PDA

View Full Version : Medical Professionals in Europe

Twilight1
10-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I am trying to find abstracts on pharmacological treatment for substance addiction. (Specifically Alcohol, Cocaine and Opiods)

I have accessed Pub Med, NAADAC and also WHO but I am hoping to read about the trends currently seen in Europe and was hoping someone (someones) can direct me in the right direction?

Specifically, my research is on alternatives to the use of the standard benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan and Librium in alcohol withdrawal and also various pharmaceuticals used in the treatment of opiod dependence (methadone, suboxone etc) and cocaine/ crack addiction.

Also, did/ does anyone have any experience with the use of anticonvulsants in the pharamacological treatment of alcohol withdrawal (Ie: Tegretol (carbamazepine), Gabapentin etc)

If you are not comfortable in posting on this thread, if you could PM me, I would really appreciate it.

I am putting together a proposal for Addictions Ontario on the rising concerns of polypharmacy and it's impact on withdrawal management.

Twilight1
10-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Bumping in hopes someone may be able to help???

Aceon6
10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Have you tried the Dutch or Danish journals? From othervreading, those two countries seem to be most advanced on this topic.

altai_rose
10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Have you tried UpToDate?

It might be difficult to search for it on Pubmed, but I'd be really surprised if Pubmed didn't have it!

Twilight1
10-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I have found a few good things. I have to wait to get authorization through my hospital to get the full contents of some of the research being done and want to get clearance through the university here. I was student there so should be able to get it.

I am hoping to make a proposal in the future around different anti seizure meds that could be used instead of the addictive benzodiazepines for alcohol withdrawal. Also studies are being done using hypotensives like Atenlol and Clondine. We had a huge monetary contribution to fund addiction research at my hospital but I am also really interested in least intrusive, mono-pharmotherapy (IF) that is what would be best for the patient/ client.

I have used uptodate for some abstracts and some I can read the full article which IMHO is so much better than just the tiny summary or abstract.

I have read one study that was done using lithium for cocaine/ crack addiction (from Italy) and want to delve deeper into the prospect of bipolar disorder as a co-occuring disorder with cocaine/ crack as substance of choice.

I am also looking into adverse drug reactions and the implication this has on potential pharmotherapy for substance use disorders.

There is just so little info available to people who work in my field on these very important forms of treatment and doctors who are so quick to use benzodiazepines despite the high addictive aspects of them. Out patient withdrawal management is becoming the norm as is community withdrawal management yet something as simple as knowing a client is taking Wellbutrin for depression lowers their seizure threshold which impacts their withdrawal from alcohol.

Seems what the Governement of Canada deems as best practice forgets the fact that more and more people take medications which impact many aspects of addiction treatment. Yet we are not being trained on these serious implications.

I love working front line with clients but I also want to make sure that they get the very best treatment possible and that means going behind the scenes and raising a stink...as politely as I can lol!