PDA

View Full Version : Former Canadian competitor commits suicide

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

fsfan22
10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Ottawa Citizen article (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/year+city+councillor+Hubley+dies+suddenly/5557511/story.html)

Globe and Mail article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/bullying-partly-to-blame-in-ottawa-teens-suicide-father-says/article2204647/)

Jamie was a skater from the Eastern Ontario section here in Canada.

It's really disheartening to hear stories like this ...

quebecoise
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
:( that's really sad

Badams
10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
:( how sad. May he rest in peace. I don't think I could live with myself if I knew my actions were responsible for the suicide of another. But then, I'm not a bully. There's obviously a degree of humanity missing in a bully.

skatesindreams
10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
My deepest sympathy to Jamie's family and friends.
It's distressing that these "bullies" have learned nothing about the consequences of their behaviour from other similar tragedies.

Beefcake
10-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Longer article with quotes from Jamie documenting his struggles (www.ottawacitizen.com/life/year+Jamie+Hubley+lonely+acceptance/5559352/story.html)

[Jamie's words on the "It Gets Better" movement:]

I don't want to wait three more years. This hurts too much. ...
:( Heartbreaking. Life, as the poor boy said, isn't Glee. Despite things being better for LBGT kids, it's not what it should be.

We marvel at how many resources gay kids have over what we gay kids of the 70s and 80s had ... the Internet, an abundance of other role models and organizations. But, there is still a mountain of challenges to endure for a young person if he or she comes out. The closet that we "elders" were forced stayed safely tucked into was also a safe place ... usually minimizing (if not eliminating) the taunting and bullying. We were able to gain strength, and then come out later in life. An out kid today is still going to have to be strong enough to endure taunts, whispers, and jokes at a minimum. Bullying and threats, perhaps. That is a tall order for a teenager.

RIP Jamie. :(

Wyliefan
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Poor baby. :( R.I.P.

BittyBug
10-18-2011, 05:25 PM
What a tragic loss. :( My sympathies to his parents, family and friends.

floskate
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Such a tragedy. My sympathy to his family and friends. RIP Jamie. :(

Rock2
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm gathering that the internet and social media have collided to make bullying easier to do and in a more cowardly way -- behind close doors sitting at their computer. That combined with the in-person stuff probably feels like a tidal wave.

I hope there's some shred of good that can come of this via stronger efforts to collaborate to solve this problem.

If I was the parents I'd probably live out my life going around to schools telling a very poignant story. But not everyone can do that; it's very tough to be public about it and regularly relive the heartache of losing a child.

Vash01
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Shocking and sad. :( RIP Jamie.

It must be so hard for his family and friends! My sympathies to them.

Cheylana
10-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Longer article with quotes from Jamie documenting his struggles (www.ottawacitizen.com/life/year+Jamie+Hubley+lonely+acceptance/5559352/story.html)
Ugh, that was so difficult to read his sense of utter hopelessness. My eyes welled up. :(

I wonder what medications he was taking. Certain antidepressants can actually make teenagers suicidal.

Frau Muller
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
So very sad. RIP, Jamie Hubley.

Willowway
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
The word "tragic" is overused today. But here it is appropriate. For such a young person to have no hope, to think that suicide is the only solution is tragic.

If each of us in his or her own small and personal way can take on this tragedy by making our local world a little more open or nurturing for anyone who could be treated as "different" or "the other" then Jamie will be remembered in a meaningful and important way.

Pikachuusb
10-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Soon sad :( may he rest in peace

overedge
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I read this very sad story and thought about some of the high-school-age male figure skaters I know, who often get tormented at school with homophobic slurs just because they are skaters (when most of them are straight). And some have dropped out of the sport, as much as they loved it, because they got tired of dealing with the abuse from their peers.

I can only imagine that the abuse would be that much more relentless for a boy who was out, *and* was involved in figure skating, *and* loved dance and music. I really feel for this poor child.