PDA

View Full Version : ISU homologates the first quadruple Lutz jump

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Ziggy
10-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Very cool news indeed. :hat1: Now will we have history with a 4loop or 4flip this season as well??

The only skaters we know of that have attempted or planned to attempt those jumps in competition are:

Kevin Reynolds - it was planned at some competition(s) last season but he never went for it

Daisuke Takahashi - attempted it at 2010 Worlds but landed forwards

Somewhere in Virginia Michael Weiss is unearthing sekret videos of quads at club competitions..... :wuzrobbed

Poor Michael. :(

Michael doesn't have to dig more deeply than the first video listed on a Google "Michael Weiss quad lutz" search. This quad Lutz (www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FJ5QGbvgg) from USNs 1998 was a beaut except for the 2-footed landing.

Two-footed jumps don't count. :P

The first successful triple axel by a woman (NHK 1988) was immaculate and spectacular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEqxigccU1s

WOW!

That was HUGE! :cheer:

aemeraldrainc
10-27-2011, 01:41 AM
The first successful triple axel by a woman (NHK 1988) was immaculate and spectacular.

Could someone please tell me what jump she did at @ 1:44?
I thought it was interesting how she had her arms by her side and not across her chest.
Thanks.

Beefcake
10-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Two-footed jumps don't count. :P
Pffft, which I acknowledged in my post ("rules of the day", and such"), smartazz. ;)

WOW!

That was HUGE! :cheer:
Not to hijack Mroz's thread even more :shuffle:, but there was absolutely nothing else going on with Midori's skating, was there? The original Miss Jumping Bean Airplane Arms.

gkelly
10-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Could someone please tell me what jump she did at @ 1:44?
I thought it was interesting how she had her arms by her side and not across her chest.
Thanks.

Double toe loop.

Louise
10-27-2011, 02:09 AM

As was the first in the Olympics (1992 Albertville). The first world championship attempt (1989 Paris) was slightly over-rotated.

Wow, thank you for posting this, I have never seen this. But I believe Midori did land a 3axel at an earlier NHK? 1985 maybe?

And let me say FECK YOU to whoever wants to win the vocabulary prize this autumn. I was a state Scripps competitor. And winner. No the nationals thing happened after I graduated and there was no ESPN covering it. But I was at least socially astute enough to not throw in F@CK words when any other reasonable word would suffice. Seriously, I can spell homologate, but I had to look it up. It is total passive aggression. Are we not sure that Rebecca Sealfon is behind this?

And to ante up my anger, let me show you the first home-schooled Scripps winner. Not socially awkward at all, right?...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd4lZwshUpE

So yeah, this whole new check Websters thing has me pissed off. It is passive or active aggression to intelligent people. Homologate. I could spell that in a second, but WTH? I will never use it in a sentence, it is sooooooo pretentious.

midori
10-27-2011, 02:24 AM
The ISU release has been changed and now it does not the word homologate any longer.
Also they added the part they had confirmed it by a video on youtube.

Aussie Willy
10-27-2011, 02:28 AM
The ISU release has been changed and now it does not the word homologate any longer.
Also they added the part they had confirmed it by a video on youtube.
Awww I am disappointed. We were all getting a better vocabulary out of this.

Although the title of thread made me think of gay lutzes.

casken
10-27-2011, 02:42 AM
I wonder is someone wasn't pleased that the choice of wording is getting more attention that the actual jump. :lol:

Vagabond
10-27-2011, 02:48 AM
I was a state Scripps competitor. And winner. No the nationals thing happened after I graduated and there was no ESPN covering it. But I was at least socially astute enough to not throw in F@CK words when any other reasonable word would suffice. Seriously, I can spell homologate

Lay off the rodomontades, please. :lynch:

RFOS
10-27-2011, 03:07 AM
The only skaters we know of that have attempted or planned to attempt those jumps in competition are:

Kevin Reynolds - it was planned at some competition(s) last season but he never went for it

Daisuke Takahashi - attempted it at 2010 Worlds but landed forwards

Wasn't Roman Serov working on a 4loop also? I'm not sure whether he attempted it in competition. And this is going way back, but I thought I remembered reading in PBP that Sergei Telenkov of Latvia tried a 4loop at Euros one year. I don't think my brain would just fabricate that, but maybe someone else can confirm or deny. ;)

seaner00
10-27-2011, 03:19 AM
As Scott Hamilton would say, HISTORY!!! :cheer2:

Congrats to Brandon for accomplishing such a feat! :encore:

It's also so nice to know that Men's singles skating is moving forward technically, unlike the Women who seem to have moved backwards..

Sylvia
10-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111026&content_id=25797386&vkey=ice_news

@SarahandDrew tweeted a quote earlier today from Mroz:

"Getting to be the first to accomplish the quad lutz is an honor. Itís great to prove to myself what I can do.... it's been a long time since a new jump has been done."

neptune
10-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Why homologate and not ratify?

Because it's a whole lot more fun to homologate than to ratify. Don't believe me? Just try it--you'll see. :)

essence_of_soy
10-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Although the title of thread made me think of gay lutzes.

Bwahahahaha.

RumbleFish
10-27-2011, 04:49 AM
I thought for a moment that Mroz was outed by the ISU. :duh:
It's sort of relieving to see even native English speakers don't know what it is to homologate.