a very ambitious young woman. I have nothing but admiration for someone attempting a task as challenging as attending an elite university full time, taking very challenging courses and attempting to compete on elite level. That takes guts to even try.

However, even smart people make mistakes. I was willing to believe that it's possible because Rachael seems so incredibly determined, although I had doubts. It appears, the experiment is not working as expected. Question is, what has Rachael learned from the SC experience, as she said she did? What exactly was the lesson?

Far more gifted skaters, like Kwan for instance had tried the college/elite skating thing. And Kwan had oodles more of natural talent. She also had common sense, as she knew that she could always go to college but she could not always skate. So college went on the back burner. And look at MK now--one of the most accomplished skating careers in history and a budding career in diplomacy, just like she wanted. She has it all by being smart about timing and not spreading herself thin.

As far as skating goes, Rachael's only natural talent was her fighting spirit and perseverance. What does she have to offer the sport at this point of her career? And how realistic are her expectations of a medal in Sochi, no less, while being a full time bio-engineering student at Stanford, no less? This is a skater who usually has a hard time getting to an international podium when clean. What gives?

If she were to stay competitive, she'd have to either postpone or minimize Stanford and rework her skating, her basics, her conditioning, carriage (which means a lot of ballet lessons) and last but not least, her packaging. All of this takes total commitment, meaning full time.

She is an intelligent and determined young woman but I wonder what decision, if any, will she make now. It seems obvious to the most casual observer that a decision is in order.
Completely agree. Knowing my sister and her fellow Stanford grads (read: headstrong and stubborn :lol: ), it will likely take some time for Rachael to realize that she is physically unable to do it all, but I think she'll eventually come around. It's her choice, at this point.

olympic
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
I also think a handkerchief hem or some other kind of uneven hem would be good. She needs to elongate and to slim down her line--her current dresses do the opposite. I also think she should try black. Blondes look great in black IMO.

Also, a lot of people don't like her current haircut, which I don't mind but if I were to recommend a hairstyle, I'd go back to this: http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0/I/H/-/-/FlattKC-low.jpg

Imagine this hair, a black dress with long sleeves, either a deep V or empire waist, gently uneven hemline, some strategically placed sparkles, clever, classy make up and we'd have a brand new Rachael.

Gawd, I love make-overs. :P

Funny, my BF worked in fashion. I asked him about Flatt (He's a very casual fan who likes skating [far below the level of an FSUer ;) ] and knows who Flatt is). He said Flatt should stick to deep colors - black, navy blue, maybe even a deep burgundy would work, style her hair 'outward' a bit to balance her round face. I also think she'd do well with white boots.

Sasha'sSpins
10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
There's no reason why Rachael can't have a Stanford education after she gives up skating. Or frankly she's young enough (Look at Kostner) where maybe she could go back after college. What I don't know if she can do is both Stanford full time and full time competitive skating Well at the same time. Both require dedication hard work.

It is as the old saying goes-it's hard to serve two masters. Both require full or near full time dedication. Elite sports isn't usually a part time job.

Vagabond
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19216527Strange that Stanford never built an ice rink.

Why would Stanford build an ice rink? It's not like they have tons of elite ice skaters going there every year and the Redwood City rink is a 20 min. drive from campus.

The main reason why universities build ice rinks is to have a place for their ice hockey team to skate. As far as I know, there isn't an NCAA ice hockey team west of the Rocky Mountains.

IceAlisa
10-31-2011, 05:19 PM
The main reason why universities build ice rinks is to have a place for their ice hockey team to skate. As far as I know, there isn't an NCAA ice hockey team west of the Rocky Mountains.

Yes, it's a peeve of mine. Mini Ice plays hockey and that's only going to be attractive to schools on the East Coast. :drama:

victoriaheidi
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, it's a peeve of mine. Mini Ice plays hockey and that's only going to be attractive to schools on the East Coast. :drama:

:( The sister who's going with me to Nats is sad about this, too (she's a hockey enthusiast), but she's gotten super-active in our school's hockey program and writes about it for our paper.

Aside: our school has a cheer squad for the ice hockey team. The squad is all figure skaters. :)

IceAlisa
10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Aside: our school has a cheer squad for the ice hockey team. The squad is all figure skaters. :)

:cheer2::shizuka1: :cheer2:

Cheylana
10-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree Rachael could look really stunning in a black dress with long sleeves, but I don't think it would go with either of her programs this year. EOE suggests something pastel, and Firebird practically mandates red (unless she wants to go for the Evan Lysacek "grilled bird" look!)

mag
10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I have just watched Rachael's SP from SC. I must say there was way more energy in it than in Mirai's. She obviously really loves to skate and is enjoying performing for the crowd. I also like the colour of her dress, but I think it would be more flattering in a different cut.

I hope she can work out what she really wants and in 10 years is happy with her decisions. It is a tough spot to be in.

nubka
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
I have just watched Rachael's SP from SC. I must say there was way more energy in it than in Mirai's. She obviously really loves to skate and is enjoying performing for the crowd. I also like the colour of her dress, but I think it would be more flattering in a different cut.

I hope she can work out what she really wants and in 10 years is happy with her decisions. It is a tough spot to be in.

:) :) :) I hope she can, too.

Louise
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM

That is ALL kinds of awesome! :)