PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir interview in "Time Out New York"

LadyNit
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
New interview? I got the link from the NPR Blog "Monkey See"

http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/dance/2077107/johnny-weir?page=0,0

caseyedwards
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
That was a longer interview than anticipated. He wants to skate to Carmen? LOL. That's not unique or interesting.

Cupid
10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I do hope to see him on DWTS soon! At least the show would be interesting again! I think he'd do great.

IceIceBaby
10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the link!
It was interesting to read that he would like to be choreographed by Nikolai Tsiskaridze, who is my fave ballet dancer!:encore:
I hope he will come back next season!

kittyjake5
10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the article. Always nice to hear from Johnny.

BittyBug
10-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Very interesting interview - thanks, LadyNit. I thought this quip was quite insightful:

You lay back there, and you wait for 45 minutes before you actually compete, and it is just the biggest pressure-filled 45 minutes that you’ll ever have in your life. And it’s so hard to learn to do that, and the great competitors of the world know how and they understand it, but that’s one thing that I was never really programmed for—I was programmed to perform, and that was me. I still think, competitively, I’ve had my moments of greatness, but I’ve had terrible moments as well on a national and international stage, and that’s just something that takes time. It’s much easier for somebody who’s been competing since they were five to compete when they’re 25. It’s like a language also: If you learn English and Spanish when you’re born, you’re most likely going to be able to hold English and Spanish your whole life, but if you start to learn Spanish when you’re 10 or 15 it may not be as easy to hold onto it. So competitively I could have been better. [Laughs]

Totally agree with his take on ITNY. They are definitely completely different than any other ice show, and well worth seeing if anyone ever has the chance.

aftershocks
10-21-2011, 02:21 AM
That was a longer interview than anticipated. He wants to skate to Carmen? LOL. That's not unique or interesting.

:lol: It is in the way that Johnny said he would like to skate to it.

Johnny:

I got super inspired looking at old skating videos. I watched Katarina Witt do Carmen at the Calgary Olympics, and for modern skating, she didn’t really do anything that outrageous or difficult, but she was Carmen on the ice, and that’s what I would like to try to do. It’s the same as if I did Dancing with the Stars—I would want to be taught to dance the women’s parts because I can probably do the male part pretty easily. But I would love to dance with Max [Maksim Chmerkovskiy] and learn to do the girl’s side. That would be more difficult for me. So dancing Carmen and skating Carmen seems like such an interesting idea. I am super effeminate, but to be a Spanish lady with all that passion and fire would be such a stretch for me, and it would challenge me. I’d like that.