PDA

View Full Version : Former Canadian competitor commits suicide

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

oleada
10-19-2011, 04:44 PM
This is just so sad :(
RIP Jamie. My thoughts go out to his family.

nubka
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Tragic and so sad. :( :( :( :(

cygnus
10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
This is a local story for me. They just had an absolutely heartbreaking interview with his father (a local politician) on the radio. So sad. RIP Jamie.:(

skatesindreams
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
cynus, will the station put it online/make it available for "non-locals? (I'm in the US.)
I'd like to hear what Jamie's father said.

cygnus
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
cynus, will the station put it online/make it available for "non-locals? (I'm in the US.)
I'd like to hear what Jamie's father said.

It was the local CBC station, so it might go in the archives on the CBC site- I'll check later if you like- it was a short interview. If you want to search yourself it was the noontime "Ontario Today" show. Right now there's a phone-in on growing up gay. http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/today/cbc_radio_one

If a link for the interview itself comes up in the next day or two, I'll put it up.

skatesindreams
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you!

numbers123
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
How sad. We might say that technology has improved our lives and while it has, there are some ways that it has harmed us. Social media and blogs take bullying to a whole new level and it becomes more permanent than the gossip mill that used to exist.

People should accept each other for who they are. I feel for the family and the pain that Jamie felt in this life.

YukiNieve
10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
All I can say is this is so sad.

MLIS
10-19-2011, 08:22 PM
His father, an Ottawa city councillor, has posted a statement on his website: http://councillorallanhubley.ca/

Louise
10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
The people who did that to him should have been charged with attempted murder.

Or at the VERY least assault. What the hell happened?

This really upsets me, and the old way of "boys will be boys" or whatever and a kid like this just has to be abused to an inch of his life? I could rant on how the American right wing does not want to include 'the gay' in the bullying criteria. But Christ, a kid is dealing with batteries shoved down his throat? I really can't believe it, or don't want to. That is not bullying, it's not saying bitchy things in the lunch line, that is assault and battery. What's with these schools that they will tolerate this kind of behavior?

I didn't see how he suicided. Did he OD? It's hard for a kid to suicide unless he jumps in front of a train.

numbers123
10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I didn't see how he suicided. Did he OD? It's hard for a kid to suicide unless he jumps in front of a train.

not true. Kids can commit suicide in many of the same ways adults do. hanging, shooting, etc. It makes no difference on how he did - he did. We should focus on how to stop the violence against gay teens.

Moka-Ananas
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I read his blog earlier this evening and I was :eek: and :fragile: at the same time...I can't believe stuff like this is still happening...we are living in the 21st century...why is tolerance still such an issue?
What is wrong with people?!

AragornElessar
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Or at the VERY least assault. What the hell happened

It's called the Youth Offenders Act of Canada and it ties the hands of the Police like you wouldn't believe. I have Cousins and the husband of a good friend on the Police Services of various Cities in Ontario, and one Cousin an Officer w/the Ontario Provincial Police, and the frustrations they have w/this piece of legistation is beyond high. It truly keeps them from doing what needs to be done in cases such as this and lets the ones who are at fault basically get away w/whatever they've done.

Overhauling this law is an ongoing favourite promise here in Canada during Federal Election Season, but while tweaks have taken place, the very badly needed overhaul and updating the Act requires has yet to take place. Usually when the Police Chief Association of Canada have their Annual Meeting, this is always at the top of the list of their top concerns they want Parliment to deal w/. It hasn't happened yet though.

And yes, I know...I'm crossing the line between here and PI, but Mods, please have patience as it truly was the answer to the question Louise asked.

This really upsets me, and the old way of "boys will be boys" or whatever and a kid like this just has to be abused to an inch of his life? I could rant on how the American right wing does not want to include 'the gay' in the bullying criteria. But Christ, a kid is dealing with batteries shoved down his throat? I really can't believe it, or don't want to. That is not bullying, it's not saying bitchy things in the lunch line, that is assault and battery. What's with these schools that they will tolerate this kind of behavior?

Keep in mind this happened in Canada. While I know this is something that happens on both sides of the Border, this sad story happened in Canada. Also what I quoted belongs more in PI than here.

Let's not turn this thread down that road please. That's what PI is for.

marbri
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1170/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Was just reading this statement from Skate Canada, thought I'd share.

skatesindreams
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
^^^
Thanks for sharing the statement.