PDA

View Full Version : ISU homologates the first quadruple Lutz jump

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Louis
10-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm going to use the word "homologate" in a work conversation and see what the reactions are :lol: Boss, have you homologated my expense report? :lol: I'll probably get sent to Employee Health for a sanity check.

Congrats to Brandon! I remember sitting with a few people at 2009 Nationals who were griping about Mroz's short program placement because they thought he had done a double lutz and refused to believe it was a triple. He has always rotated so quickly on that jump.

Somewhere in Virginia Michael Weiss is unearthing sekret videos of quads at club competitions..... :wuzrobbed

JAF
10-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Did anyone else have to look up the word "homologate" :shuffle:
I did because I'm thinking Brandon did something illegal or sinful. :shuffle: :lol:

Jenna
10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
CONGRATS to him. :)

What an amazing achievement, and I'm so glad there is sufficient video evidence for posterity.

toddlj
10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Congratulations, Brandon!

I hope, despite some posts here, that this will not generate a controversy requring the addition of "Homolo-gate" to the other "-gate" terms (Watergate, etc.). :P

:rofl: The controversy surrounding Homolgate would be called
Homologate-gate.

genevieve
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Somewhere in Virginia Michael Weiss is unearthing sekret videos of quads at club competitions..... :wuzrobbed
((((Mikey Weiss))))

Beefcake
10-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Michael doesn't have to dig more deeply than the first video listed on a Google "Michael Weiss quad lutz" search. This quad Lutz (www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FJ5QGbvgg) from USNs 1998 was a beaut except for the 2-footed landing.

:mitchell:
Sir Weiss

I joke, mostly. It is what it is. Rules of the day, and such.

:cheer: to Brandon. Great accomplishment.

Tinami Amori
10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
The more quads the better!

Омолигация (omoligation) is a commonly used word in Russia in Import/Export procedures relevant to various technologies, automobile industry and Manufactured Products Quality Control. It means “certification”, “authentication”, “accreditation”, “standard conformance”.

Lanna
10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
:cheer2: MROZ!

Theatregirl1122
10-26-2011, 11:59 PM
:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: Brandon! As one of Brandon's official Ubers, this is awesome! (The other one is also very excited but internetless. ;))

CantALoop
10-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Congratulations! :cheer: Brandon's record jump was smooth as butter, and frankly, a lot better quality than other firsts (e.g. Vern Taylor's 3A, Midori Ito's first international 3A, Miki Ando's 4S<, Irina Slutskaya's 3Lz-3Lo<<<)

This could change club competitions too: more skaters going for record-breaking elements and more competitions being recorded for posterity - both of which are great for the sport IMO!

(Also, count me in the tally of people who learned a new word today)

matti
10-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Congratulations! :cheer: Brandon's record jump was smooth as butter, and frankly, a lot better quality than other firsts (e.g. Vern Taylor's 3A, Midori Ito's first international 3A, Miki Ando's 4S<, Irina Slutskaya's 3Lz-3Lo<<<)

The first successful triple axel by a woman (NHK 1988) was immaculate and spectacular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEqxigccU1s

As was the first successful one in the Olympics (1992 Albertville). Midori's first world championship attempt (1989 Paris) was slightly over-rotated.

jlai
10-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Okay so if I refuse to ratify something, will I say "heterologate"?

Iceman
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Well there's a word that I have never seen or heard used in English. Homologates / homologation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologation) Perhaps it's from French or Italian and was just 'anglicized' through translation?

Congratulations to Brandon.

medieval Latin . Obviously from the isu, as the USFSA would never!!!!! use a word with "homo" in it lol

CantALoop
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
The first successful triple axel by a woman (NHK 1988) was immaculate and spectacular. As was the first in the Olympics (1992 Albertville). The first world championship attempt (1989 Paris) was slightly over-rotated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEqxigccU1s

Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of :) I knew it was a first and that while she hung onto the landing, there was no question about any lack of rotation or errors with the free leg.

Vagabond
10-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Okay so if I refuse to ratify something, will I say "heterologate"?

If you equivocate, then it's "bilogate."