PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts no US getting only one judge at Worlds

Pages : [1] 2

manleywoman
10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Jimmie Santee put up a blog post about the news that the US is getting just one judge at Worlds (http://skatepsa.blogspot.com/2011/10/is-it-fair.html?spref=fb). Wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

flowerpower
10-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Jimmie Santee put up a blog post about the news that the US is getting just one judge at Worlds (http://skatepsa.blogspot.com/2011/10/is-it-fair.html?spref=fb). Wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

Canada had no judges at all at Worlds 2010.

It happens. At least you got one.

DaveRocks
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
My thoughts? The US isn't the centre of the universe. (And I live there.)

Skittl1321
10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I still am baffled as to why the judges represent countries, and not the ISU (doesn't the technical controller represent the ISU?)

I guess I don't understand the system at all- how come some countries have no judges, some have 1, other have 4? Why is it not just all countries have 1 or 2? Why is it so uneven.

I don't care so much that the US has 1 judge, but that it seems completely wacky for any country. (How did Canada have no judges in 2010? And presumably others had 3 or 4?)

orbitz
10-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Is this Jimmie Santee in the photograh the ex-skater and brother of David? Yikes. Gosh, It sucks getting old, LOL.

I don't think it matter overall anymore that the U.S. only has one judge or even no judge at Worlds.

emason
10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
My thoughts? The US isn't the centre of the universe. (And I live there.)

This. We really need to learn to share the wealth. I also don't care how many spots we have for skaters; other countries are deserving of spots also.

Skittl1321
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I also don't care how many spots we have for skaters; other countries are deserving of spots also.

The only reason I care about spots is it makes me sad when good skaters have to stay home. I realize World's is about representing all the federations, but I feel like it should be a chance for all the best skaters in the world to compete against each other. A third American lady is going to do a lot better than some of the low ranking skaters, but she won't get to go. I feel the same way when the US has 5 amazing ladies, and only 3 get to go. Or Japan. Or any other powerhouse.

There is no competition where the ALL of the top skaters compete against each other.

toddlj
10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
The fact that this is even a discussion implies that we assume judges will have a national bias. I would hope if the US skaters do their best, it won't matter what country the judges are from.

Morry Stillwell
10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Skittl1321;3335760]I still am baffled as to why the judges represent countries, and not the ISU (doesn't the technical controller represent the ISU?) ?)[/QUOTE

Championship (World) Judges do represent the ISU. When promoted to Championship status they are listed as ISU regarless of citizenship.

Skittl1321
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for clarifying. The judges at SA were introduced as representing their country. Only the controllers was announced as representing the ISU. I figured this was the same.

Frau Muller
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
There are lots of ISU countries. USA can't expect to have judges in all disciplines at all years.

skatemommy
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
The fact that some countries have 4 judges and the US only 1 does seem old school ISU politics. I don't believe IJS has solved national bias and deal making. It has been going on far too long.

peibeck
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I think there was only one US judge the year Worlds were in LA also. As others have said, it does happen.

I think Japan only got one judge selected for the Vancouver Olympics, if I remember correctly.

But with the new scoring system there is no gaurantee that even if a judge is on the panel this her/his marks will count anyway.

julieann
10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
How are judges selected normally?

I just want the best judges for the job, if they best doesn't come from the USA; fine by me.

Morry Stillwell
10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for clarifying. The judges at SA were introduced as representing their country. Only the controllers was announced as representing the ISU. I figured this was the same.

At Skate America the Judges were International Judges, not Championship judges, and are contoled by their county Federation. When a judge is promoted to Championship Judge, that person is no longer subject to Federation control, other than they must remain eligible under Federation and ISU Rules.