PDA

View Full Version : Weaver and Poje their time is now

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rock2
04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I have mixed feelings. W/P had much better programs this year than last and have boosted their musical interpretation a lot. They have gotten their levels up and are maxing them out so they are good there. Plus they are so freakin hot, how can you not root for 'em?

But two things concern me:
1. I don't find them to be as adept on the blade as some other pairs in terms of handling complex footwork and choreo. Their edges are deep but they seem to be careful skaters to me. Their twizzles are careful and slow compared to others. They have compensated by upping their musical interpretation.
2. The top 8 or so entries are bunching up in the marks and I'm not 100% sure why. The devil in me thinks it's the gradual process to create a changing of the guard in dance. I say that diplomatically. I don't think we'll see 3 NA teams on the podium in Sochi so something's going to give. I just have a feeling that W/P will be passed and likely by a Russian team if not also by others.

judgejudy27
04-03-2012, 11:50 PM
2. The top 8 or so entries are bunching up in the marks and I'm not 100% sure why. The devil in me thinks it's the gradual process to create a changing of the guard in dance. I say that diplomatically. I don't think we'll see 3 NA teams on the podium in Sochi so something's going to give. I just have a feeling that W/P will be passed and likely by a Russian team if not also by others.

I actually think it is Davis & White they are preparing to give the shaft too. I could see D&W experience what Belbin & Agosto did at their 2nd Olympics. I see W&P and 1 or 2 Russian teams passing them by Sochi.

Proustable
04-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I have mixed feelings. W/P had much better programs this year than last and have boosted their musical interpretation a lot. They have gotten their levels up and are maxing them out so they are good there. Plus they are so freakin hot, how can you not root for 'em?

But two things concern me:
1. I don't find them to be as adept on the blade as some other pairs in terms of handling complex footwork and choreo. Their edges are deep but they seem to be careful skaters to me. Their twizzles are careful and slow compared to others. They have compensated by upping their musical interpretation.

1. I tend to agree.

2. This is a really fascinating discussion. I think that might be the intent (prevent a North American sweep) but bunching up the marks actually might accomplish the opposite - vis-a-vis levels becoming a heck of a lot more determinative.

rvi5
04-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Do you think there's any chance W/P would stay on until after Sochi? Not sure I've really heard them discuss their 'plan' but it would be nice if they did. At least for a one or two more seasons to get that World Title.As I recall, their big dream had been to attend the Olympics. That is why they were very dissappointed when they didn't make the Vancouver 2010 team. According to this recent interview, they appear to have updated their dreams to include winning Olympics and World medals, and touring with Stars on Ice. It seems they are getting the CSOI goal this year. Barring injury, I seriously doubt there is any chance they would choose to skip Sochi.

http://fskating.com/2012/03/kaitlyn-weaver-andrew-poje-our-dreams-include-winning-world-and-olympic-medal.html

elle123
04-04-2012, 02:45 AM
http://fskating.com/2012/03/kaitlyn-weaver-andrew-poje-our-dreams-include-winning-world-and-olympic-medal.html

Andrew: "I am currently working towards a degree in Biomedical science"

Good looking, talented AND smart - can he be anymore swoon-worthy?

judgejudy27
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
They already allowed a NA sweep with the Shibutanis of all people so I think they would definitely allow it to happen again. I think they were willing to have it happen in Vancouver except they didnt like Belbin & Agosto much by that point, and felt even subpar Domnina & Shabalin were better.

smartblade
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Luckily, Weaver and Poje are under the "own the podium" program... they are getting financial assistance from the government to help them excel further. (virtue/moir, duhamel/radford, and chan are also under otp)

Bournekraatzfan
04-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't find them to be as adept on the blade as some other pairs in terms of handling complex footwork and choreo. Their edges are deep but they seem to be careful skaters to me. Their twizzles are careful and slow compared to others. They have compensated by upping their musical interpretation.

I agree, and this is why I thought P&B definitely deserved the bronze. To me, the difference in their skating skills was clear, and this affects many aspects of the total score. But, I also wonder how much of a confidence boost this season will give them, given how consistent they were and how much attention/respect they received from the skating community. They seem to be building their confidence, and once that is there, skaters are better able to push themselves and explore their skills, imo. They are young, hard-working, and have a great training environment. I'd like to think anything is possible:)

Yukari Lepisto
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
I actually think it is Davis & White they are preparing to give the shaft too. I could see D&W experience what Belbin & Agosto did at their 2nd Olympics. I see W&P and 1 or 2 Russian teams passing them by Sochi.

I'm not saying DW won't get shafted. But it won't be W/P that'll pass D/W simply because V/M's still not retired yet. But a russian team pass them by is a lot more plausible. It's ice dancing. Unless there's major mistakes by top teams. It's like D/W waited longer to get to the top than V/M because B/A was there for many more years than D/L.

Although in my heart, I really really really want W/P to get on the podium next year and get to the top in 2014. I can dream haha!

martyross
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
With russian team you mean I-K, right? Next year with worlds in canada, i don't think judges will have the nerve to place them ahead of WP. And i guess PB are not retiring, so a repeat of 5th is likely. The thing is, they could surpass WP..politically, but what about PB, who are far more experienced and established? Maybe the key will be to see if they retire,leaving the door open for the russians. Doesn't Russia want a medal in each discipline?

judgejudy27
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Rightly or wrongly there seems to be a fair amount of negative press surrounding P/B lately. I think with no more major events in France, Worlds in Canada, and Olympics in Russia, it leaves the door wide open for them to be dumped well down should they continue, especialy as the younger teams will keep improving and they likely are peaked.

I also dont think the existence of V/M prevents W/P from the possability of passing D/W or moving up. I dont think the judges have any problem with 2 Canadian medalists (or 3 NA medalists) if the teams are good enough. They already allowed 3 NA medalists and 2 American medalists at the 2011 Worlds and that was with an IMHO rather blah juniorish team.

Yukari Lepisto
04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Rightly or wrongly there seems to be a fair amount of negative press surrounding P/B lately. I think with no more major events in France, Worlds in Canada, and Olympics in Russia, it leaves the door wide open for them to be dumped well down should they continue, especialy as the younger teams will keep improving and they likely are peaked.

I also dont think the existence of V/M prevents W/P from the possability of passing D/W or moving up. I dont think the judges have any problem with 2 Canadian medalists (or 3 NA medalists) if the teams are good enough. They already allowed 3 NA medalists and 2 American medalists at the 2011 Worlds and that was with an IMHO rather blah juniorish team.

That happened only because of the major mistakes by the other teams supposedly to be ahead of Shibutanis. And i said earlier that unless major mistakes happen, that won't happen.

As far as P/B, i totally agree that they are likely to be dumped. IMO, the podium at sochi will be 1 canadian team, 1 american team, and 1 russian team again, but the placement is unsure.

judgejudy27
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
That happened only because of the major mistakes by the other teams supposedly to be ahead of Shibutanis. And i said earlier that unless major mistakes happen, that won't happen.

As far as P/B, i totally agree that they are likely to be dumped. IMO, the podium at sochi will be 1 canadian team, 1 american team, and 1 russian team again, but the placement is unsure.

P/B were the only ones to make a major mistake at the 2011 Worlds. They certainly didnt have to give the Shibutanis the bronze, they could have easily given it to Weaver & Poje, a Russian team, or even still to Pechalat & Bourzat considering their PCS and protocal were far beyond the others behind at that point and they managed to beat those others I mentioned anyway. They still chose to go with the Shibutanis.

If they are willing to do that for the Shibutanis I have no doubt they would be willing to do that for Weaver & Poje, be it putting 2 Canadian teams on the podium, putting 3 NA teams on the podium, or even dropping Davis & White.

Yukari Lepisto
04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
^^ Why not dropping V/M??

And I'm sure the judges all learned by now, as we can tell from this year's worlds. won't be two teams from the same country on the podium.

judgejudy27
04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
^^ Why not dropping V/M??

Since they are really the best team and the hardest to drop. Plus they are the judges favorite team too. Unless they make a major mistake like the GP final or are coming off an injury like Worlds last year they wont lose anytime again until their likely retirement after the 2014 season IMHO. That or they make the bold move to leave the Sphilband camp and it backfires Sphilband and Zoueva start to politik hard against them.

With Worlds being in Ontario next year I will be shocked if Weaver & Poje dont win atleast the bronze, barring a major error. Whether that means a NA sweep or not it will happen IMO.