PDA

View Full Version : ISU homologates the first quadruple Lutz jump

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

Ziggy
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh, I agree that it was the only sensible thing to do :)

Especially because it was soooo good.

Yeah, it has to be pointed out that it's quite remarkable how solid and secure the landing was. :)

paskatefan
10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Did anyone else have to look up the word "homologate" :shuffle:

You bet! :lol:

Yup!

Why homologate and not ratify? Do I ask an English major or an attorney? ;)

In either case, congratulations!

Congrats to Brandon! Hope he has a great season! :encore:

Skittl1321
10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Although I don't know what swizzles are :shuffle:

It is one of the most basic skating moves that kids learn. Your start with our heels together, push your feet out and bring them back in so your toes "kiss".

Whenever I do PBP I like to point out swizzles in programs because it cracks me up that seniors do them. My coach won't let me have them in my program (I'm like the absolute lowest level) because "you aren't a basic skills skater anymore".

Theatregirl1122 I agree about Adam. I'd love to throw him a parade, but Brandon did land it first. And I'm really excited he is getting mainstream coverage for it.

skatefan
10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
lol, thanks - I recognise that description - we call them 'lemons' :)

FunnyBut
10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Congrats to Brandon, so well deserved , the jump was a beauty.

And thanks , ISU, for expanding my vocabulary

antmanb
10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
:lol: True

Although I don't know what swizzles are :shuffle:

ETA: I replied without reading the rest of the thread! Someone else answered before me!

It's lemons to you and me, but I think they are called swizzles in north america - one of the first things you learn in learn to skate lessons where you have your feet together, bend your knees draw both skates out to the side and then back in together going forwards or backwards so that you draw a lemon on the ice.

skatingfanfun
10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
While the quad lutz he did was great and all, I don't think it should have been ratified (...homologated.) because:

b) The ISU is basing their decision on YOUTUBE footage. Low framerate, low quality footage. Was this Youtube video the same footage available to the tech panel and judges when reviewing the jump? (ie: same camera angle?)

c) I disagree with the ratification of jumps done at non-ISU sanctioned competitions. It's one thing to do the jump in practice, another to do it in a small competition with no pressure (and I'm presuming an all US tech and judging panel). It's completely different to do it in front of the scrutiny of an entire ISU tech and judging panel (who might have judged the GOE more accordingly with the rules?...) not to mention the added pressure of doing it where there are stakes involved.

In any case, I don't think its fair to the other skaters who are trying to be the first for this achievement - it's unlikely anyone knew that the ISU would start ratifying jumps based on Youtube videos of small summer comps before this.

I have nothing against Brandon, but the above is exactly what I've been thinking.

I think that there should be two parallel ratify system, one ISU, one for other competitions, so that nobody gets ignored for his/her achievement but people who do it under more pressure get recognized too.

Bev Johnston
10-28-2011, 04:20 PM
When asked by NPR's Melissa Block, "Some people say competitive figure skating is too much about jumps and not enough about the aesthetics. Do you think they have a point? Brandon's response:

"That is a very good question. There's a lot of controversy about that. I think that it takes two... skating is about the other stuff, and about maybe the art... I think for guys skating, it is a little more athletic than women's [skating]. People watch the female skaters, and they're very pretty on the ice and that's more for the art. But I think for men, at least for me, I love the jumps and being an athlete doing the tricks."

While this disturbed me, I am also bothered that Brandon doesn't seem to know why a lutz is difficult for most skaters, or that all jumps, save for ONE, take off from a backward edge.

Skittl1321
10-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah- that was really really odd. He started off saying "it has a different entrance", which it does, but then the whole backwards take off thing, was just a weird statement.

Maybe he is thinking about how you prepare to go into most toe loops and flips by skating forward, and then turn into the entry, but the lutz, you prepare on the back edge. (But most people prepare for salchows and loops by holding a back edge too, and an axel really, even though it takes off forward). So yeah- it was just a weird statement.

I did like that he clarifyied "for me" that he thinks men's skating should be about jumps and tricks. It sounds like he recognizes for others it is about more than that. I mean he trains with Chan right? He's got tricks and artistry, so Mroz surely sees male skaters who believe in the artistry on a regular basis.

Bev Johnston
10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah- that was really really odd. He started off saying "it has a different entrance", which it does, but then the whole backwards take off thing, was just a weird statement.

Actually, I'm willing to cut Brandon slack on this whole interview. He's still really young and I'm sure he's not used to being interviewed on a scale such as this. He doesn't yet have his "talking points" all worked out, lol.

Skittl1321
10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
But he's been on the world team before- hasn't he?

Does USFS not do media training with their Team USA skaters? I mean, knowing he was going to be interviewed on NPR, his coach could have easily prepared him for that question- I think it was pretty basic, how could it not be asked what makes the lutz difficult?

(But I thought he actually sounded pretty good. He spoke well, and I'm sure he was nervous.)

Aussie Willy
10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
We call them swizzles in Australia.

LLOS
10-28-2011, 08:32 PM
He is. Or do you know of any others?

Weiss landed 4lutzes in practice but as far as I can recall, he always two-footed or fell on them in competition.

Did Jialang Wu land any during Chinese national competitions?
I don't know any who landed a quad lutz in competition clean. I think Plushenko wasn't mentioned in this thread, he tried it in Cup of Russia 2001 but fell.

I think it doesn't matter in WHICH competition a quad is landed, as long as it is a competition.

b) The ISU is basing their decision on YOUTUBE footage. Low framerate, low quality footage. Was this Youtube video the same footage available to the tech panel and judges when reviewing the jump? (ie: same camera angle?)

The quality is good enogh to see the jump is clean BUT we don't see the whole program, it could be a practice video after all, he doesn't even wear a costume...can this really be a proof that this is from a competition? If ISU just decides just about this video.

Skittl1321
10-28-2011, 08:42 PM
I think it doesn't matter in WHICH competition a quad is landed, as long as it is a competition.
But what about all the first triples? Other first quads? Surely those were done in non-ISU competitions first, even in the era of video tape, where evidence could have been sent in.

If ISU just decides just about this video.

I think they also decided based on statements from the technical panel and judges. It was not solely on the video. The video just confirms that what they said was true. And he's wearing a costume. I've never seen someone practice in a button-up collared shirt...

MacMadame
10-29-2011, 02:00 AM
lol, thanks - I recognise that description - we call them 'lemons' :)
Some coaches here in the US call them "Fishes" especially when teaching really young kids.