PDA

View Full Version : Most silly name of a skating element?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Poggi
10-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I've been wondering. In Hungarian, as toe-loop until very recently was called in a literal translation "stabbed Rittberger", and anyone over the age of 30 has most probably heard it in TV sometime and found it hilarious.

So whenever anyone mentions figure skating in a non-fan community, someone will of course make the same, not too funny joke: "Two dead men are laying on the ice, what's that? / A double stabbed Rittberger"

Are there any similar annoying stupidities in your language? It'd feel much better to know we are not alone in our misery :)

Aussie Willy
10-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Wally of course.

caseyedwards
10-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Twizzle- sounds like swizzle of swizzle stick

Aussie Willy
10-23-2011, 09:43 AM
No wait - the silliest name was the Mike Pike. That someone could take a Teapot or Shoot the Duck (rather silly names themselves) and then try to claim credit for it by naming it after themselves, then to have it named in a slow mo of an international skating competition, really did take the cake.

orbitz
10-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Not that I was a fan of the Mike Pike, but no one was doing a Shoot-the-duck in the Fratianne sit-spin position, which Mike did. I mean the "Hamill Camel" was really just a flying camel sinking down into a sit spin.

Mafke
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I would say a majority of skating terms sound silly in english, it's just that english speakers are used to silly sounding names so they don't dwell on how silly they are. Speakers of other languages assume the names don't sound dumb in English when they do.

lutz or flutz
salchow (usually pronounced sow cow where sow = female pig)
shoot the duck
death spiral (hardly looks very dangerous)
camel spin
axel (sounds like axle on a car)
toe walley (what the? note: walley sounds like wally, once a popular boys name that now sounds kind of silly)
twizzle

silly names all

paskatefan
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
shoot the duck (I like ducks, so I don't like the violent nature of the name). I have nothing against the skating position, though.

RumbleFish
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Butt spin.
Then again, it isn't a real skating term.
What is it supposed to be called?

orbitz
10-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Butt spin.

"I'm ready for a good time" spin?

RumbleFish
10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
"I'm ready for a good time" spin?
:lol:

crystalice
10-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Figure skating.

Figure is usually stative. :confused:

Polymer Bob
10-23-2011, 02:54 PM
hydrant position

Skittl1321
10-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Choctaw and Mohawk have always baffled me. All the other turns seem to be named after the shape they draw (3-turn, bracket, loop, okay twizzle isn't...)

As for Salchow- it's named after a person, so I don't think that's any weirder than "Besti Squat" (which just sounds awful, IMO). But I do have the cutest shirt that has a cow and pig in ice skates...

Pierre
10-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Butt spin.

A-frame spin/A-spin/Sandhu

skatemommy
10-23-2011, 03:46 PM
half loop. Still rotates a full rotation.