PDA

View Full Version : Should Halloween be moved from the 31rst...to the last Sat.?

Pages : [1] 2

FSWer
10-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Ok.I saw this on the News,and thought I'd post it for opinions. It is....Do you think Halloween (meaning Trick-or-Treating) should be moved from the 31rst,to the last Sat. in Oct.? Here's what I heard. To summerize...they said that Parents are concerned about kids not being able to get Homework done. As well as it always on a School Night. Though some people feel that it should stay were it is. I myself feel that, hey...leave the Holidays alone!! The Holidays come only once a year,and it's the 1 Night the kids can dress up and enjoy themselves. Also,it is what makes Haloween...Halloween. It has been on the 31rst forever with no problem...why change it? Also Parents have a curfew anyway. Any other thoughts?

oleada
10-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Well, I do and don't.
Halloween is the best party night of the year and it sucks that it's on a Monday. I have no time to drink myself silly while wearing lingerie and animal ears and make out with guys wearing gorilla masks on Monday night! Silly work and all :rolleyes: :drama:

On the other hand, Halloween on any day other than the 31st seems wrong.

(kids? Hallowen's for kids?)

Kasey
10-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Nevada day is also on Oct 31, so usually Halloween is held around here on the weekend night closest to the actual holiday.

cygnus
10-26-2011, 05:10 AM
No changes. Hallowe'en is All Hallows' Eve- any other night is just wrong. Besides- most of the kids are finished before 8 o'clock around here- the little ones start coming before 7.

I don't see the problem for one night of the year.

marbri
10-26-2011, 05:11 AM
We´re having our party on the 29th. Teachers need to just not assign homework or schedule any tests or projects due on November 1st. Problems solved :D

AliasJohnDoe
10-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. It is the one holiday I actually enjoy celebrating. And it's not for "just kids". I know many adults who enjoy it more than kids.

Any other day except the 31st would be a desecration of the holiday. It would be like changing some religious holiday like Christmas to the last Saturday of the month in December instead of the 25th.

I say "NO!!!" to any other day except the 31st of October.

Vash01
10-26-2011, 06:33 AM
I like Oct. 31st for Halloween. The parties can take place before or after. I like giving candies to kids on Oct. 31st.

Chele615
10-26-2011, 11:19 AM
This year, our students have no school on 11/1 because of voting day in Massachusetts. It is a teacher's professional development day. In Mass, I think some of the towns will have the trick or treating on the actual day and some will pick one of the weekend nights for a specified period of time.

I have a random question and I might sound really stupid......but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.

my little pony
10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.

i think it is a witches' mark :scream:

boo!

FigureSpins
10-26-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a random question and I might sound really stupid......but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.
It's a contraction for "Hallow Evening" ... November 1st was once called "Hallows Day," so the evening before is "Hallowe'en." Wikipedia says it's Olde English. In US english, we use "eve" instead of "e'en."

It's called "Mischief Night" or "Hell's Night" in some parts of the US and the delinquents turn into vandals and firebugs (Brilliant :rolleyes:) The NYC Village Halloween Parade is a great public celebration http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

To answer the original question, Halloween should stay on 10/31 every year, imo.

Skittl1321
10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
No.

I've lived in a few cities that have moved trick or treating (you can only trick or treat during approved hours here, but they are always on the 31st), but the holiday has roots other than trick or treating. Moving it would make no sense.

I also wouldn't support Saturday. The best Halloweens were always on Friday when I was a kid.

cygnus
10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

That's the way I learned it in school many years ago- it was even on spelling tests.

I have always spelled it that way. Figurespins is right on the reasons- that's what we were taught.

JoyCo
10-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I lived in a town that moved trick or treating to Saturday during two daylight hours and kept that rule for at least 20 years. It was hard to get into the mood even as a candy giver. The local hospital would x-ray kids' booty, too, in case needles and pins were hidden in the candy.

Jot the Dot Dot
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I'd say move it to January 25th, have everyone dress up in kilts, and hand out Haggis instead of candy.

Bev Johnston
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
It's called "Mischief Night" or "Hell's Night" in some parts of the US and the delinquents turn into vandals and firebugs (Brilliant :rolleyes:) The NYC Village Halloween Parade is a great public celebration http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

To answer the original question, Halloween should stay on 10/31 every year, imo.

I've heard that Boy Scouts of America started the whole trick or treating thing to give kids something to do on Halloween besides vandalize their towns. I also heard that the whole razor-blades-in-apples thing was an urban legend.

I only hand out candy on the real Halloween. Anyone who comes to my house for candy on any day besides Oct. 31 will get nothing. It's okay to have parties before the actual day, but move trick or treating to another day? That's just wrong.