PDA

View Full Version : Weaver and Poje their time is now

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Proustable
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I think Weaver/Poje are fantastic, but I also think Pechalat/Bourzat are the better team overall and have the better programmes this season.

Weaver/Poje will definitely get a great reaction from the crowd in Nice even though they'll be vying with Pechalat/Bourzat for bronze.

1. Agreed that W/P are fantastic
2. Agreed that P/B are better
3. I'd say that P/B have the better FD, but collectively prefer W/P's two programs
4. Also agreed, but I won't deny that I'm rooting for the hometown pair to get the medal. The massive improvement in performance quality from W/P will be enough of a reward, imo.

NorthernDancers
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Excellent points!

There are good things happening with D/L in Montreal, W/L in Vancouver, L/R in Toronto, not to mention Islam and MacIntosh; of all these L/R are the most successful right now, but Carol Lane has built her school up over many years and I doubt she'd want to yield any control.

Scott Moir once said that he and Patrice Lauzon had talked on the CSOI tour about their desire for a new dance training centre in Canada. Maybe some day they will join forces. That would be very interesting.

I think the concept of working together to build dance in Canada is a FABULOUS idea. Each of these coaches have their own strengths and weaknesses. W/L are very good at the regime of training, and instilling speed and mental toughness. They are missing some depth in their programs, and a focus on quality core technique. D/L tend to put together teams that grow over a longer period of time, and focus more on fundamentals. Their programs have more content and are more mature than W/L. Their teams could use more drive and speed. L/R teams have good showmanship and lots of heart. They put together some very interesting programs over the years. My favourite is the Crone/Poirier SD from a couple of years ago (Charlie Chaplin ish). Technique is passable, but there are some definite posture issues, and they need more variety. Islam puts together some solid teams with great programs, but there seems to be some issues with injury with a lot of their teams. Is there something about the training regime? MacIntosh is legendary for his technique training - soft knees, posture, line, edge, and so on - one of the reasons why Virtue/Moir are that much better than Davis/White, and why Poje has such great lines. His teams seem to lack a little in speed and mental toughness.

I don't think parents will want to ship their kids across the country for a whole season. But what if there was a fund to support top Novice, most of Junior and all Senior dancers in Canada, and teams would be able to get support if they want it on the areas they are most lacking from other coaches? Their current coaches would remain their base coaches, but they would get extra help on what they lack. Some of those lovely young BC teams at Junior and Senior could spend a month or 2 in the Summer with MacIntosh to understand lines and edges and quality steps. Some of L/R teams should go there for a week or 2 off and on just to understand what everyone is talking about regarding posture. MacIntosh team (I think I only count 1 right now, which seems unbelievable to me) could spend some time in BC for speed and mental toughness. Islam team (I only count 1 senior team there right now, which is also unbelievable to me) could spend some time with both D/L and W/L. Some of L/R teams would benefit from D/L depth and maturity of skating, maybe getting some choreography there, along with more technique. Some of the Quebec teams who are doing fun programs would benefit a great deal from L/R ideas. They really have the corner on these types of programs.

Some of these rinks are so close to each other - Quebec, Barrie, Scarboro, Waterloo - that it shouldn't be a problem to even combine and hold a Senior or a Junior camp from time to time on a weekend to work through these things. Every other weekend a different location, or one central location in the middle. Again, this is the sort of thing Skate Canada or corporate sponsors should embrace and fund. The younger coaches can bring their new ideas and new strategies, and the more experienced coaches like Islam, L/R, and MacIntosh can bring their depth of knowledge and experience. W/L are a little far away, but perhaps there is extra funding to support the distance, and they fly in once a month or so. It would be fantastic for the skaters, it would help all the coaches, and it would definitely raise the quality of skating at competitions right from the beginning of the season. this could pay dividends with Junior and Senior international competitions.

There is lots of support for the the top 5 athletes at Senior, and some at Junior. This program would be about helping build a solid, stable funnel of athletes to be ready to fill the spots when the top teams retire and move on. For some of the top teams (I'm thinking about Paul/Islam), it would provide them meaningful assistance early on, and allow them to remain training in their home clubs throughout the season. They will get what they are missing, have others to train with on a regular basis, and be more competition ready when they hit the international stage. For the young kids, it will allow them to continue to live at home or near their homes, but still get the full 360 degree training that a group of great coaches would provide. It's a winning situation for athletes, coaches, and Skate Canada.

Debrah
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
NorthernDancers: I love this "fund" idea and the travelling to get what might be missing from other coaches who specailize is that area of expertise for short-term dance clinics!

Obviously one has to stop old thinking where one can't admit to a weakness for fear of losing one's competitive advantage. There has to be a team building spirit to allow for cross coaching, but it certainly can be done, esp at the junior levels for sure.

Actually, I think this idea might help ease fears the coaching staff might have of others poaching their skaters, since one in theory could now stay with the longtime coach with whom one has an established relationship AND still get the extra or specialized help one may need in order to progress in the sport, all without having to sever ties completely, or moving on to a new coaching situation to shore up what weaknesses may exist - a case where everybody in the Canada dance circle wins!

Rochelle
12-15-2011, 12:49 AM
A little off the current topic, but they tweeted today:

WeaverPoje (http://twitter.com/#!/WeaverPoje)
Currently taking new Exhibition program suggestions/ideas!!!

Tweet them your ideas if you have them. :)

jtpc
12-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Weaver/Poje were amazing at the GP Final. They were able to get level 4's on both Rhumba sequences in the SD and their FD was sensational. I think their FD is the epitome of the Performance/Execution and Interpretation PCS. Complete commitment and feeling. Wonderful to watch!

They'll be in the hunt with Pechalat/Bourzat at Worlds for bronze. In the FD I'd give Pechalat/Bourzat the nod in SS, and Weaver/Poje the nod in PE and IN. IMO political protocol dictates the French will receive PCS 8.50 and above, and while some individual judges may go with Weaver/Poje, past trends indicate the French receiving a higher PCS total...so for Kaitlyn and Andrew to place ahead of the French, my guess is it will have to be done on TES.

jl22aries
12-15-2011, 05:07 AM
I finally watched the gpf fd, and wow what a performance. The program keeps growing and growing until the end, it is so beautifully constructed, and what an emotional impact! I hope they earn a world medal at some point in their careers.

pingu
12-15-2011, 09:00 AM
A little off the current topic, but they tweeted today:

WeaverPoje (http://twitter.com/#!/WeaverPoje)
Currently taking new Exhibition program suggestions/ideas!!!

Tweet them your ideas if you have them. :)

I don't have twitter but last summer I saw the Cirque du Soleil's show "Totem" and there's a part where two trapezist are dancing on one trapeze on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Ia1k5gMp4) music (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oC1MVchEbk8#t=121s) you can see some parts of it), and I think it could be perfect for a tango program in ice dance.
Can please someone tweet it? Thanks :)

clarie
12-15-2011, 01:17 PM
I have a fondness for more contemporary music for exhibitions....two that come to mind, which are kind of sexy: "Let's give 'em Something to Talk About" and "Layla" (unplugged).

Pratfall
12-16-2011, 04:19 AM
;)I too like "Let's give them something to talk about. " I thought it would be good when everyone was complaining about her strap.

But if they want to really melt the ice , I suggest "I Ain't Never Loved a Man " ( the way that I love you )..Aretha Franklin.Wish I could tweet ..I'd fire that right off.:D

Of course ,It's probably too long for an ex..but this is the team that could really do a number on Slaughter on 10th Avenue. ( I know it's a chestnut,but I'm just sayin'...)

ETA..Oh,oh..now I can't stop myself..as long as I mentioned the Queen of Soul "Baby I love You" would be a lot of fun, with maybe a bit more back and forth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82b8YuKbVs&feature=related

Pass it on...

Bournekraatzfan
12-16-2011, 05:11 AM
I have a fondness for more contemporary music for exhibitions....two that come to mind, which are kind of sexy: "Let's give 'em Something to Talk About" and "Layla" (unplugged).

I would love it if they did "Layla." I hope you contact them with your suggestion. I always love their exhibition programs: you can tell they put a lot into them.

flowerpower
12-16-2011, 05:25 AM
I would love it if they did "Layla."

Yes, but the original song was so much better than the "unplugged" version, IMO. :D

clarie
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I would love it if they did "Layla." I hope you contact them with your suggestion. I always love their exhibition programs: you can tell they put a lot into them.

I would but I don't know how.....maybe they read this thread :). I like the unplugged version of Layla because it has somewhat of a "stripper" beat :D.

Debrah
12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
jtpc - apparently not, since they did actually beat P&B in FD TES, making me wonder why W&P are not being rewarded properly esp when they DO also skate lights out and still the performance execution mark thru PCS does not do a good job at reflecting at the very least, their special clearly superior effort in that area.

I think the Canadian audiences at the GPF were pretty fair, they always responded positively to well skated programs (No MATTER WHO WAS SKATING THEM, EVEN THE DIRECT COMPETITORS to the Canadian skater's as evidenced by the enthusiastic crowd reactions) so one can't say it was strictly because W&P were skating in Canada. It was apparent to the quite knowledgeable audience, that the French team just did not skate with their usual flair, or performance quality in the FD segment and the audience quite subdued response to them, reflected that, esp after being so completely captivated by W&P. It's not only Canadians that have been clapping and cheering for W&P, but audiences around the globe have been responding positively to their FD performances over the last 2 seasons...

Sahararainfall
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Two pics from SCI by Melanie Hoyt I think posted at skateontario.org

http://www.skateontario.org/wp-content/gallery/sci2011/hoyt-2011-1028-5438.jpg

http://www.skateontario.org/wp-content/gallery/sci2011/hoyt-2011-1030-1752.jpg

Athena
12-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm so excited to watch W/P this season, they brought up their A game at the GPF. I like both P/B and W/P, it's hard to decide whom I should root for for the world bronze medal next year, wish ISU could recognize the top 4 like US Nationals :).