PDA

View Full Version : ISU homologates the first quadruple Lutz jump

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

skatefan
10-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Well there's a word that I have never seen or heard used in English.
Neither have I - weird choice :lol: I wonder why they didn't use ratified.
Well done Brandon!

luenatic
10-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Here is the definition

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homologate

= sanction, allow; especially : to approve or confirm officially

Origin of HOMOLOGATE
Medieval Latin homologatus, past participle of homologare to agree, from Greek homologein, from homologos
First Known Use: 1593

Vash01
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
I had never heard this word before, and honestly, I was a little afraid to look it up. I was not sure if the word actually existed in English, but according to Dictionary.com it has a very simple meaning- Confirm, Ratify.:)

Nice to learn a new word! I may use it in my Toastmasters club for 'word of the day', thanks to ISU.

Congratulations to Brandon Mroz! This is an awesome achievement. His name will be forever etched in figure skating history. That's exciting.

Ziggy
10-26-2011, 05:37 PM
So does this mean that club comps and local comps that aren't on the ISU calendar are ISU-sanctioned events now?

Even though they don't have international judging panels?

As for the subject or ratifying elements, the fact IJS requires all the performances to be recorded for the judges and technical panel means there's a way of verifying them.

But the above questions stand.

swtblueeyes
10-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Well there's a word that I have never seen or heard used in English. Homologates / homologation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologation) Perhaps it's from French or Italian and was just 'anglicized' through translation?

It is indeed a word I often hear or use in french, but don't know about italian ;)

oleada
10-26-2011, 05:58 PM
It's used commonly enough in Spanish.

Nomad
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
It is indeed a word I often hear or use in french, but don't know about italian ;)

I've seen "omologare" used in a sports context, so I would say yes, at least in print. Never heard anyone say it in conversation, though.

pingu
10-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Yep we have it too :) To homologate = omologare

caseyedwards
10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Good for him. It looks like he is also keeping at trying them and rotating them and landing them.

Vagabond
10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

It's used commonly enough in Spanish.

Yep we have it too :) To homologate = omologare

Thank you all for homologating that. :)

Sylvia
10-26-2011, 06:13 PM
So does this mean that club comps and local comps that aren't on the ISU calendar are ISU-sanctioned events now?

Even though they don't have international judging panels?
The ISU wording states that Mroz's 4Lz was ratified at the "Colorado Springs Invitational, a U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned event." I don't take that to mean that any country's club or local competitions are ISU-sanctioned.

barbk
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Always good to learn a new word. And congrats to Brandon -- it seems like a long, long time ago that Michael Weiss was attempting it and getting close.

Ziggy
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
The ISU wording states that Mroz's 4Lz was ratified at the "Colorado Springs Invitational, a U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned event." I don't take that to mean that any country's club or local competitions are ISU-sanctioned.

Ahhhh it's my bad. I read "an ISU sanctioned event" and it says "USFS sanctioned event".

Sorry, makes sense now.

Garden Kitty
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Congrats to Brandon!

Louise
10-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Thank thank thank you for posting the Webster's defiinition. I was about to go there and look it up. I am happy for Mroz, but how many others made history in a non-ISU event that will never get credit? Mroz cannot be the FIRST man EVER to land this in a club comp or other non-homologated competition.

I mean, the record books are BS. Kurt Browning is first quad, with a badly three turn out of it? Holy shite I can't even remember who did it first at Euros in 1985? I know he has a son named Ice or Blade or Knife or Death. God I need to look it up. He was Czech. I refuse to look it up. It's like Piotr, Alexandr. Bronze in Sarajevo. Sabovic? Alexandr Sabovkic? He landed the first quad AFAIC.