PDA

View Full Version : Does SlimFast work?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gazpacho
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
It's fall again, which means that the weight has fallen off the trees and onto my belly.

Happens every year. Nothing has worked except waiting until the following spring/summer, when it naturally comes down to an acceptable level.

I've done Weight Watchers a few times. It worked but made me miserable and hungry and food-obsessed the whole time.

Was thinking about Nutri-System, but the food sounds unappetizing and, with all those preservatives and fillers, pretty unhealthy. Maybe it's low in calories, but it also sounds like it's low in health.

This year I'm thinking about trying SlimFast.

What have your experiences been?

Angelskates
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Sure it works. But it's incredibly unhealthy, and like the majority of these things, it is not a permanent solution..

There is no fast, easy and healthy way to lose weight.

Japanfan
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I've done Weight Watchers a few times. It worked but made me miserable and hungry and food-obsessed the whole time.

Was thinking about Nutri-System, but the food sounds unappetizing and, with all those preservatives and fillers, pretty unhealthy. Maybe it's low in calories, but it also sounds like it's low in health.

This year I'm thinking about trying SlimFast. What have your experiences been?

I've enjoyed some of their energy/sweet bar type treats.

So far as I know with SlimFast you drink the product for breakfast and lunch, then have a calorie-limited dinner. Probably you'll be miserable and hungry and food-obsessed the whole time. :(

The whole thing about a diet is for it to really work, it has to be a way of life, not something you do for a limited period of time.

If I had any answers, I'd give them but I don't. But I figure you need to
find ways to eat that are both satisfying and low in calories. For example, I recently made a tomato soup with olive oil, chicken stock and loads of garlic. I pureed it in the food processor and ate it with freshly grated reggiano parmesan. It was heavenly and much lower in calories than the meals Mr. Japanfan usually makes. But it does have fat it in it - I think it is a mistake to cut fat out if you are trying to lose weight because the brain is hard-wired for it and abstaining leads to overeating.

Basically, I'm trying to include more vegetable based meals in my diet. Today I bought fresh artichokes and will cook them for the first time.

floskate
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
As one British female comedian once said, 'a nutritious shake for breakfast, another for lunch and by teatime you'll be stealing chocolate from children in playgrounds!!'

Seriously though this is one of the unhealthiest 'diets' you could possibly do. I know many who have tried it and while results can be fast, the fixation on food and permanent hunger means they are utterly miserable and eventually cave in to pigging out and end up putting twice as much back on again.

Please don't go there!

Anita18
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I've enjoyed some of their energy/sweet bar type treats.

So far as I know with SlimFast you drink the product for breakfast and lunch, then have a calorie-limited dinner. Probably you'll be miserable and hungry and food-obsessed the whole time. :(
Bleck, that doesn't sound fun at all!

It's fall again, which means that the weight has fallen off the trees and onto my belly.

Happens every year. Nothing has worked except waiting until the following spring/summer, when it naturally comes down to an acceptable level.
Hm, that's interesting. Do you know why that is? Is your diet and exercise regimen different in the spring/summer? Would there be any way to transfer some of what you do into the rest of the year?

Sorry if that an obvious question. :o

Sk8Kate
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I drink Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast quite often. I've never been able to replace both breakfast AND lunch with the shakes, but find that replacing one meal a day is manageable, especially since I'm not a big breakfast eater. They have a lot of vitamins and nutrients and I feel like it's a decent way to start a day. Probably a lot better for me than a bacon-egg-and-cheese sandwich!

Aceon6
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Carnation Instant Breakfast is cheaper and, to me, tastes better. You can control the calorie count by the type of milk you use. Throw in a bowl of unsweetened steel cut oatmeal, and I can get through till dinner.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
^ Wait, so you skip lunch?

Angelskates
10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Why not just drink a smoothie?

soxxy
10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Slim Fast didn't do much for me. I drank a can....then I ate. :shuffle:

VIETgrlTerifa
10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Slim Fast didn't do much for me. I drank a can....then I ate. :shuffle:

So you got fries with that shake? ;)

danceronice
10-24-2011, 03:36 PM
It'll get weight off until your body has time to switch into 'starvation' mode, on the assumption you're being deprived and it needs to hoard stores of fat.

Nutri-System works by controlling calories. There's nothing special about the food except it's pre-portioned. You can accomplish the same thing by limiting your portions yourself.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
The best thing to do is seriously change what you eat (if you tend to eat food that is considered pretty unhealthy) and count calories. Find out how many calories you should eat a day, and stick to it (more or less). Also, doing cardio for at least 30 minutes 3 times a week will help a lot coupled with the calorie counting. After a while, you look forward to workouts and topping yourself.

With calorie counting, I think you should start off being meticulous in actually reporting the food you eat and adding up the calories, but if you do it for so long you become, as the OP said, "food-obsessed." I think being strict about it in the beginning gives you an idea about how many calories are in the food you usually eat and after a while, you won't need to record everything you eat anymore because you can just mentally know how much you're consuming.

Gazpacho, it seems like you don't really have a problem with weight except in the fall/winter, is that correct? Is it because of Holiday food and/or being inside and sedentary due to the colder weather?

soxxy
10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
So you got fries with that shake? ;)

:rofl:
I ate what I was going to eat anyway, but I did eat less of it because the shake is thick. Hardly the point. :slinkaway

Habs
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I drink Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast quite often. I've never been able to replace both breakfast AND lunch with the shakes, but find that replacing one meal a day is manageable, especially since I'm not a big breakfast eater. They have a lot of vitamins and nutrients and I feel like it's a decent way to start a day. Probably a lot better for me than a bacon-egg-and-cheese sandwich!

I sometimes have a Slim-Fast for breakfast too. I use the powder as a base for a fruit smoothie and then add the milk, a banana and maybe a handful of sliced, frozen peaches. It's quite good and is a satisfying breakfast.

I'm not a breakfast eater at all - I'm rarely hungry before 10 a.m. - so I figure it's a good way to get some vitamins and nutrients first thing in the morning.