PDA

View Full Version : Difficult or Effortless?

Pages : [1] 2 3

essence_of_soy
10-19-2011, 10:04 PM
A few years ago I attended an Australia versus China gymnastics meet, and the thing that struck me the most was, that while the Australians made everything look technically difficult, the Chinese made the same moves look effortless.

Both teams however, made for a spectacular evening of competition.

I'm wondering if the same applies to elite skaters.

Off the top of my head, Kristi Yamaguchi comes to mind. I remember seeing one of her best performances at the 1992 US Nationals in person, where, after landing 7 triples in the free, she barely broke a sweat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNs1esR0_Y

Proustable
10-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Making the hard look really easy: Grishuk/Platov.

zilam98
10-20-2011, 02:22 AM
gordeeva/grinkov were always praised for making everything look effortless despite the difficulty and the huge size difference. gordeeva herself is still praised for such. it takes a special strength and talent to make difficult things look easy.

l'etoile
10-20-2011, 04:26 AM
I agree with all above. For me Yuna Kim comes the closest to those great skaters mentioned. And let's face it. She's the only one to be praised for her effortlessness on ice by skating/non-skating media around the world in recent history of FS-hello, remember the olympics and worlds09? She absolutely qualifies for the list of skaters who make difficult things look so easy no matter what she does on the ice.

RumbleFish
10-20-2011, 05:33 AM
G&P, G&G, and Yuna Kim, what all these skaters mentioned above have in common is great skating skills. IMO, ability to create natural flow over the ice serves as a foudation for making all the moves effortless.

Triple Butz
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
G&P, G&G, and Yuna Kim, what all these skaters mentioned above have in common is great skating skills. IMO, ability to create natural flow over the ice serves as a foudation for making all the moves effortless.

Whenever I think of difficult moves looking "easy" I think of Kwan. She was the master of that, especially in her prime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FehcN5tiuo

"Ease of movement" was one of the criteria for high presentation marks in the old system, and I can't think of anyone who moved through her elements with more ease than Michelle.

briancoogaert
10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree, and Gordeeva&Grinkov were the first to come to my mind.
It's a question of lightness. Patrick Chan is now someone very special in that regard.

RumbleFish
10-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Whenever I think of difficult moves looking "easy" I think of Kwan. She was the master of that, especially in her prime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FehcN5tiuo

"Ease of movement" was one of the criteria for high presentation marks in the old system, and I can't think of anyone who moved through her elements with more ease than Michelle.

Just wonderful.
She has such an amazing ability to shape her skating talents into a wonderful package of a performance.

Whenever I watch her skate, I worry that I might get tired of it, but thankfully I never to.

kittyjake5
10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Michelle, Sasha, YuNa, Joannie, Laura, Caro and Mao especially her exhibitions. These ladies imo have great effortless flow across the ice and imo do not skate like they are connecting the dots.

miki88
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I should also add Lu Chen and Kurt Browning as skaters who made intricate choreography look effortless.

gk_891
10-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I would also mention Klimova & Ponomarenko. Their programs always had such an amazing range of steps, edges, handholds, etc but they were so smooth and effortless. The best example might be their famous 1987 OSP (Viennese Waltz) which was made into the Golden Waltz compulsory dance. Many ice dancers say that it's harder than an entire free dance.

sk9tingfan
10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
IMO, the "new" effortless pair are the Shibutanis. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain that effortlessness as they take on more difficult choreography and increased speed over time.

Artifice
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I think effortless skating is what I'm looking for when I watch a skater. The ease in the moves, the flowless technic are what make a skater interesting to watch. That way I feel the artistry better and that transcends the sport.
G&G, Yu Na Kim, G&P, K&P, Torvill & Dean also as well as Mao Asada and some other I forget, are all very "easy" to watch because they just skate like they breath.

skatesindreams
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
When skaters reach the level where their moves look "effortless"; the difficulty of what they do isn't always appreciated.

Vash01
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Plushenko's quad toe always looked effortless, so the difficulty was underestimated.

I would add Yuka Sato's footwork and B&S's connecting moves (too many to list here) looked so effortless that they were considered easy.