caseyedwards
10-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Jumpin Joe

VarBar
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Great job, Brandon, it's a most beautiful quad lutz.:kickass:

luna_skater
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank thank thank you for posting the Webster's defiinition. I was about to go there and look it up. I am happy for Mroz, but how many others made history in a non-ISU event that will never get credit? Mroz cannot be the FIRST man EVER to land this in a club comp or other non-homologated competition.

I mean, the record books are BS. Kurt Browning is first quad, with a badly three turn out of it? Holy shite I can't even remember who did it first at Euros in 1985? I know he has a son named Ice or Blade or Knife or Death. God I need to look it up. He was Czech. I refuse to look it up. It's like Piotr, Alexandr. Bronze in Sarajevo. Sabovic? Alexandr Sabovkic? He landed the first quad AFAIC.

You're thinking of Jozef Sabovcik. His son's name is Blade.

ItalianFan
10-26-2011, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Mevrouw;3338046]Well there's a word that I have never seen or heard used in English. Homologates / homologation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologation) Perhaps it's from French or Italian and was just 'anglicized' through translation?

There is an Italian term "omolgare" , which means to ratify as satisfying certain conditions. For life jackets in boats, for example, they must meet certain safety criteria.

Louise
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
You're thinking of Jozef Sabovcik. His son's name is Blade.

Thank you. I refused to look it up. If I can't remember the medalists since I was born I'm going insane. Yes, Jozef Sabovcik. It doesn't look right, though. I studied Czech. Hmm. Well we know who we are talking about. Thanks, Louise.

Skittl1321
10-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Mroz cannot be the FIRST man EVER to land this in a club comp or other non-homologated competition.

I feel badly for people who did these things before technology allowed the ISU to review and homologate :) elements in non-ISU competitions, but it kind of makes me think of the science/math world.

It doesn't matter who DOES it first, it matters who publishes it first.

Will the first skater who does this in an ISU event get special recognition?

MacMadame
10-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Did anyone else have to look up the word "homologate" :shuffle:

I figured it out from context. ;)

Ziggy
10-26-2011, 08:31 PM
As for the record books in the past, there were no official video recordings made, so there were no grounds to submit such a request for ratification.

Mroz cannot be the FIRST man EVER to land this in a club comp or other non-homologated competition.

He is. Or do you know of any others?

Weiss landed 4lutzes in practice but as far as I can recall, he always two-footed or fell on them in competition.

Did Jialang Wu land any during Chinese national competitions?

I mean, the record books are BS. Kurt Browning is first quad, with a badly three turn out of it?

Why is it BS? If he stayed on one-foot, it's fair game. Jumps have different air position, free leg position, security and length of the landing.

I'd just require the jump to be on one foot (with no touchdowns) and with full rotation (less than 1/4 underrotated).

viennese
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I learned a new word, too.

AznSkateFan
10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Very cool news indeed. :hat1: Now will we have history with a 4loop or 4flip this season as well??

VALuvsMKwan
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Congratulations, Brandon!

I hope, despite some posts here, that this will not generate a controversy requring the addition of "Homolo-gate" to the other "-gate" terms (Watergate, etc.). :P

snoopysnake
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
The rep level programmers must add a rep level using the word "homologate."

Kudos to Brandon!:)

mmscfdcsu
10-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Did anyone else have to look up the word "homologate" :shuffle:

Yes! :lol:

genevieve
10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I anticipate much discussion about the homologation of this quad during US coverage of NHK and Rostelecom. I can already hear Terry Gannon asking Scott to explain how the homologation process works :lol:

julieann
10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I anticipate much discussion about the homologation of this quad during US coverage of NHK and Rostelecom. I can already hear Terry Gannon asking Scott to explain how the homologation process works :lol:

:rofl: